Info: Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm

Dunno exactly why, and probably can't find one anyway, but this Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .357/9mm single action has rather caught my fancy.

Maybe a worthwhile TEOTWAWKI piece, giving two options for scrounged ammo (yeah, admittedly far fetched fantasy land).

Does anybody own one, if so whatcha think?

I already know from reading that the 9mm option is significantly less accurate, but the way I shoot, doubt I'd notice. :lol:

260.jpg

- OS

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one brand new last May and have been thoroughly happy with it. I've only shot about 100 out of the 9mm cylinder but accuracy seemed fine. I've shot probably 1000 38/357's out of the other cylinder. Think I paid about $400 for it. One great thing about the Blackhawk's, they are built like tanks, I can't see ever wearing one out.l

Guest Bronker

Barely missed out, Chief!

I sold mine to SpacemanSpiff last summer. I had nearly the same range report as Strob2000 did, but not quite as many 9mm rounds. I found it to be very accurate, and per usual for Ruger revolvers, very tight and tough! I occasionally miss it.

I'll keep an eye out for you, Chief (that 'chief' joke shall never die!)

:koolaid:

Guest Mugster

I have a convertible in .45acp/lc. Quality piece, well built. My only gripe is with heavy loads I lose my grip and bang the middle finger of my firing hand on the trigger guard. Could be grips would fix this, but I haven't gotten serious. Its accurate enough if you find a load it likes.

On mine the acp headspaces on a recessed rim down in the cylinder. So you can load heavy bullets long. And the frame is strong. I can run 255-300 grainers loaded overlength in .45acp to basically whatever power level I want to run it up to. I believe 9mm works the same way, but I dunno for sure. So I *think* you could load up some pretty potent 9mm loads with heavy bullets.

I hunted it, but like most of my handgun excursions, didn't get lucky. I did pop a squirrel with a 260gr XTP bullet loaded pretty hot. Made a mess mostly.

In nashville, I'd know where to tell you to go to get one, but i dunno out in knoxvegas.

Guest Mugster
Ruger has been calling their single action revolvers "New" since the early 70s.:koolaid:

The old model had a normal hammer and could fire if dropped hammer down on a charged cylinder. The new model basically has a rising disconnect between the hammer and the firing pin. So, in theory, its safe to carry it hammer down on a full cylinder. Its also tougher to tune the trigger on the new models.

The old model had a normal hammer and could fire if dropped hammer down on a charged cylinder. The new model basically has a rising disconnect between the hammer and the firing pin. So, in theory, its safe to carry it hammer down on a full cylinder. ...

Yeah, the transfer bar thing.

Kind of hard to believe they made them as long as they did without one.

Heck I've got a Charter Arms snubbie made in the 60's that has that.

I guess "cowboy" revolvers were considered differently or something.

- OS

Guest 70below

Mac........you don't need another 9mm......you've got he venerable Hi-Point Carbine! Pull yourself together man! :D I probably wouldn't buy one, but I do love the Ruger Blackhawks.

I have one but in .44mag and I love it. It's my carry piece when I am in the woods. The balance and handling is really good for me. I am pretty accurate with it (especially for a 4-5/8" bbl). I got mine from Buds Gun Shop about a year ago.

I carry it in a Hunter's Company western holster and belt. I can carry it all day very comfortably. Here is the holster/belt setup that I use:

Cabela's -- Hunter Company Curved Loop Holster - Right-Hand

Guest Mugster
I have one but in .44mag and I love it. It's my carry piece when I am in the woods. The balance and handling is really good for me. I am pretty accurate with it (especially for a 4-5/8" bbl). I got mine from Buds Gun Shop about a year ago.

I carry it in a Hunter's Company western holster and belt. I can carry it all day very comfortably. Here is the holster/belt setup that I use:

That looks pretty good for $35. I'm putting it on my think it over list. They also fit in an M8 shoulder holster, so I've been carrying it like that out in the field. The barrel sticks out the bottom a little but that doesn't bother me.

That IS a pretty thang.

Does that just have a big loop that any belt goes through, or does it have some special way it laces to a big gunbelt only? I couldn't really tell how it is attaching to the belt in the pic.

- OS

That's pretty much the way traditional western holsters were made. Growing up I can remember watch Paladin on TV. He had one of those fancy Hollywood fastdraw holsters with the steel shank in the back and slung down low on the leg. Nothing authentic about. This loop holster is much more like a cowboy would have been wearing.

That IS a pretty thang.

Does that just have a big loop that any belt goes through, or does it have some special way it laces to a big gunbelt only? I couldn't really tell how it is attaching to the belt in the pic.

- OS

It is just a big loop that any belt can go through. It's nice because it is easy to slide around from strong side to a cross draw position - makes driving easier.

I'll take some pics of my setup with the Ruger and post them.

It is just a big loop that any belt can go through. It's nice because it is easy to slide around from strong side to a cross draw position - makes driving easier.

Very cool....

I'm almost as much a holster nut as a gun nut. :poop:

- OS

Guest Mugster

Please do. Looks like we all want one, lol.