Music theory

As a child, I learned to be a passable piano player, a beginner trumpet player, and a so so guitarist. Years went by and now I’ve no idea how to play a piano or trumpet anymore, but can barely get by with a guitar.

I’ve been watching Marty Schwartz YouTube videos to brush up on guitar. He is awesome, by the way, if you’d like to learn guitar. A couple of episodes touched on music theory, which I was never taught at all, and it has me captivated.

I know we have musicians among us. Is there a seminal book or program that explains music theory in a way my tiny brain can comprehend it?

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators

We had every instrument imagined growing up. So I play piano, guitar, saxophone, trombone (been a few years on that one), drums, organ, trumpet and several others. Music is an awesome thing. 

Rick Beato has some neat courses. Has 2 YouTube channels that I like very much also. He's Just about the music and talent. Has interviews with great musicians. 

https://rickbeato.com/

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I’m wanna be a bass man when I grow up, but lack of talent and dedication to the craft is holding me back, not to mention the complete lack of knowing what one note sounds like versus another.

My music theory is that I’m not good at it other than making obnoxious, but groovy beats on random objects to annoy my wife.

I do love music though.

20 years ago I bought a saxophone and was determined to learn to play it. I managed to make some noise, but that was all. My brother was a good enough bass guitarist to try to make a living at it, but he eventually decided it would be better to eat regularly.

I played trumpet from middle school into my first couple years of college.  Strangley enough, I never really learned much about music theory. I decided to get a guitar shortly after and have managed to get to a low level of mediocrity with it, but again never really learned theory, just songs.  

Fast forward 25 years and I started playing in the praise band at church with some real musicians. That really forced me to go learn some theory so I could (barely) keep up with them. I loved it and was having a great time playing and learning. Unfortunately it ended pretty quickly for reasons beyond our control. But I still like playing and learning.

All that said....  Rick Beato, Marty Swartz, Paul Davids, Justin guitar are my go-to sources.  They all have class packages you can sign up for, though I haven't.  I also have the guitar music theory for dummies book, and it's not bad.  I know I'd get better if I signed up for any of those classes but its a time/money commitment that's hard with busy family life. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Luckyforward said:

I do play two instruments:  CD player and the car radio . . .

If you learn a bit about the science behind the music, you will hear music in a whole new way. It is well worth the effort in my opinion, even if you do not intend to learn how to play an instrument .

• Moderators

The mathematics of music is a beautiful thing. 

I drive my wife nuts sometimes saying listen to that diminished 7th chord, or that minor chord dropped in during the change was epic. How chords are voiced has always intrigued me. 

I can read music very well but was originally taught to play by ear. I was blessed learning this way but didn't know it until years later. 

Enjoy the journey. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

I drive my wife nuts sometimes saying listen to that diminished 7th chord, or that minor chord dropped in during the change was epic. How chords are voiced has always intrigued me. 

I can read music very well but was originally taught to play by ear. I was blessed learning this way but didn't know it until years later. 

Enjoy the journey. 

You get me! I think music appreciation is a math nerd’s domain.

My wife hears the words of a song, and maybe the  beat. This frustrates me as there is so much more involved one can appreciate.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
18 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

You get me! I think music appreciation is a math nerd’s domain.

My wife hears the words of a song, and maybe the  beat. This frustrates me as there is so much more involved one can appreciate.

That's funny. I can listen to songs and never listen/hear any of the words. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TripleGGG said:

Enjoy the journey. 

Chord voicings are what I've been trying to learn more about lately. There's so many different ways to play a G chord, and figuring out which one works best in a certain place in a certain song and why is difficult and rewarding.  

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
21 minutes ago, peejman said:

Chord voicings are what I've been trying to learn more about lately. There's so many different ways to play a G chord, and figuring out which one works best in a certain place in a certain song and why is difficult and rewarding.  

Franz Liszt pieces with 4 sharps are some of my favorite chord voicings. 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I’ve learned a LOT the last little bit, but I’ll sure be glad when I get to the application portion of the program!😄

It's like everything, prepping the foundation sucks. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 6:21 PM, TripleGGG said:

It's like everything, prepping the foundation sucks. Lol. 

So I've got somewhat of a handle on major and minor diatonic  and pentatonic scales. I'm beginning to work on triads. Does that sound like a good direction? I haven't delved too deep into modes yet, but I know they await. I'll take any advice I can get at this point.