Official Thread for TN House / Senate Override of HB0962 Gubernatorial Veto

Guest HexHead

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
stick that up your ass Bredesen. 7-14-09.

Actually I think Bredesen knew all about this and that's why he vetoed it when he did. One last parting "flipping of the bird" at us.

Guest GLOCKGUY

This 40 day wait gives restaurants time to post that don't want people carrying handguns there. So we should start seeing soon who to start boycotting.

Guest db99wj
Is there anywhere that I can get the text or other format of Sen. Jackson's speech? I could not get the feed to open here at the office. From all the response it seems like one to get!

Thanks,

Builder Bob

They are archived, might not be until later today after the session or a day or so longer.

If you were not able to here Sen Jacksons closing speech, go to the archive, it is worth listening too.

Guest kdpate
This 40 day wait gives restaurants time to post that don't want people carrying handguns there. So we should start seeing soon who to start boycotting.

x2. :cool:

I'm alllll for an open carry lunch 7/14....

Guest pws_smokeyjones
A bunch of us open carrying in our favorite restaurants isn't a good idea. That's a damn good way to get it posted IMHO.

I could not agree more. There is not good reason to make that kind of show of force statement. Having the law passed is enough for me.

Guest GLOCKGUY

Senate overrides guns veto 21-9

Published by Chas Sisk

on June 4, 2009

10:44 a.m. The Senate jumped right into the override vote (well, after spending 45 minutes remembering newscaster Dan Miller, honoring a Millersville police officer and recognizing the death of the great-grandchild of Sen. Charlotte Burks), placing it at the top of the calendar.

Sen. Andy Berke is making the first argument against it. “Too often in this body we hear from the people that feel passionately about something. … He (the governor) stood up for the middle.”

10:54 a.m. No other lawmakers stood to speak on the bill, so Sen. Doug Jackson is now making his closing argument. “I think each one of you know where you are on this issue. … While I respect the judgment of our governor … everyone can be wrong.”

10:56 a.m. Jackson notes that large majorities have supported the bill in both chambers. “This bill is not what it’s been portrayed as in the news media. … This bill has been portrayed as something sinister, that’s a threat to public safety. This bill does not do that.”

As many as 100,000 Tennesseans may take out gun permits this year, Jackson says.

10:58 a.m. “No one is being told what to do on this issue, but I think today, in a few minutes, the people will see a large vote in favor of this bill.”

10:59 a.m. Jackson recognizes Nikki Goeser, handgun owner whose husband was killed in a Nashville parking lot. Blames news media for not covering her case. “Ms. Goeser has worked hard to let people know that law has harmed her family.”

11:02 a.m. Jackson says law enforcement supports legislation, disputing Gov. Phil Bredesen’s claim during his veto message. Blames news media for not speaking to law enforcement about bill. Reads letters from sheriffs in support of legislation.

11:11 a.m. Jackson says many states have passed similar bills with no rise in crime. “No state has ever repealed their (guns-in-restaurants) law.”

11:13 a.m. Gun owners not drinking while carrying their weapons, Jackson says.

11:14 a.m. “One thing that really bothers me is when I hear lawmakers say, ‘I don’t think they really need guns.’” Lawmakers who don’t believe gun owners have the right to carry weapons don’t really believe in the Second Amendment, Jackson says.

11:16 a.m. This isn’t just about carrying guns in restaurants. It’s about carrying guns in parking lots, on way to restaurant, etc., Jackson says. “A lot of Tennesseans don’t feel the opportunity to feel so safe. When they leave their house, they may have to walk by drug pushers … prostitution … gangs.”

11:17 a.m. “Some are going to vote against this bill. What are your reasons? Surely you’re not going to vote on this based on platitudes … that aren’t based on facts.”

11:20 a.m. People of Tennessee don’t realize they’ve been dining in restaurants (that don’t serve alcohol) with people carrying handguns for 12 years.

11:22 a.m. Jackson finishes argument. Moves to vote. Passes 21-9.

11:22 a.m. Effective date of law is 40 days from today, Jackson says, on July 14 (Bastille Day).

Guest HexHead
So how do you feel now Hexhead?

July 14!!! Delay, delay, delay. :cool:

Actually, Jackson made one of the most eloquent speeches I've ever heard. I know how important he is in the Senate, but I wish he'd run for Governor, just so he could represent me.

Hell, he's one Democrat I'd vote for to replace that douchebag Alexander.

Guest HexHead
I could not agree more. There is not good reason to make that kind of show of force statement. Having the law passed is enough for me.

+1. Unless an open carry guy owns the restaurant, nothing GOOD can come from it.

Guest ScottD
+1. Unless an open carry guy owns the restaurant, nothing GOOD can come from it.

Just like nothing good can come from GUNS IN BARS! ? Come 7/14 this bill will be long out of peoples heads and no one will care or notice that you are open carrying. Quit being worry worts people.

Guest ScottD
It's too bad Walmart doesn't serve beer!

Hell I wish they would. It would be about the only way I could make it through a trip there.

Guest HexHead
Just like nothing good can come from GUNS IN BARS! ? Come 7/14 this bill will be long out of peoples heads and no one will care or notice that you are open carrying. Quit being worry worts people.

You can be sure the Tennessean will stir things up that day. Believe me, the media will be out.