• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

Look for cheap rock tumblers. If you don't have much to polish, just get an el cheapo in the kids section at the wally world. If you're careful with it, they'll last quite awhile.

I picked up mine at Harbor freight for $35 on sale...they run a sale on them a couple of times a year. Get the Corn Cob media at Wal-Mart for $3 and you are good to go.

Have had no problems with it at all...many, many hours of tumbling.

Guest Mugster

The old harbor freight $29.95 tumbler deal may be a wash guys. I sent a buddy down there awhile back and they were up to like $49.

At the one by hickory hollow, they are like in the second row from the far left wall as you face the store from the parking lot. They have a classic rock tumbler too, but I dunno if i'd buy that or not.

I wanted to add my two cents on this tumbler.

I was originally going to buy this model but changed my mind when I handled the Frankford next to the Lyman Pro 1200. The Lyman looks and feels like a much better tumbler.

I'm not saying the Frankford is a bad model. I just felt that the Lyman was well worth the extra $15 over the Frankford. I am very happy with the Lyman.

I have experience with both the Frankford and the Lyman tumblers. The motor on the Frankford died about 2 hours into it's first batch of brass. I sent it back to midway and the gave me credit towards the Lyman. I love the Lyman, and it's been running great for 3 years now.

I do like the Frankford media separator and Midway let me keep that. TGO David recently got the Lyman with the auto-flow kit and is less impressed with that feature, but likes the tumbler just fine.

Guest bang-flash

I have a Lyman unit. I bought it last year in June and the motor burned out, or something, about 3 months ago. I sent it back to Lyman and they replaced the motor. I typically overload it and run it for days at a time when cleaning large batches.

If I had to do it over again I would get the harbor freight unit and get the extended warranty. The warranty lets you get a new one no questions asked I heard.

Guest Mugster

I heard that too, but I didn't get the warranty anyway. So far so good, lol. It was only $33.00 in the door, so i'm not toooooo worried. Of course i'll be pissed if i have to buy something else.

I will ask the dumb question.

Other than making the brass all shiny, what is the purpose?

From what i've been told...the fouling and residue inside the brass can cause less "space" inside....therefore causing more pressure....

I have a used Franklin Arsonal tumbler and seperator I'll let go cheap. Shoot me an offer.

Awww man:confused:....I'm just getting into reloading and have no idea what stuff is worth...

I guess I'll ask the dumb questions:

how old is it?

how "used" is it?

shipping costs?

And how cheap is cheap?

• 2 years later...

Was gonna post a new topic but decided to search because I knew that there would already be a topic about it.

Anyway, this Frankford tumbler that I bought back in 2008 died today. Been running some large batches the past week. Unloaded it earlier and was getting ready to start a new batch, but it just won't go. Motor sounds like it's running but it does not work. Time for a new one. By rereading this topic, seems like a lot of people like the Lyman's.

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
cause I can't spell
Anyway, this Frankford tumbler that I bought back in 2008 died today. Been running some large batches the past week. Unloaded it earlier and was getting ready to start a new batch, but it just won't go. Motor sounds like it's running but it does not work.

Take it apart! :cool:

Really, it's already broken. If you take it apart, it's not like you're going to hurt it. Flip it upside down and take that bottom cover plate off, you can see pretty much everything in there. Obviously, unplug it first.

Mine quit working a while back, I took it apart and found a wire end had broken off. Put a new end on and it's been running fine since. That shouldn't be your problem if the motor is running, but these things aren't all that complicated. I'd bet you can fix it.