How gun friendly is TN????

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

I'm out in CO right now about to move to yall's great state and wonder what opinion you all have of your state on gun rights. The people out here say that I may not like your state as far as the gun laws go. What do you think. And is TN more blue than red? I haven't looked into the TN's political red/blue percentage but I'm not hearing good things out here in CO. And to be fair CO went blue last year.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee is the patron state of shootin' stuff. B)

There really is no way to accurately describe the people, government and politics of this state. Not much help I know, but most people in TN tolerate "the hobby". If they're from here.

Edited by Garufa

Tennessee is a wonderful place to live and for the most part is PRO 2nd. We just passed guns in resturants, long guns in cars. Our handgun carry permit is not a CCW, you can open carry if you like. The biggest thing is if you become exposed (your gun) you can't be charged. I can't think of any other place I'd like to live.

Gun laws and attitudes are better than most states, but we still have some progress to make. Guns in restaurants bill just passed for instance, but there is still some locla political resistance, that hopefully can't gain any legal traction.

Being a transplanted yankee though, to me it's damn great.

There are some political issues with the metro areas (Memphis & Nashille) regarding the slew of of permit holder related laws passed and proposed in the legislature the past few months. All relaxing some rules! B) Some passed, some didn't.

Culturally, TN is VERY gun friendly (or tolerant). Regardless of what you may see, hear or read. When you remove politicians and damnyankees (no offense intended to some of you transplants) from the mix, we'd all be Dan'l Boone or Davy Crockett!

GT,

I moved here from the west (guess where) 2 years ago. I have found it to be pretty gun friendly, but it has taken some getting used to. It is definitely a different mindset than the west, but I think that as stated above there are some good people here who understand that guns are not evil.

The main difference for me was how I transported guns, in ID if they weren't concealed you were gtg, so I just piled all of the guns and ammo on the seat when I went to the range.

Also the permit here is for handguns, where I was used to a permit for weapons.

In ID I worked in a bar and I know people with permits who carried in there. They were not drinking so there was no violation of the law (and there was no blood running in the streets.)

I think you will find the gun laws here ok. You have already found the best place in the state to learn and meet people. If you are a newcomer to the area, TGO rocks!

Guest coldblackwind

I know my friend was stationed in CO before he went to Iraq, and he was complaining that the gun laws were far to strict. I believe (won't swear too it) but I think ours are actually much more lenient than CO's

Tennessee is a wonderful place to live and for the most part is PRO 2nd. We just passed guns in resturants, long guns in cars. Our handgun carry permit is not a CCW, you can open carry if you like. The biggest thing is if you become exposed (your gun) you can't be charged. I can't think of any other place I'd like to live.

Long gun bill passed?

Guest HexHead

Well, if you only read the newspaper articles, their comments and listened to the news stations reports, you wouldn't think TN was gun friendly at all.

TN is definitely not the best in the union, but it is definitely not bad.

We have relatively few off-limits places...

Bars

Judicial Proceedings

Schools

Local parks can be posted against carry, a violation is a criminal offense.

A property owner can post against carry and a violation is a criminal offense.

Other than the last two, not so bad really.

Open carry does require a permit, but is legal with one.

The self-defense laws are pretty good.

Are there any specific laws or situations you have questions about?

Guest GunTroll

Probably not the right thread for my concern but,......I have a CCW here in CO. What do I have to do to get a TN permit? More training or is it a direct transfer with the appropriate fees of course? I didn't even have to take a training course in CO. My DD214 from the Army covered it here. Will military training cover me there in TN?

And as far as your guy's state goes I figured it to be friendly for the most part. It is the south. Member Idaho said he use to be able to hop in the truck with the guns and ammo and go off to the range. But not in TN. What does this mean? Something like firearms must be separate from ammo in a locked case or something????

Probably not the right thread for my concern but,......I have a CCW here in CO. What do I have to do to get a TN permit? More training or is it a direct transfer with the appropriate fees of course? I didn't even have to take a training course in CO. My DD214 from the Army covered it here. Will military training cover me there in TN?

And as far as your guy's state goes I figured it to be friendly for the most part. It is the south. Member Idaho said he use to be able to hop in the truck with the guns and ammo and go off to the range. But not in TN. What does this mean? Something like firearms must be separate from ammo in a locked case or something????

If you have a CO CCW you only have to be 21, fill out the application, show proof and citizenship or lawful permanent residency and pay the $50 renewal fee. See here.

However....if you did not have a CO CCW already, Yes, military training can be used instead of taking a safety class.

In TN a gun is considered loaded if the ammo and firearm are close to each other, even if the ammo is not in the gun. However a new law was just passed that says if you have a HCP you can transport a loaded long gun in your privately owned vehicle as long as their is not around in the chamber.

Guest GunTroll

My wife took a job teaching in what ever county Clarksville is in so somewhere near there but not say in downtown. We are currently looking at property somewhat between Clarksville and Nashville. Closer to Clarksville. Does Nashville have weird/stupid gun laws? As do most urban cities I guess.

My wife took a job teaching in what ever county Clarksville is in so somewhere near there but not say in downtown. We are currently looking at property somewhat between Clarksville and Nashville. Closer to Clarksville. Does Nashville have weird/stupid gun laws? As do most urban cities I guess.

Possibly Robertson county?

Nashville's gun laws are relatively in line with state law, as I believe they can't legally enact any laws that would be more restrictive. There's a good chance that Metro Nashville will ban HCP holders from carrying in parks, as that is allowed by the new state law that was just passed.

TN has preemption and no cities have an exemption like Denver does in CO.

Local governments can post their property like any other property owner, this includes local parks as well.

Guest blackbeltchick
Fairly gun friendly and most laws are not crazy. A lot of folks don't realize there are guns all around them here.

I would like to Welocme you to Tennessee and TGO :D[/

Like he said, you just don't realize who's packing. :(

QUOTE]

Guest canynracer
If you have a CO CCW you only have to be 21, fill out the application, show proof and citizenship or lawful permanent residency and pay the $50 renewal fee. See here.

However....if you did not have a CO CCW already, Yes, military training can be used instead of taking a safety class.

In TN a gun is considered loaded if the ammo and firearm are close to each other, even if the ammo is not in the gun. However a new law was just passed that says if you have a HCP you can transport a loaded long gun in your privately owned vehicle as long as their is not around in the chamber.

Actually, from what I was told...it only exempts you from the shooting portion...you still need the law and the rest of the class.

Actually, from what I was told...it only exempts you from the shooting portion...you still need the law and the rest of the class.

I think you were misinformed.

39-17-1351(e)

The department shall also require an applicant to submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course. The course shall include both classroom hours and firing range hours. An applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range and classroom hours requirements of this subsection (e) if the applicant submits proof to the department that within five (5) years from the date the application for a handgun carry permit is filed the applicant has:

(1)
Been certified by the peace officer standards and training commission;

(2)
Successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy;

(3)
Successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guard/officer registration, pursuant to §
(
:D
; or

(4)
Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.