Scope for Remington 597 22lr

babelt

I need a scope for my 597 in 22lr. I have looked at alot of scopes on the internet but I just havent been able to make a decision.

What would you guys recommend, this is mostly a target gun

This is my tactical squirrel slayer;)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 3-9 X 32 RedHead from Bass Pro on mine (around $50). It would shoot dime size groups at 50 yards. Of course you could go with a Leupold that would shoot dime size groups at 100 yards. You are as good as your glass.

The 597 is the most accurate .22 rifle out of the box I have ever seen. (in the price range) I had problems with it feeding until I got it broke in; but after that it was boring. It would just shoot through the same hole all the time. :ugh:

It’s no slouch; I would put a decent scope on it if you truly want to have a target rifle.

I just installed a fixed 4X Leupold Rimfire Scope on my Marlin 39A and it is a super scope. It is far better than me but I still was getting 1 inch at 50 the first time out. Cabela's seemed to have the best deal, Leupold must be price protected as most were priced about the same.

I've got some Bushnell rimfire scope bought from Goose Mountain for less that $50 on my 10/22. It does what it is supposed to do.

It's the gun/ammo combo that will get 100 yrd groups, with a little shooter involvement.

Yeah i saw the leupolds for 215ish, thats a little to rich for my blood.

Then check out the scopes at Bass Pro. I don’t know who made the RedHead scope I had but it worked well. In my opinion 4X might be fine for 25 or 50 yards, but at 100 it won’t cut it. I also have a Leupold 3-9 VX I and a 6-20 VX III. I can assure you that the price is directly proportional to the size of the group. :ugh:

I recommend you go to Bass Pro because you can actually feel and look through all the difference scopes. They have from the lowest to the highest priced scopes made. We can talk all day about the difference in scopes; but you need to see it.

I'm confused. You said it was a squirrel gun and then said you wanted it accurate out to 100 yards. I have never had a 100 yard shot at a "tree" squirrel. are you meaning "ground" squirrels?

The reason I brought this up is that I have both target and hunting "field" .22 LRs. The scopes I use for target work ( Mostly Leupolds) are too heavy and complicated for hunting. All of my field guns have either Nikon ProStaff 4X32 RF or Bushnell 4X Rimfire scopes on them. You are not going to be fiddling with drums and bullet drop graphs if you are hunting anything in the woods. You are barely going to have time to get the rifle to your shoulder and get off a shot. This is the area for a decent rugged 4X32 RF scope sighted in for PBR. You are also going to need fairly heavy reticles to pick up in dim light. Through now 5 decades of woods hunting, I have learned to go simple and rugged with my gear. My deer rifle, a 30-06, has 3-10X Leupold scope but is sighted in for PBR at 4X. I never move anything in the woods. The middle of the line Nikons, Weavers and Bushnells are ideally suited for a hunting rimfire, in the woods at least.

Below is My Tree Rat battery for hunting with grandsons:

Grandpa's gun: Bought NIB Marlin 60 with a Nikon ProStaff 4X32RF scope.

Grandsons' gun: Much older Marlin 60W (Youth stock) perspective fools you, stock is shorter on bottom rifle! Rifle has Bushnell 4X RF scope.

Both sighted for PBR.

BC19EA8852B44BA7A11C0490594525C5.jpg

Edited by wjh2657

Well I finally decided on a scope. I went with the BSA Sweet 22 3x9-40

I really like it so far, the scope has alot of great features and its a very clear scope at long ranges.

I havent got to sight it in yet, hopefully I will make it to the range this weekend and give some feed back. Im gonna use the cci mini mags.

GEDC1159.jpg

GEDC1158.jpg

GEDC1157.jpg

GEDC1156.jpg

GEDC1155.jpg