9mm brass

I carried it to a local scrapyard. The guy said we don't buy ammo brass. What, I bought some 223/556 cases not to long ago. Yep, the guy got mad cause we wouldn't buy it, left it, gone before we could stop him. You got it before we could figure out what to do with it.

My son said decap them, run fishing line through as many as needed for a slinky sinker.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 5 gallon buckets of 9mm brass to get rid of. Can't find a buyer for spent cases in my area.

I first posted this in the reloading section. Someone thought I was running an ad and I got a warning. I posted here to clear things up.

37 minutes ago, DeepSouth said:

I posted here to clear things up.

It's still not clear DeepSouth. Are you giving it away? Do you want to sell it?聽 Are you just asking for comment?

I was surprised that a recycler wouldn't take it.聽 Maybe post it on LSN or Craigslist and a local reloader may want it.

• Like 1

Asking for comments on where to get rid of it, make a little for my time would be great.聽

I called my local RangeUSA and asked who got their cases, Western. Western what? I searched, Western Reloading? I searched their site. All I saw was new cases like Starline.

9mm cases aren't worth trying to sell to reloaders. One comment I got was, why buy it when you can pick up all you need at most any range for free. On another site I was asked what other cases I had. I filled a large flat rate box with dirty sorted brass in bags for a cheaper price than average.

Ads on craigslist gun related get closed fast. Lead listed for sinkers and other casting projects will sometimes stay. Add bullets to the ad and it's closed. Brass cases gets closed.

Marketplace, I see some reloading stuff listed in Tools. Some stay and others are closed. Depends on what it is.

Yeah, 9mm brass can be picked up at the range pretty easily, and you won't get much for it unless you process it first. I think it would be pretty easy to sell, cheap, on this forum if you were in Tennessee.聽 There are surely quite a few members in the Memphis area. Maybe try an ad in the classifieds here?聽 If you just want to be rid of it, but don't want to throw it away, you can take it to a local range and leave it with a "free" sign on it.聽 Or check around to see if there's another recycler near you who might buy it for scrap.

2 smaller indoor ranges I've used in the past. 3 scrapyards in north Memphis. I'll get their numbers and give them a call.

My son likes to melt aluminum for ant hills. A bit more heat needed to melt brass, might sell some ingots easier.

On 3/8/2024 at 10:12 AM, DeepSouth said:

2 smaller indoor ranges I've used in the past. 3 scrapyards in north Memphis. I'll get their numbers and give them a call.

My son likes to melt aluminum for ant hills. A bit more heat needed to melt brass, might sell some ingots easier.

How much were you trying to get for the two five gallon buckets? 聽Is it range pick-up or factory once-fired? 聽There absolutely are reloaders who will buy it, processed or not. 聽You can post it for sale in the Classifieds section if you buy a membership.

Edited by deerslayer
On 3/8/2024 at 10:12 AM, DeepSouth said:

My local recycler won鈥檛 take ammunition brass either. I usually save up a bucket or two and give them to a guy I know that melts them into ingots. I then recycle it and split the cash with him.聽

• Like 1
2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

How much were you trying to get for the two five gallon buckets? 聽Is it range pick-up or factory once-fired? 聽There absolutely are reloaders who will buy it, processed or not. 聽You can post it for sale in the Classifieds section if you buy a membership.

Traveling through TN years ago I stopped at Stones River gun range. They collected cases, separated brass, steel, aluminum and 22's. Tumbled and bagged per 100, sold for $3 per 100. Special pistol and rifle cases were $5 per 100. That would give me the idea of pistol cases worth .03 each. By the chart 9mm has 117.7 cases per lb. The scrapyards that list scrap prices near me show brass at .90 per lb.

Of all the websites I've posted about looking for a way to get rid of these cases by selling for reloading or scrap I had 1 reply wanting to know what other cases I had. The buyer offered me .02 per case for the dirty range pick up. Saved me time dealing with washing and tumbling.

1 hour ago, Danger Rane said:

My local recycler won鈥檛 take ammunition brass either. I usually save up a bucket or two and give them to a guy I know that melts them into ingots. I then recycle it and split the cash with him.聽

Yep, time to get the charcoal Furness heated up.

5 minutes ago, DeepSouth said:

Traveling through TN years ago I stopped at Stones River gun range. They collected cases, separated brass, steel, aluminum and 22's. Tumbled and bagged per 100, sold for $3 per 100. Special pistol and rifle cases were $5 per 100. That would give me the idea of pistol cases worth .03 each. By the chart 9mm has 117.7 cases per lb. The scrapyards that list scrap prices near me show brass at .90 per lb.

Of all the websites I've posted about looking for a way to get rid of these cases by selling for reloading or scrap I had 1 reply wanting to know what other cases I had. The buyer offered me .02 per case for the dirty range pick up. Saved me time dealing with washing and tumbling.

I have bought 5 gallon buckets of cleaned (not processed) 9mm brass for $100 from a local guy in the past. 聽I think a full 5 gallon bucket is 8-9000 cases. 聽Yes, anybody can pick it up for free, but $100 to not pick up and clean 9000 cases was worth it to me. 聽I still think you could sell it locally. 聽Selling it online and having to ship it will complicate things. 聽

• 2 weeks later...

Dad left me a box of parts from his travels. A Lee C frame mounted on a board, C clamps with a few tools. The company would send 2 coworkers to other cities for a week of classroom training. He was sent to Pittsburg, PA once. He searched craigslist and found a 5 gal. bucket of 38spl casings for $35, the guy wanted $50. It was a short detour from the airport to the motel. During that week he decapped all the casings. Taped the lid on the bucket for the flight home. We always wondered what house cleaning thought about the trashcan full of primers.聽