What brand of ammunition do you use in your carry weapon?

Sinterfire is a far more legitimate company than RBCD or Extreme Shock. Their bullets are loaded by several of the major ammunition companies as 'lead free' practice ammo...

But, they are not over-hyped as super-duper defense loads... simply frangible to prevent ricochets and lead exposure.

A projectile generally cannot be an effective stopper unless it can resist deformation, fragmentation or destabilization in soft tissue for long enough to penetrate sufficiently deep to destroy vital organs. This is why controlled expansion is so-far the most predictable way to decelerate a bullet in a given medium, at a desired rate. Not fool-proof, but truly less dependent on, or sensitive to, external ballistic variables such as fragmentation and projectile tumbling.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sinterfire is a far more legitimate company than RBCD or Extreme Shock. Their bullets are loaded by several of the major ammunition companies as 'lead free' practice ammo...

But, they are not over-hyped as super-duper defense loads... simply frangible to prevent ricochets and lead exposure.

Actually, much the same can be said for Extreme Shock. They aren't bad bullets, just marketed in a ridiculous fashion.

Extreme Shock, somewhere in that mess of a website, tells us that their rounds are used by Special Forces. I found out that is true by making a couple of calls to some of my SF friends. (One guy pretty much called me a liar for reporting this, BTW. He couldn't find the government contract for the purchase. Not all military purchases go through such contracts, however. I shall not say more....) Anyway, SF does use the rounds. But they are not used in the field. They are used as practice rounds to keep from destroying their metal targets, and fragment/ricochet problems and eliminate lead contamination. That isn't the impression Extreme Shock wants to give though.

Those are some freaking EXPENSIVE practice sessions, using Extreme Shock!!!

Your tax dollars at work.

I don't think Ammolab has any of the old stuff online anymore about much of anything. Anyway, I couldn't find a page referencing BMT rounds, so this is from my archive of the Ammolab BMT page:

Preliminary SEM Elemental Analysis of RBCD/LeMas/Blended Metal ammunition has been completed on .45 ACP bullets sent to us from two different colleagues who had received ammunition samples from Stan Bulmer of LeMas. As can be seen in the photos, in addition to a typical copper jacket, the RBCD bullets analyzed were fabricated with a nylon core (that gets variably squished and deformed during manufacture, resulting in inconsistent bullet CG) and metal nose portion that turns out to be composed of LEAD, with slight amounts of antimony. In other words, the RBCD bullets are lightweight, high-velocity, lead nosed Jacketed Soft Points.

427181122_86b057fe43.jpg

427181194_c189891995.jpg

.45 ACP - 230gr. Federal Hydra-shok in my Kimber. I have always loaded this since the mid 90s when G&A and Handguns authors used to talk about the Fuller index of one shot stops and the 230gr. HS was the top .45 load. I'm assuming no one takes the Fuller index seriously anymore because I never read about it anymore but it's still a good load and the most accurate in my Kimber, and reliable.

In my XD-9 I currently have it loaded with 115gr Remington HP for the simple reason that I bought 3 boxes of 100 for $12ea and have shot up everything else. But, I have 15 of them ready to go, their fast, accurate, and reliable. Someday soon everything is going to be .45ACP though.

That looks like a Federal EFMJ or Cor-Bon Pow'rBall, just with the polymer ball behind the lead, instead of in front of it...

I talked to the Federal factory guy in person at a show about the EFMJs. Basically I got a duh look. I guess they aren't working out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got Remington Golden Saber 165gr .40 S&W in my XD.

Didn't know a thing about brand or whatever when I bought them. Just was told to get 165 gr. and that's the only JHP the local shop had in 165 gr.

Come to think of it, that was the only JHP the local shop had in .40 S&W...

I need to find another local shop, I think. :eek:

I've got Remington Golden Saber 165gr .40 S&W in my XD.

Didn't know a thing about brand or whatever when I bought them. Just was told to get 165 gr. and that's the only JHP the local shop had in 165 gr.

Come to think of it, that was the only JHP the local shop had in .40 S&W...

I need to find another local shop, I think. :eek:

Ordering online is sometimes cheaper, and certainly gives you more options:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_26

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40sw_bib.htm

http://east.outdoormarksman.com/index.php?cPath=65_1_16

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browseammo.aspx?c=95&s=928

http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_40.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bazookazilla

I have 165 gr Hydra Shoks for my .40S&W but am thinking about switching to 135 gr Hydra Shoks. My wife has never shot my pistol before and I think the lower recoil may make it easier for her to shoot if she ever has too. I have been trying to get her to come to the range with me and get familiar with the gun but she hasn't yet. I think she will, and I think she will enjoy it when she finally does, but I'm just not sure when that will be. Any thoughts on the 135 gr?

I'm no expert on Federal ammo, but I've heard from several sources that Federal 165gr HS is the lightest recoiling .40 SD ammo Federal makes... (gun-rag articles, word of mouth, etc...) Supposedly, even their 135gr has more recoil.

Now, I've never tried them for comparison, but their 165gr loads are pretty anemic on paper (even for Federal).

Probably won't notice much of a difference... honestly. The 135gr will be louder though, since they're higher velocity.

Another vote for Federal Hydra-shoks. :mad:

Thanks for the info. But is there any cheaper for just target practice? Now I use theReloads in the orange box. But I heard they would void a Glock Factory Warranty (if they found out)! Is that true?

I use the Winchester White Box (WWB) from Wal-Mart for range use. They are about $22 for a box of 100 in Murfreesboro.

Would these be good for carrying?

It depends on you application.

If your application is shooting someone inside a pressurized aircraft, or shooting someone and watching them die later at the hospital (provide they don’t have a weapon and shoot you); then a frangible round is a good choice.

If your application is to “Stop the threat†or to cause your opponent to be unable or unwilling to fire his weapon at you a frangible round is probably the worst choice you could make.

Guest looneeetunes

I USE GOLD DOT 45, AND 40. MY WAY OF THINKING I DONT WANT A THRU AND THRU AND HIT SOMEONE INNOCENT, BUT WITH THESE CALS. DONT KNOW IF EVEN HOLLOW POINTS WOULDNT GO THRU

I USE GOLD DOT 45, AND 40. MY WAY OF THINKING I DONT WANT A THRU AND THRU AND HIT SOMEONE INNOCENT, BUT WITH THESE CALS. DONT KNOW IF EVEN HOLLOW POINTS WOULDNT GO THRU

Hollow points are designed to expand and come apart inside a target, so chances are they will not pass through. This is a reason police departments use hollow points, and intelligent armed citizens. Not that hollow is the only choice.. there is the Pow'r Ball ammo, but full metal jacketed ammo is NOT a smart choice in your carry gun for anything other than shooting targets.

Well they haven't mailed my permit yet so I don't carry yet, but I bought a few different brands and shot them all and I felt the most comfortable with and was most accurate with gold dots. Specifically 9mm 124g +P gold dots. So that is what I will be carrying once my permit arrives.

Hollow points are designed to expand and come apart inside a target, so chances are they will not pass through. This is a reason police departments use hollow points, and intelligent armed citizens...

but full metal jacketed ammo is NOT a smart choice in your carry gun for anything other than shooting targets.

I generally agree with you, for the reasons you state. Lots of people don't understand the rationale of HP rounds.

I do make one exception for "street" rounds. I like FMJ for 380 Auto. It's a slower, lower mass round. It is unlikely to over-penetrate. Anything larger gets HP for urban use.

In my Bodyguard I use SPeer GD 135gr. I just liked them. I tried the Buffalo Bore 158gr LHP +P+ and it was too much. Buffalo Bores are loaded to full power specs. I do carry 6 as a reload though.

All hollow points have optimal velocities: too fast and it will fragment and no penetrate enough. Too slow and it wont expand. Shotgun News had an article that mentioned off hand that the ideal load for 9mm was 147gr sub sonic. I never heard that one before.

I have some Lapua CEPP-mega 9mm in the shop. It is a solid point profile with hollow point characteristics. I cant wait to try that one out.

Hollow point rounds raise a lot of questions about how they will react in a given circumstance. The idea is that they open up to dissipate energy and increase the size of the wound channel. Unfortunately, there are a lot of factors that determine the actual actions.

155463487_1dfbb47f93.jpg

This is a 9mm Hydra-Shok that went through a 1" oak chair seat at close range.The hard wood prevented expansion of the bullet. Might do the same with a sternum or rib. Some HPs don't expand properly when fired through a jean jacket.

You just have to choose a round based on what it is expected to do, and hope that is what happens. But it's always good to try to plan a shot to reduce the posibility of collateral damage. In a lot of self-protection scenarios, there isn't time for that.

Guest mrnord

Since I'm on an extreme budget and cannot reload, I use WWB 180g JHPs for carry. and Blazer Brass 180g FMJs for (when I can afford) practice. Would LIKE to use Speer Glod Dot or Hydroshocks. My G22 doesn't like 165g anything, but I haven't tried anything lighter.

Carl

Guest duckriverdave

I did have WWB HPs but now that I reload 9mms, I will get me some hollow points to reload. Any suggestions?

drd

Guest Chemsoldier

-Cor-Bon for the G23

-I started out with Silvertips for the G20 and then moved to Cor-Bons. I have a box of 10mm Black Talons but I am saving that for a rainy day or zombie uprising or something.

-Gold Dot for the Kel-Tec P3-AT

I did have WWB HPs but now that I reload 9mms, I will get me some hollow points to reload. Any suggestions?

I've heard good things about reloading Speer Gold Dots, but I've never reloaded 9mm.

I have a box of 10mm Black Talons but I am saving that for a rainy day or zombie uprising or something.

Chem, I've never even thought about them making Black Talons in 10mm. I'd say those are quite a rarity and worth quite a bit as a collectible.