Official Thread for TN House / Senate Override of HB0962 Gubernatorial Veto

Guest HexHead

Guest db99wj
I sent an email to my Sen. Bunch asking him to vote to override the veto. I never got a reply. Is there anyway to find out if he was counted in the roll call? I wonder if he had a legitimate reason for not being there or if he just ducked the vote.

Might help me form an educated decision come next election time...

Call their office and ask why they didn't vote. Could be a good reason, should be a good reason. Might not talk to the Senator, but at least a staffer. Do it!:rolleyes:

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oldfella

Tennessee General Assembly votes overwhelmingly to override Governor’s veto of restaurant carry bill

Lawmakers were notified late last week that the Governor was planning to veto House Bill 962, which would allow legal carry permit holders to carry firearms into restaurants, provided they did not drink alcohol. The bill had originally passed by over two-thirds in both chambers of the legislature.

The Governor stated in his veto message that “guns and alcohol do not mix.†The House sponsor fired back, responding that the bill prohibited carry permit holders from drinking alcohol and carrying a firearm, much as it was illegal to drink and drive. The sponsor said the legal carry permit holders of this state had proven themselves to be responsible individuals, and the bill was simply an attempt to expand their Second Amendment rights.

Thirty-six states have some form of restaurant carry, including seven of the eight states that border Tennessee. The General Assembly exhaustively debated the subject, with a supermajority determining that legal carry permit holders were responsible individuals who should be able to protect themselves. With both chambers having overridden the Governor’s veto, the bill will now become law on July 14, 2009.

Guest 3pugguy

This is good news - I sent a note of thanks to Rep Curtis Johnson last night and will do the same for Senator Tim Barnes.

7/14/09! Just around the corner.

Guest oldfella
the owner of sunset grill is on channel 5 right now posting no guns at that place. one more place to boycott.

bill

These ill-informed restaurant owners will soon change their minds, when their businesses begin to decline... it always happens.

Guest Jcochran88
the owner of sunset grill is on channel 5 right now posting no guns at that place. one more place to boycott.

bill

although its not a legal sign, I want be spending any of my money there.

Wish all mis-informed people could end up like this...

Had a good friend of mine, that unfortunately I haven't talked to in a while, call me earlier.

He was all fired up about the override of the veto. Started repeating some of the mis-information that has been in the media, etc....

He thought you could carry in a bar and drink.

Once I told him no drinking and that it is really restaurants (although there could be some places that some may not think of a restaurant that you can carry) and that you still can't carry in the Honky Tonk that doesn't serve and food etc.... He didn't have any problem and said that it all makes sense.

No telling how many of these out there spouting of about how bad this is, really just don't know the facts.....

Wish all mis-informed people could end up like this...

Had a good friend of mine, that unfortunately I haven't talked to in a while, call me earlier.

He was all fired up about the override of the veto. Started repeating some of the mis-information that has been in the media, etc....

He thought you could carry in a bar and drink.

Once I told him no drinking and that it is really restaurants (although there could be some places that some may not think of a restaurant that you can carry) and that you still can't carry in the Honky Tonk that doesn't serve and food etc.... He didn't have any problem and said that it all makes sense.

No telling how many of these out there spouting of about how bad this is, really just don't know the facts.....

You don't know how many members of the Metro Council I've spoken with today that had similar miss information they were basing their arguments on. Although I'm concerned Davidson County (and shortly there after all the big city counties will follow suit) will be a lost cause for HCP restaurant carry for at least a year if not longer.

Let freedom ring!

I sent this to both Senator McNally and Rep. Matlock, who represent the free state of greater East Tennessee!

Thank you sir for your sticking to your guns [no pun intended] on this issue

by voting to override the veto by our Gov. who has been the friend of the

Second Amendment until now. We are going to take our country back.

XXXTnEngineerXXX

I sent an email to my Sen. Bunch asking him to vote to override the veto. I never got a reply. Is there anyway to find out if he was counted in the roll call? I wonder if he had a legitimate reason for not being there or if he just ducked the vote.

Might help me form an educated decision come next election time...

IIRC, Sen. Bunch was not counted as present at roll call

Apparently he is not aware of the state's preemption law.....lol

What a tool....:)

You don't know how many members of the Metro Council I've spoken with today that had similar miss information they were basing their arguments on. Although I'm concerned Davidson County (and shortly there after all the big city counties will follow suit) will be a lost cause for HCP restaurant carry for at least a year if not longer.

Actually, from what I have seen, they may have something. The state regulates liquor and wine, but the counties regulate beer. Metro Nashville is threatening to revoke the beer license of those restaurants who do not properly post. How this would all shake out with state preemption I do not know. Best bet is for all of us to call our local government representatives if they try this sort of stuff.

Actually, from what I have seen, they may have something. The state regulates liquor and wine, but the counties regulate beer. Metro Nashville is threatening to revoke the beer license of those restaurants who do not properly post. How this would all shake out with state preemption I do not know. Best bet is for all of us to call our local government representatives if they try this sort of stuff.

Agreed, 39-17-1314 seems to prevent this type of ordiance but fighting that lawsuit may take years... First step is to place a lot of pressure on the Nashville Metro Council, if you live, work, shop, or otherwise visit Nashville on a regular basis, contact the At-Large Council members as well as the District members for the areas you live/visit.

Failing that, the next best option is to get the TN Legislature to revoke this "loop hole" in state law but that will likely be next year from my understanding at the earliest.

Another possible solution would be to get the TN AG to publish a opinion letter, but who knows if that would be in our favor or not.

Putting a lot of pressure on the council is the best bet right now.

Hasn't an AG opinion already been asked for?

If so, with any luck, that may put an end to it right there.

If not maybe the Metro Council will wise up...ok, ok...but maybe.

Lastly, even though it could mean a problem for a while, if Metro is able to do this, I am fairly confident the legislature would take care it when they come back.

Guest Doc44

You know it might be a good idea for some of the Metro folks to write letters to the "editor" of the Tennessean containing the LAW word for word and follow it with what the law does NOT allow. If they publish it, it will be the only way to get the truth out to the public... the press there is not going to do it. Personally I don't read that rag... I only read non-fiction.

I hate to see small, special interest groups manipulate "the people" and the law, especially in the real name of MONEY,

The Sesame Street generation believes everything they see on television,

Doc44

Hasn't an AG opinion already been asked for?

If so, with any luck, that may put an end to it right there.

If not maybe the Metro Council will wise up...ok, ok...but maybe.

Lastly, even though it could mean a problem for a while, if Metro is able to do this, I am fairly confident the legislature would take care it when they come back.

I wouldn't be so confident... This is the same legislature that couldn't pass a clean parks bill... Are you positive they will pass a bill to remove control from local beer boards?

This won't stop with Nashville, if they get away with it, Memphis and other large cities will soon follow suit, and who knows what other local ordinances they'll start passing and enforcing about guns.

I haven't found an AG letter on point for this... Fall if you're aware of any that touch on this please provide a link... I'm calling a bunch of council critters back tomorrow and would love more ammo.

Edited by JayC

Thanked Sen. Black & Rep. Maggart, both of whom voted to override.

Senator Black / Rep. Maggart,

Thank you for your support of HB 0962 /SB 1127! It is a relief knowing that there is one less set of places I don't have to worry about disarming for. It is amazing it has taken 12 years, especially with such a lopsided victory.

You have my gratitude.

xxxx

Guest 270win

Conceal your handgun and don't worry about their silly illegal ordinance. If that means getting a pocket pistol instead of that five inch 1911 covered by a T shirt, then do it. I like my gun rights, but I sure don't want to spend the money fending off a fine, if I can avoid it by carrying something small.

I received a reply to my "Thank you" email at 8:57 PM from Sen. Diane Black. Pretty simple, to the point. My email basically said "Thanks for your support of the bill and over riding the veto, I'll remember that the next time I can vote for you." Her response was an equally simple "You're welcome."

Conceal your handgun and don't worry about their silly illegal ordinance. If that means getting a pocket pistol instead of that five inch 1911 covered by a T shirt, then do it. I like my gun rights, but I sure don't want to spend the money fending off a fine, if I can avoid it by carrying something small.

Some of us want to legally carry not become criminals to protect ourselves.... We should encourage Metro to violate 39-17-1314 just because we can get away with breaking the law like a common criminal. The whole point of getting this law passed was to allow us to legally carry in all restraurants in the state, not continue to go unarmed or be forced to break the law to protect ourselves.

Edited by JayC
Some of us want to legally carry not become criminals to protect ourselves.......The whole point of getting this law passed was to allow us to legally carry in all restraurants in the state, not continue to go unarmed or be forced to break the law to protect ourselves.

Hear! Hear!

- OS

Guest foister82

now i am not currently a HCP and i do not currently carry at any point due to that fact, but i would much rather go into a restaurant knowing there are legal armed citizens there with me that might protect me in the case of a BG than to go into a restaurant when the BG is gonna come in with his weapon regardless.

Today was a great day in TN

now i am not currently a HCP and i do not currently carry at any point due to that fact, but i would much rather go into a restaurant knowing there are legal armed citizens there with me that might protect me in the case of a BG than to go into a restaurant when the BG is gonna come in with his weapon regardless.

Today was a great day in TN

Agreed. Welcome to TGO!

I sent an email to Sen. Jackson last night about the Metro Council and got this reply

David

I can not yet give a definitive answer but I plan to discuss this with the attorney general in the morning. If there is a loop hole, I believe the General Assembly will quickly pass a bill to close it before we adjourn.

Doug