New Colt WWI 1911

Guest hickok

Guest hickok

I started my celebration for the 100 - year anniversary of the 1911 a bit early!! Can't think of a better way.

Anybody else adopted one of these special gems? I've been eyeballing one for a while now, and one followed me home yesterday. Sweet, sweet gun. I hate to call it a reproduction, as the connotations of that word don't seem to fit a gun that Colt just hasn't made for awhile.

I have real battle-worn military models of the 1911 and the 1911-A1, and they are really special, but so is this baby. For one thing, it's a work of art. Fit, finish, and trigger are better than any of the many Colt 1911's I've owned. I can't believe the trigger on this thing. An original in this condition you'd just have to handle with white gloves and store safely away somewhere. Even though these ain't cheap, it's cool to have one in new condition and enjoy shooting it.

It feels great and shoots right on. Obviously, anything I bring home gets shot within about 10 minutes.

Another cool thing about this gun is the fact that it's pretty much the exact same gun they made back in the day. I'm proud of Smith & Wesson for bringing back some of THEIR classic models; however, you know that there are some obvious things missing (pin, chamber recesses, hammer-mounted firing pin (I think), etc) and a strange hole added above the cylinder release when you pick up a new Model 29.

Maybe it's because this design is now amost 100 years old, so the legal & liability issues are not the same for this gun. Colt doesn't even put the firing pin block on this baby.

Out of the box, the original 1911 design fits my hand better than any non-custom gun. Some of the reasons are, the flat mainspring housing, the long trigger, and the lack of a stock beaver tail protruding downward into my hand. Yep, the original design had virtually no beaver tail, which could lead to a bit of slide bite, but it enables a much more comfortable feel, in my opinion. If you've never held an original 1911, pick one up some time.

Doesn't equal a high-ride Ed Brown beaver tail, of course, but I don't think Ed was around to assist Father John Browning during the early days of 1911 development.

Anyway, sweet gun and what a piece of history! WWIRight.jpgWWI-Left.jpgRollMark.jpg

Edited by hickok
add pic links
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started my celebration for the 100 - year anniversary of the 1911 a bit early!! Can't think of a better way.

Anybody else adopted one of these special gems? I've been eyeballing one for a while now, and one followed me home yesterday. Sweet, sweet gun. I hate to call it a reproduction, as the connotations of that word don't seem to fit a gun that Colt just hasn't made for awhile.

I have real battle-worn military models of the 1911 and the 1911-A1, and they are really special, but so is this baby. For one thing, it's a work of art. Fit, finish, and trigger are better than any of the many Colt 1911's I've owned. I can't believe the trigger on this thing. An original in this condition you'd just have to handle with white gloves and store safely away somewhere. Even though these ain't cheap, it's cool to have one in new condition and enjoy shooting it.

It feels great and shoots right on. Obviously, anything I bring home gets shot within about 10 minutes.

Another cool thing about this gun is the fact that it's pretty much the exact same gun they made back in the day. I'm proud of Smith & Wesson for bringing back some of THEIR classic models; however, you know that there are some obvious things missing (pin, chamber recesses, hammer-mounted firing pin (I think), etc) and a strange hole added above the cylinder release when you pick up a new Model 29.

Maybe it's because this design is now amost 100 years old, so the legal & liability issues are not the same for this gun. Colt doesn't even put the firing pin block on this baby.

Out of the box, the original 1911 design fits my hand better than any non-custom gun. Some of the reasons are, the flat mainspring housing, the long trigger, and the lack of a stock beaver tail protruding downward into my hand. Yep, the original design had virtually no beaver tail, which could lead to a bit of slide bite, but it enables a much more comfortable feel, in my opinion. If you've never held an original 1911, pick one up some time.

Doesn't equal a high-ride Ed Brown beaver tail, of course, but I don't think Ed was around to assist Father John Browning during the early days of 1911 development.

Anyway, sweet gun and what a piece of history!

Congratulations!! Been wanting one of these myself; been doing a pretty good job of resisting --- up to now anyway. They are, indeed, a great thing. Always remember when you pick it up and shoot it; the 1911 was the only ACCEPTABLE REPLACEMENT for the greatest gun that ever was; the Colt Single Action Army. If it was good enough for the calvay, it ought to be good enough for us -- HEHEHE.

It is truly a great thing. Enjoy!!!!

Kind regards (and sorely tempted)

LEROY

Pictures MAN! We need PICTURES!!! I doubt ill be able to afford one for a good while, i'll be inherating a "us property marked" 1911 date marked 1927 after a while, thats about as close as ill ever get to owning one of these colts or "gems" as it was so put. Lets see this bad boy!

Guest hickok

Just a little bit of soreness after a few magazines. If I were going to shoot it a great deal, I think I'd just stick a piece of light tape, band-aide or something on the web of my hand, just to totally eliminate the possibility. I'm not afraid of a little hammer-bite, but I don't want it to reduce the fun factor of shooting the gun.

Acutally, I mis-spoke/mis-wrote; the slide doesn't come within a mile of the hand. It's the hammer bite that might get you a little.

Of course, I'll probably put a Commander hammer on it to eliminate that possibility. I'm looking at putting an EoTech sight on it, too. Maybe a compensator for IPSC competition! I better shut up before I make myself throw up. :-)

I'll probably try to do one of my brainless Youtube videos with it before it gets too old!

Guest jcramin

Well I LOVE all my 1911's Have a S&W and a Kimber and this one.

S/N says its from 1913

Colt1911as.jpg

Colt1911s.jpg

Edited by jcramin
Guest AmericanWorkMule

Hickok,

Do you take in orphan kids? Everytime I see your videos I'm ready to tie up a bundle of ammo around the barrel of my rifle and wander over to your home on the range.

trains_hobos_008_med.jpg

Guest hickok

Yep, checked when I saw the thread here on "Colt Recall." Mine's under recall for the thumb safety. I emailed Colt this morning and told them to send me a new thumb safety; shipping a gun back to the factory to replace a simply part I can replace seems a bit of a stretch.

I told them I'm not sending it anywhere for a couple of months; I'll be too busy shooting it. Send the the part, and if not, I'll get around to it in August or September maybe. '

You never rely on a manual safety anyway; you assume it might not hold. Finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot. I'm not too worried about it, but I'll eventually get it replaced if they don't send me one.