Shaking hand - range firing

Hi everyone,

Lately when I'd go to the range, I can fire 100 - 200 rounds before my hands get tired. I am usually rock steady (at least for a while) My right hand (dominant hand) begins shaking just a tad after that.

Today after I fired just a few shots through my 1911, then went to my 9mm, my right hand started shaking pretty bad. I couldn't calm it down no matter how tight or how lose I gripped.

I can certainly hit the target at 7 yds, but I don't know what to do to calm it down.

Am I weak and out of shape?? Thoughts? Comments?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same problem yesterday right arm also,I think sometimes its from tightening a persons arm muscles,not sure why it happens but its darn irritating.Shake around like a person has some kind of disease,old timers.:screwy:

I dunno if it will help but grip the pistol like you would if you were holding a bird, not so tightly that you squish it but not so loose that it flies away. I believe at the moment of truth, when you pull the trigger your grip pressure will increase enough to not let the gun get away from you, but will not be so stressful as to get the shaky grip syndrome.

I dunno, that is how I try to do it.

IME, steadiness comes primarily with development through practice, though I have noted correlation between blood sugar levels and shakiness. I try to eat something before range trips to help avoid this...

I dunno if it will help but grip the pistol like you would if you were holding a bird, not so tightly that you squish it but not so loose that it flies away. I believe at the moment of truth, when you pull the trigger your grip pressure will increase enough to not let the gun get away from you, but will not be so stressful as to get the shaky grip syndrome.

I dunno, that is how I try to do it.

Neat it has its own name,think a person could qualify for SSI-Disability.:screwy:

though I have noted correlation between blood sugar levels and shakiness. I try to eat something before range trips to help avoid this...

Same here and not just shooting either. Building plastic models is a good example where eating makes me steady. I don't know that every body is like that but I sure am.

Guest mikedwood
IME, steadiness comes primarily with development through practice, though I have noted correlation between blood sugar levels and shakiness. I try to eat something before range trips to help avoid this...

Yeah eating helps. Also cutting back on caffine.

Those grip builder things and some kind of strength exercise everyday as well.

If you really want to test yourself take up archery with a 60 or 70 pound bow.

Guest Ghostrider

You've probably thought of this, but if you take ANY meds, check the side effects.

I've had to start some meds now (too many birthdays) and it gives me an "intention tremor". The harder I try to hold my hands still - the more they shake. Sometimes I can wake up from a bad dream and my hands will shake for half an hour or more...

I used to train by holding gallon jugs with sand in them. It really helps with the shaking.

Just sit one on each side of the Lazy boy and raise them (arms straight) and hold for 10 seconds. When you can do that for 15 reps...add more sand. Like others have said, avoid caffeine and check on the meds.

I'm usually so excited to be at the range again my hands automatically shake. They usually sweat for the first few minutes then when I get calmed down they turn cold......the Doc says it's blood pressure dropping after getting so excited to be there....:cheers:

Just for grins, try the reverse: 9mm, then 1911 (assuming .45 here). But, as has been said: eat something.

When I practice golf on the range, I start with short irons, working backwards numerically. It's a lot easier to hit a sand wedge than a 2 or 3 iron. Warmup time is essential.