Sent my M&P 9mm back to Smith & Wesson today for some work...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Thanks for the education. Darn it. I still love the M&P, it shoots great, feels great but pulls a little harder. I guess I'm spoiled.

We need to make a pact... the day either of us finds a striker fired gun that has a trigger as good as even a bad 1911, we will run, not walk, to the nearest computer and let the other know about it. :sadwave:

We need to make a pact... the day either of us finds a striker fired gun that has a trigger as good as even a bad 1911, we will run, not walk, to the nearest computer and let the other know about it. :sadwave:

Deal!

Received notice via USPS today that the S&W Performance Center had evaluated the work requested, done a performance and safety check on the M&P 9mm, and estimated the work to cost $129.00 including shipping back to me via UPS 2nd Day Air. This is actually a hair cheaper than I anticipated.

Needless to say I have commissioned them to do the work and paid the required fee. I hope to have it back soon! :sadwave:

Wow all that for $129.00? Who do I talk to?

• Administrator

Call Smith & Wesson customer service at 800-331-0852. Press option #7 from the menu. Tell them that you want to send your M&P in for a Performance Center Sear and some other custom work.

They will give you the address and tell you to include a letter detailing exactly what you want done to the firearm. In that letter, explain that you want:

• Performance Center Sear
  • Massachusetts trigger return spring
  • Massachusetts trigger bar
  • Polish of typical action components

Send the firearm back to them by UPS or FedEx Overnight. You will likely need to go to a UPS or FedEx depot to do this as most convenience locations flatly refuse to ship firearms.

S&W will call or send a letter to you upon inspection of the firearm, and provide a cost estimate for the work to be performed. They reportedly may try to dissuade you from this particular combination of items. This did not happen to me but it has apparently happened to a few other people that I've heard about. Stick to your guns, so to speak.

About 3 weeks later you should get your firearm back. I called them once a week to get status updates since they aren't exactly on the ball as far as staying in good comm with you. I wouldn't have even known it had been shipped back to me had I not called them this week.

That would have sucked since the item comes back requiring adult signature before the delivery person can release it. Since I called, I knew to stay home yesterday afternoon when FedEx typically runs our route.

Actually I had seen the $129 estimate price you posted but too many times I have seen the "estimate" not be the actual final price. I should have had more respect for S&Ws estimating ability than I do for auto mechanics and A/C repairmen. Appreciate the clarification.

• Administrator
Huh, I really love the trigger on my M&P 9. I did have to send it in for occasional "light fires". Works like a champ now. Their Customer Service is tops.

It is seriously hit or miss with M&P trigger quality out of the box. Their range of acceptable factory tolerances in the trigger deal completely with breaking weight, not reset or travel. It's pretty sad, really.

My M&P 40 has the best M&P trigger that I have ever felt. Period. I was tempted to send it in for the same work done to the M&P 9, but have since decided against it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

By way of an update...

This past weekend I finally had the opportunity to shoot the M&P 9mm since having the Performance Center sear and MA compliant return spring installed. I have dry-fired it plenty of times since receiving it back from Smith & Wesson, but none of that prepared me for how good the firearm was going to perform. My M&P 40 may have the best trigger I've felt on an M&P out of the box, but this 9mm complete with the custom work that I ordered is just phenomenal.

Trigger reset is short. Ridiculously short. So short in fact that it almost seems that you merely think about it resetting and it does. I like it. I like it a lot!

Pull weight is marginally increased over stock but the Performance Center sear is so smooth that it feels like a 1911 trigger breaking. Seriously. It's that good.

Shooting for accuracy on the 20yd pistol pit wasn't much of a challenge but it did show me that I really enjoy the Ameriglo tritium front sight coupled with their no-dot rear sight. In fact, I believe I like this setup better than I like the 10-8 Performance rear sight or the Warren Tactical rear sight. It's hard to explain how it is different or more efficient for me, but it works and it works really, really well.

After switching off to the rifle lanes, I decided to go for the gold and sail some lead toward the 50yd targets. JHatmaker had been kind enough to let me shoot some that he had already hung out there, so I lined up with them, controlled my breathing and started sending them downrange. The first few puffs of dirt from behind the target backboard told me that I was in the general ball park, so I kept going, alternating a few times to try for an 8-inch Shoot n' See tacked above the 12-inch target.

After I ran the mag dry, I borrowed some binocs from JHatmaker (hell of a guy) and took a look toward the berm to see how I had done. I had several bullseye hits on the larger target and several in the smaller target that were close enough to the center for Government work.

Why does any of that matter? Previously I only felt that sort of confidence in my 1911s. I never really had that much faith in any of the plastic fantastics occupying our gun safe. But the M&P 9mm's reworked trigger inspired me to give it a shot (no pun intended) so I did and I was extremely pleased and rewarded by the results.

My Glock 19 retains a soft spot in my heart for being the AK47 of the handgun world, but my M&P 9mm has taken it's place as 9mm of choice for every day carry. :(

By way of an update...

This past weekend I finally had the opportunity to shoot the M&P 9mm since having the Performance Center sear and MA compliant return spring installed. I have dry-fired it plenty of times since receiving it back from Smith & Wesson, but none of that prepared me for how good the firearm was going to perform. My M&P 40 may have the best trigger I've felt on an M&P out of the box, but this 9mm complete with the custom work that I ordered is just phenomenal.

Trigger reset is short. Ridiculously short. So short in fact that it almost seems that you merely think about it resetting and it does. I like it. I like it a lot!

Pull weight is marginally increased over stock but the Performance Center sear is so smooth that it feels like a 1911 trigger breaking. Seriously. It's that good.

I concur. After firing this pistol, I am looking in to getting this done to my own.

Trigger reset, as David said is phenomenal. Not even a thought about doing it. It's a very natural feeling.

I approve of this upgrade! :up::up:

• 9 months later...
Guest Nik

Did you measure the trigger pull with a guage? What is the new weight using the heavier MA setup and performance sear?

Stock on my M&P9c is an average around 6.3 lbs.

By way of an update...

Shooting for accuracy on the 20yd pistol pit wasn't much of a challenge but it did show me that I really enjoy the Ameriglo tritium front sight coupled with their no-dot rear sight. In fact, I believe I like this setup better than I like the 10-8 Performance rear sight or the Warren Tactical rear sight. It's hard to explain how it is different or more efficient for me, but it works and it works really, really well.

After switching off to the rifle lanes, I decided to go for the gold and sail some lead toward the 50yd targets. JHatmaker had been kind enough to let me shoot some that he had already hung out there, so I lined up with them, controlled my breathing and started sending them downrange. The first few puffs of dirt from behind the target backboard told me that I was in the general ball park, so I kept going, alternating a few times to try for an 8-inch Shoot n' See tacked above the 12-inch target.

After I ran the mag dry, I borrowed some binocs from JHatmaker (hell of a guy) and took a look toward the berm to see how I had done. I had several bullseye hits on the larger target and several in the smaller target that were close enough to the center for Government work.

Why does any of that matter? Previously I only felt that sort of confidence in my 1911s. I never really had that much faith in any of the plastic fantastics occupying our gun safe. But the M&P 9mm's reworked trigger inspired me to give it a shot (no pun intended) so I did and I was extremely pleased and rewarded by the results.

My Glock 19 retains a soft spot in my heart for being the AK47 of the handgun world, but my M&P 9mm has taken it's place as 9mm of choice for every day carry. :lol:

• Administrator

I have not measured it.

FWIW, the new Apex Hardened Sear is suppose to be the bee's knees and preferred over the setup that I have by the folks who have gone both routes. I figure I'll pick up the Apex kit for my compact sooner or later.

quote TGO David

My Glock 19 retains a soft spot in my heart for being the AK47 of the handgun world, but my M&P 9mm has taken it's place as 9mm of choice for every day carry. :rolleyes:

Wow. I have gone in the opposite direction. I have the Apex set up in my M&P 9mm and it is great (I also had the Apex hard sear and fpb in my old M&P .45 that now belongs to a lucky fellow TGOer), but nothing can make me leave that g19 in the safe when I leave home.

Give the Apex parts a try in your compact or .40 and you will see why they are so hyped up. Those parts make for a smooth firing pistol all for around $70.

in installed the apex sear on my 40c and it has totally changed the gun IMHO. i didn't dislike the feel of the trigger before, but the new sear made all the difference in accuracy and definitely increased the feel of the reset.