SB2923 Firearm Safety education in schools

From what I have heard on it, it seems like a good program.  I believe they have put some tight criteria on it to keep it as non-biased as possible to a political ideology.  Even so, many democratic leaders are against it.  I think they are afraid to let in anything that could make people become more familiar with firearms as it could erode their position.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DHF said:

From what I have heard on it, it seems like a good program.  I believe they have put some tight criteria on it to keep it as non-biased as possible to a political ideology.  Even so, many democratic leaders are against it.  I think they are afraid to let in anything that could make people become more familiar with firearms as it could erode their position.

There is actually wiggle room in the DNC for this. I think we need to keep holding their feet to the fire. For the past 60 years the Gun Control Lobby has gotten every wet dream they ever have had when it comes to erroding either the public's trust with firearms or the 2A itself. If the worn out and recurring statement is, "If it only saved one life." Then why would we not have community outreach or public education on firearm safety? 

• Like 2

Maybe we’ll get back to where we were when I was going to school. They taught us gun safety and we didn’t have school shootings. Stop feeding kids drugs to control them. Oh well wishful thinking. 

• Like 1
On 2/24/2024 at 11:08 AM, DHF said:

Have you seen any of what's supposed to be in the criteria? I was curious about that. 

1 hour ago, timcar86 said:

Have you seen any of what's supposed to be in the criteria? I was curious about that. 

I heard them talking about it on 99.7 WWTN when I was driving to the Nashville TFA meeting last week.  They went over it in detail on the air but I do not have anything off hand to refer you to.

Id love to make it a complete .5 credit course in the high school

Broken up by Week (Block Schedule):

1. Mindset and Defensive Skills
  2. History of the Second Amendment
  3. Basic Firearms Safety
  4. TN ECP Course
  5. Defensive Handgun
  6. TCCC Medical Course part 1
  7. TCCC part 2
  8. Carbine Basics
  9. Shotgun Basics
On 2/27/2024 at 10:49 AM, Thearmededucator said:

Id love to make it a complete .5 credit course in the high school

Broken up by Week (Block Schedule):

1. Mindset and Defensive Skills
  2. History of the Second Amendment
  3. Basic Firearms Safety
  4. TN ECP Course
  5. Defensive Handgun
  6. TCCC Medical Course part 1
  7. TCCC part 2
  8. Carbine Basics
  9. Shotgun Basics

Ok, by the text of the bill, this is out. What would you like to see included in a course?

My initial thoughts are obviously the 4 Rules, plus the 4 Kid Rules for elelmentary age (Stop, Dont Touch, Move away, Tell an Adult), 4 Rules, plus how to clear a firearm for middle school, and the Legal portion of the ECP class for the high school

• Like 1
On 3/10/2024 at 7:16 AM, gregintenn said:

As long as the content is similar to the hunter safety education course and it is not politicized somehow, I don’t see how it could be a bad thing.

I've said for years that the hunter safety course should be taught in school.
They're gonna need it anyway to get a license to hunt.
I had it in Vo Ag class in 1981.
Dunno when they dropped it.

And the majority of the classroom work for the carry permit was simply a rehash of the same stuff.
I asked the instructor I had why hunter education course didn't qualify toward HCP.
I've asked my Rep the same question since then .... I never got an answer from either.

• Like 2

It is ridiculous politicians oppose firearm safety courses.  Firearms are prevalent in our society and nearly every single person will be in proximity to a firearm at various times of their lives (whether they know it or not). Schools teach fire safety, drug awareness, and many other health and safety related topics in schools so why not firearms safety?  

• Like 3
On 3/11/2024 at 8:14 AM, HKfanTN said:

why not firearms safety?  

Because if you train kids on how to use them safely, then you'll have a generation of kids that likely respect them. That's detrimental to their ultimate agenda, disarming the population.

• Like 3
On 3/11/2024 at 7:35 AM, DL126 said:

I've said for years that the hunter safety course should be taught in school.
They're gonna need it anyway to get a license to hunt.
I had it in Vo Ag class in 1981.
Dunno when they dropped it.

And the majority of the classroom work for the carry permit was simply a rehash of the same stuff.
I asked the instructor I had why hunter education course didn't qualify toward HCP.
I've asked my Rep the same question since then .... I never got an answer from either.

I got my hunter safety card in '93 or '94 in highschool. "Wildlife and Forestry" was the name of the class. Also got training on bows and pump shotguns during class trips to the teachers farm.

• 4 weeks later...

I am gong to teach a 5 member family about guns in the near future. A young father at my church has stated he want his boys, and wife to be introduced to guns, and I am the man for the job. Even told me last Sunday the boys have inherited a shotgun from an uncle and he wants to bring it. Told him yes. SOON 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1