Beale Street to Ban All Guns

Guest justme
I see these metal detectors on a public street just ASKING for a lawsuit. How does the city of Memphis think it can legally do this? You cannot frisk everyone walking down a public street...a group of people needs to walk down there with say under four inch knives...have them confiscated and then sue....or better cheap handguns but of course carrying on a permit. If Memphis PD is a part of this they will be steam rolled in a lawsuit. I wonder why Memphis PD has never worked this hard trying to catch REAL criminals carrying weapons in the hood? Many of their officers are a disgrace to the badge! No wonder it is one of the most violent cities in America.

I'd like to see about 30 people all go down and then be subjected to wanding and search---and then all sue.....

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bet in 6 or so months this will end once the hype blows over, and the cost of paying for the extra security and police starts to add up.

I mhave to figure the police are off-duty and being paid on the side by the businesses. If paid by the city that would seem to be an inaoppropriate use of resources and the same people that want the screening on Beale St. will start complaining about the lack coverage elsewhere.

First visit to Memphis was in 1958. It was a beautiful city then. I'm shocked about what Memphis has become. I guess the best policy may be to refrain from going to Beal Street, and spending cash in the businesses. After a loss of revenue, they may rethink those posted signs.

Why is common sense so uncommon these days? Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson

This is a great course of action. There is nothin in the cesspool around Beale Street in Memphis that cant be found somewhere else. Let the cesspool stink. Memphis is exactly the same place that New Orleans was before Katrina. Same inner city trash; same demigogue polititians and crooks -- same results. My advice would be not to go into Memphis without a gun; and not to go to Beale Street at all.

Im sure there are still some good folks in Memphis and some good places to go. I would find out where they are and patronize their businesses. Let the trash congregate on Beale Street.

LEROY

Guest crotalus01

If you guys will promise me a defense fund, I will be the test case for this. I will go to Beale (where I never go by the way) open carrying - I just need someone to post bail if they actually arrest me.

I am sure I could find a pro bono attorney to handle my civil rights violation lawsuit.

Just FYI I will carry my Hi Point, I can just buy a new one while I wait for it to be returned if they are stupid enough to confiscate it.

If you guys will promise me a defense fund, I will be the test case for this. I will go to Beale (where I never go by the way) open carrying - I just need someone to post bail if they actually arrest me.

I am sure I could find a pro bono attorney to handle my civil rights violation lawsuit.

Just FYI I will carry my Hi Point, I can just buy a new one while I wait for it to be returned if they are stupid enough to confiscate it.

By God don't tempt us lol

Guest justme

now that is not a half bad idea....

Guest justme
You wont be arrested...they just wont let you on Beale.

thus denying you access to a public street....seems to be lawsuit material to me--unless of course the business owners actually own the street itself...which is doubtful. They cannot post a public street off limits to firearms.

Guest justme
I am serious. Someone needs to be the Heller in this situation - not that it would ever go to the SCOTUS.

actually you don't know that--the business owners might lose so much in a civil rights lawsuit that they just have to keep appealing it hoping to get a friendly judge to side their way...

Guest crotalus01
You wont be arrested...they just wont let you on Beale.

If they deny me entry to a public street (I want to have video of this if there is a volunteer cameraman here in the Mefrica area) I have that much more solid WIN case in a civil rights lawsuit.

I sure could use the meney....

Yeah, but I bet they aren't going to be wanding everyone. If they had been doing that all along, the ACLU would have been screaming over the "profiling". Now that they have targets that won't give them a fight (i.e. law abiding HCP holders) - that's who they will profile...read between the lines...;)

Also, I wonder how they will wand all the rednecks on Biker-night Wednesdays? How the H_ll are they going to control this? It's impossible!

Guest canynracer
If they deny me entry to a public street (I want to have video of this if there is a volunteer cameraman here in the Mefrica area) I have that much more solid WIN case in a civil rights lawsuit.

I sure could use the meney....

Thats my point...you wont nee the bail money and defense fund...get video of the denial and youre paid. B)

Guest canynracer
thus denying you access to a public street....seems to be lawsuit material to me--unless of course the business owners actually own the street itself...which is doubtful. They cannot post a public street off limits to firearms.

Dude, no kidding...thats the point of the discussion...nobody is arguing the lawsuit. B)

What's funny is that these idiots are trying to portray Memphis as a safe haven from guns on the street by keeping law abiding citizens who passed strict background checks from carrying on Beal St., and at the same time Memphis is 2nd, almost tied with Detroit as the most dangerous city in America.

In Pictures: America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com

I have an idea since Nashville is ranked #9, all the decent citizens from Memphis move to Middle and East TN., and all the scumbags from Middle and East TN. move to Memphis and let them succeed and create their own state and make up their own laws.

I have an idea since Nashville is ranked #9, all the decent citizens from Memphis move to Middle and East TN., and all the scumbags from Middle and East TN. move to Memphis and let them succeed and create their own state and make up their own laws.

Hellz no! :dirty:

Guest truthsayer

I was on my way to the parking garage after a gig at Alfred's (that I booked months ago) and saw 3 patrol cars surrounding a Caprice Classic. There were four out-and-out hoods cuffed on the sidewalk while one of the officers bagged the 6 handguns sitting on the trunk of the stopped car. I bet they just wanted to get their "intent to go armed" on before the city says it's a no-no.