Beale Street to Ban All Guns

Beale Street to ban all guns - WMC-TV: News, Weather, Traffic, Radar, and Sports for Memphis, TN; WMCTV.com |

By Anna Marie Hartman

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Big changes are coming to Beale Street, as the entertainment district rebels against the state of Tennessee's new 'guns in bars' bill.

The Beale Street Entertainment District fought legislation allowing guns in bars, and now that the battle has been lost, they are making their own law.

Officials said Wednesday that starting July 17th, no guns will be allowed on Beale Street.

All clubs and businesses will post signs notifying patrons of the ban, and, and police officers and private security guards will use hand held metal detectors to search patrons before they are permitted inside the barricades blocking the entrances onto Beale Street.

Gotta love Memphis. I'm glad the security guards and metal detectors will make people safer!

What a load of :)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 270win

I don't see how Memphis thinks it can LEGALLY keep people from carrying on public streets and sidewalks. Someone with deep pockets should pursue legal action against those who pull stunts like this. The funny thing is you can often enter the pedestrian only part of Beale Street from side areas that are not barricaded at night.

The signs are probably not legal and the whole thing is probably not legal. I'd highly doubt that every one will go through a metal detector. Memphis doesn't have the brightest light bulbs at the barricades. If you can conceal well, you can get through with no problem.

I don't either. I don't understand why so many people are freaking out about this law. 36 other states allow it, and they haven't fallen apart because of mass shoot-outs in their resaurants.

Is it just me or are TN cities the only ones making such a big fuss about this? I don't remember reading similar stories from surrounding states with legislation that allows permit holders to carry into restaurants where alcohol is served, including AL and GA.

I don't either. I don't understand why so many people are freaking out about this law.

It's the flavor of the week. The media is raising cane about it, doing their best to incite people and twist the facts to promote their agenda. Give it a year, heck, maybe not that long, and I doubt the general population will even halfway remember it.

Yes sir I live right on the edge of the city of Memphis,I think they should make it against the law to not carry in the city,I have been on Beale St only during the day and normally on Sunday morning to walk along the river,but a couple of times we were asked for change by the homeless guys so we dont visit downtown any longer,safer that way carrying or not,let the politicians have it they deserve it.:)

First I don't think they can legally post a city street.

As far as each business...are they going to force every business to post? What if some don't want to?

But.....I haven't lost a thing in Memphis...let alone on Beale Street.

Guest KevinM
Maybe they're going to turn Beale St into a park.

BWahahahaa....am I the only one that found that comment absolutely hilarious??

They can't ban guns on a public street, peroid.

I wish I was younger when I had bigger cojones, I would have a friend follow me with a video camera, conceal a large peice of inert metel under my shirt and walk down Beal St. and refuse to be searched. Anything that happens between me and some private security guard would be plastered all over youtube and lawsuits would follow. No one has the right to wand you for no reason on a public street.

First I don't think they can legally post a city street.

As far as each business...are they going to force every business to post? What if some don't want to?

But.....I haven't lost a thing in Memphis...let alone on Beale Street.

If the New Madrid fault let loose again and destroyed Memphis, it would cause billions of dollars worth of improvments to the state. Lake Memphis State Park.

Guest stovepipe

I never go to Memphis any more. Every time I go I have problems with drunks, dope heads, car and hotel room break in's. - Everything about that city sucks.

I never go to Memphis any more. Every time I go I have problems with drunks, dope heads, car and hotel room break in's. - Everything about that city sucks.

Sounds like a place where a decent citizen really needs ao carry a handgun.

The only time I will ever go through Memphis is when I'm leaving the state.

Guest stovepipe
Sounds like a place where a decent citizen really needs ao carry a handgun.

The only time I will ever go through Memphis is when I'm leaving the state.

Memphis needs to be avoided.

Only if they put this much effort into keeping the homeless/bums off Beale Street.

I've visited that area only a few times, but everytime I have encountered more than a few vagrants begging for cigarettes, money, and even had one ask if he could have a sip of my alcoholic beverage.

I don't know the area, but I'm curious how they're requiring all businesses to post? Also, I'm curious if the area is still considered a public road with government funding for it's up keep...

Going to be really hard to enforce this without violating state law, and/or lawsuits from somebody.

Guest truthsayer

I wrote a long diatribe about the failure of Performa Entertainment Real Estate. I don't care any more.

I work on Beale occasionally and am a lifelong Memphian. I live in a city that seeks nothing more than my tax dollars and my sympathy for the vermin that pollute its government. They tout my work and the work of my peers as the one of the greatest reasons to visit, and they constantly make it difficult for me to do my job safely and well. Beale St will lose a 12 year veteran of its clubs over this, and I can't WAIT to find people that are willing to hear it.

Guest Phantom6

See my post at the following URL for what I believe to be an interesting and effective way to turn the tide on park and restruant posting: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/301608-post15.html

Beale may be a little bit different because of the out of town draw but places that draw more from the local population may very well be pursueded by the use of this tactic. It sure does seem like its going to work on the politicians over in our neck of the woods. Be creative.