Best all around Snubby

Guest Fwdftw

SP101 if you want to shoot .357mags. I don't like shooting very light revolvers with .357's, so the SP101 gets my vote. For me it is too heavy for pocket carry though. I use a Taurus CHULT in .38 for pocket carry.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are going to find that .357 is not an ideal snubby cartridge. I have a 686 2 1/2" and a Model 19 2 1/2" as well as a 60 and a 640. Although I can handle the round better in the K and L frames, it still is snappy and very, very noisy! And I am not all that sure I am getting all that much more in oomph out of the short barrel. I really feel that .38 Spl is the snubbie caliber. If I really needed the power 0f the .357 I'd go for a 4" barreled gun, probably the 686 (19s are getting real hard to find) or a Ruger GP 100.

Guest eyescream
+1

OP said "best all around".

SP101 if you want to shoot and well conceal IWB/OWB. You can hammer nails with it all day, .357 isn't painful, .38 +p is comfy, and .38 target loads are like .22s. Yet still quite small physical size.

- OS

+1 to all that. I love mine.

sp101_trausch.jpg

Guest 3pugguy
Looks like an SP101 to me. Here is mine...they are at first glance very similar to the GP100. I suppose the 6 shots on the speed strip is what is making it look like a GP and not an SP

sp1012.jpg

That's a good looking gun. And since I like Ruger, I might have to think of a backup to my backup and get one (hey, any reason to buy another gun...now where did my wife put my debit card?)

Guest gcrookston
I think you are going to find that .357 is not an ideal snubby cartridge. I have a 686 2 1/2" and a Model 19 2 1/2" as well as a 60 and a 640. Although I can handle the round better in the K and L frames, it still is snappy and very, very noisy! And I am not all that sure I am getting all that much more in oomph out of the short barrel. I really feel that .38 Spl is the snubbie caliber. If I really needed the power 0f the .357 I'd go for a 4" barreled gun, probably the 686 (19s are getting real hard to find) or a Ruger GP 100.

I have a 340pd that has had exactly 10 rounds fired through it to sight-in the Crimson Trace laser grips... This is my primary carry gun. For practice I have model 42 (all steel). I figure in an event where I actually have to use the 340, I won't be concerned or perhaps even notice, the recoil of this lightweight handgun.

Guest 70below
I figure in an event where I actually have to use the 340, I won't be concerned or perhaps even notice, the recoil of this lightweight handgun.

+1........I've noticed when you're in a heated shoot (competition anyhow) or hunting, you never remember the recoil. I would imagine when defending your life you'll simply not have focus on that part of the equation.

Hows the trigger on an SP101? I'm thinking I may have to move to a revolver for my girlfriend but not sure how she'll handle a heavy, long, or jerky trigger. (No jokes :cheers:)

I have a 340pd that has had exactly 10 rounds fired through it to sight-in the Crimson Trace laser grips... This is my primary carry gun. For practice I have model 42 (all steel). I figure in an event where I actually have to use the 340, I won't be concerned or perhaps even notice, the recoil of this lightweight handgun.

Everybody has their own opinion (free country, I think.) I personaly don't subscribe to the theory that after firing hundreds (maybe thousands) of rounds on range that the habits picked up there are just going to disappear because adrenalin is pumping. if that were so, then it wouldn't make much sense to waste range time and ammo money. Adrenalin is going to make me do everything right! I feel that if I am slow to recover on range because of recoil, my firing drill is going to remain same when I draw and fire for real. My motor reactions aren't going to go away just because I am excited. If they do, I am wasting time practicing.

I have experienced this when switching from firing .38s in 642 to .22 LRs in 317 during same range session. My time on 317 is the same as with 642 (I am anticipating need for recoil recovery.) If you are not practicing enough to pick up motor reaction sets, you very likely are not practicing enough!

Guest Law of Thirds

My personal choice would probably be a Model 66 or 19 with a 2 1/2" or 3" front end. The really short snubbies don't seem to have the length to really get much out of the .357 case, which makes me prefer either a) a longer barrel, :( more shots or c) bigger rounds.

One of those L frame .44 specials by smith & wesson with a docked 1" ported barrel would be pretty nifty.

Guest grimel

Find a pre-lock +P rated 638. Put a barami hip grip and Tyler T adapter on the gun with a Hogue Jr sleeve. I use old style wood grips and the adapter - the hip grip doesn't work for a primary with me being left handed.

You now have the ultimate all around snubby. If YOU can shoot the gun is capable of 50yd body shots and 25yd head shots.

I have a 342PD for a specific situation. I have the above mentioned setup in the blued M38 for days when I'm using J frames as a primary.

Unlike most folks, I've taken tactical classes using just J frames, 1000 rds in 2 days. They are capable of more than most think.

IMG00080.jpg

IMG%5D

Edited by grimel

I have 3 S&W snubs:

642 with Crimson Trace 405 grips. It was my first and I found that at about 16 ounces it was too heavy for pocket carry, others will disagree.

I liked the J Frame Centennial concept and two years ago bought a M&P 340 with Crimson Trace 405s. It is no doubt my most pocket carried snub and although it is rated for .357 it is charged with Speer Gold Dot for Short Barrel (23921). I like the Tritium XS sites and the light weight.

3rdly a S&W M-60 just had to have a stainless, hammered, pre-lock to round out the family.

I like the Mika Roundcut holster for pocket carry but started with a DeSantis Nemesis. I use it for my Kahr PM9 now.

OWB, a Speed Classic from Blackhawk works well and is readily available and priced nicely.

IMO for the price the SP101 is unbeatable for a .357. Again for the price I would chose the 642/638 from SW for a .38 +p.

I dunno. The SP101 is a mighty fine .38 too. :D

Just too heavy for pocket for most folks (including me).

- OS

Here are the specs on the PD

SKU: 163061 Model: 340PD

Caliber: .357MAG/.38+P

Capacity: 5 Rounds

Barrel Length: 1 7/8"

Front Sight: Red Ramp Front

Rear Sight: Fixed

Grip: Rubber Grips

Frame: Small - Centennial Style

Finish: Blue / Black

Overall Length: 6 3/8"

Material: Scandium Alloy/Titanium/Stainless Steel

Weight Empty: 12 oz.

M&P 340

SKU: 163072

1. Model: M&P340
    Caliber: .357MAG/.38+P
    Capacity: 5 Rounds
    Barrel Length: 1.87"
    Front Sight: XS Sights® 24/7 Tritium Night
    Rear Sight: Integral U-Notch
    Grip: Synthetic
    Overall Length: 6.31"
    Weight Empty: 13.3 oz.
    Material: Scandium Alloy Frame/Stainless Steel Cylinder
    Finish: Matte Black
    Frame Size: Small - Centennial Style
    Action: Double Action Only

1.3 ounces heavier in the M&P, but the cylinder is stainless.

Main difference XS Tritium night site in the M&P vs Blade or light pipe for sights in the PD. PD is a couple hundred $$ more.

S7W came out with the X42 then 340/350PD then M&P 340/360 to really get it right. the PD is almost too light and enhances felt recoil.

Put a Crimson Trace grip on a 340 and you have (IMO) the ultimate carry snub. .357/38spl Plus P/38 spl. No Restrictions.

Extreme versatility.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=53911&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=

Best all around snubby, you asked. Wait a little longer and save up a couple hundred extra.

Here is the ultimate Part II of the X42 Thread on The High Road.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=314422

Here is a thread I started a couple of years ago on the 340 with the input of many users.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=282173

M&P 340 and 642-2 both with Crimson Trace 405 grips.

P1270034.jpg

If weight is not a concern I would consider a Colt Detective Special or Colt Cobra. Both can be had in the $500 range 6 rounds vs 5 and a piece of Americana History. No +P in those though.

I picked this M-60 pre-lock standard pressure only up at a gunshop that was the end of an estate sale. $275!! With set of Starrett Grips in addition to the stock grips.

P5270020.jpg

P5270009.jpg

A hammer bob job and some appropriate grips would make this a good pocket carry albeit too heavy for my likes, but great IWB or OWB.

Edited by DAdams
I dunno. The SP101 is a mighty fine .38 too. :drama:

Just too heavy for pocket for most folks (including me).

- OS

Yes it is, I love mine. Great little pistol. If the ammo wasn't so hard to get I would shoot it more. Now all I have to do is get another GP100 to replace the one I traded (I knew I would regret it).

Yes it is, I love mine. Great little pistol. If the ammo wasn't so hard to get I would shoot it more. Now all I have to do is get another GP100 to replace the one I traded (I knew I would regret it).

Yeah, I wanted one more wheelie myself, always thought I'd maybe get a GP, but have decided on Blackhawk .357/9mm, if I ever find one. Ruger revolvers of any kind are really aces.

Btw, I've actually been finding WWB .38 again at some Wallys ... I picked up some .357 cowboy loads at last gun show from Georgia Arms, as .357 still hard to find, and none of it is cheap.

- OS

Btw, I've actually been finding WWB .38 again at some Wallys ... I picked up some .357 cowboy loads at last gun show from Georgia Arms, as .357 still hard to find, and none of it is cheap.

It is refreshing to begin to see some roundage reappear. Cabelas at Turkey Creek was awash in .223. Even had some obscure stuff they didn't carry prior to the "shortage". Black Hills, Hornady VMax.

They had no .380. All those Ruger LCP out there just sopped up all the .380. I suspect the smaller shops may have some...ammo to go didn't have any.

Ammo to go has some .38 spl plus P and +P+. I got two boxes of 50 each of this. Not as inexpensive as WWB or Greenbox, but it is good stuff.

fedhydrashokonbox.jpg

federal38G2.jpg

Now if I could just find small rifle primers.

Edited by DAdams

I love my 642, it is comfortable firing .38spec and it is so lite that you wont ever need a holster..I had SP101 hamerless and it was a great gun that felt good in the hand but little too heavy to carry, and you need a holster for it...I think to me S&W 642 is a perfect CCW...

Db