Can we just have a thread to talk?

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent two years in WI, I found grits in one place.

The mess hall. I had to ask for them, got a stupid look and had to explain it to them. Then when they got them, had to show the cooks how to properly prepare them.

I successfully converted yankee mindsets to the love and admiration of grits. They still serve them everyday at breakfast.

And btw, people in WI and MN love Sundrop and therefore stock it. So I was moderately okay with being there...

One gallon of sweet tea has a shelf life of about one day at my house. Sad thing is, sometimes I am the only one drinking it.

One time, out of habit, I ordered sweet tea at a restaurant in Ohio. The girl just looked at me real funny and said, "well, the sugar is right there..." (as she pointed to the packets on the table). :)

Guest GunTroll

I ordered tea in LA (thats lower Alabama) after a lenghty stay out west, and asked if it was sweet. Thought I was gonna get tossed out!

Guest m&pc9

Has anyone tried the cold brew ice tea. We picked some up at sams a while ago. It is purty good. We just have to double the bags per gallon. It says 2 bags per 2 quarts and soak for 3 minutes in tap water.. We use 4 bags and soak it for about an hour. It taste purty good.

Has anyone tried the cold brew ice tea. We picked some up at sams a while ago. It is purty good. We just have to double the bags per gallon. It says 2 bags per 2 quarts and soak for 3 minutes in tap water.. We use 4 bags and soak it for about an hour. It taste purty good.

Yep. Sometime I toss one of those bags in a bottle of water with some Splenda. Not as good as the real thing, but it's alright on the go. I still prefer hot brewed.

findin grits at a restraunt up north is about as hard as getting a glass of sweet tea. dont even think about getting any sundrop up there either

Funny story, last year I had to go to New York State for two weeks for work. It was 70* when we left Nashville. When we touched down in NY, there were 8' tall piles of snow where they were plowing the runway, and the parking lot at the airport had at least 1" of solid ice on it.

For the first two or three days, we tried a few of the local restaurants. You would be amazed at what I was offered when I asked for sweet tea. Raspberry fruit this or that, Nestea, Lipton tea (the canned stuff), or the ever popular "I'm sorry hun, you want what? Your accent is so cute, where are you guys from?"

After about the second or third day, I couldn't take it anymore. There was a Cracker Barrel next door to the hotel we were in. About twice a day, for about 11 days, I ate at the Cracker Barrel. I haven't been able to eat at one since we got back. :)

Guest GunTroll

How is the corn bread down there? Grits,pancakes,sweet tea,waffles,eggs.......so I figured corn bread had to be next. Food is really a hot "nothing" topic in TN I see.

I like sweet corn bread, that white dry stuff is nasty.

Tea does not have to be "sweet Tea" There is a little invention you all may need to know about. It is called a tea spoon, a few spoon fulls of sugar in your tea gives you sweetened tea. Tastes the same to me as the holy "sweet tea" does. Anyway I prefer my tea unsweetened with a few lemon wedges. Not a big sugar fan.

Carbonated soft drinks in Cincinnati were called "pop" In Chicagoland they were called soda. I worked with a guy from south west Illinois, he called soda "sodey"

In Florida it was called soda. I call it soda.

Pancakes are good, waffles are fair. I like bacon better than sausage in general, but if forced to eat sausage it better be links. Sausage patties suck. And being from Cincinnati I will only eat bacon, sausage, or any other form of breakfast meat under protest. I was raised on a breakfast meat called "goetta". If you aren't from there I seriously doubt you have the first clue as to what it is. But I will tell you, it is a close to perfection as any breakfast food can get. When people visit from home they have to bring it, if any of us goes to Cincy it must be brought back in sufficient quantities to make it until the next trip. it is great with eggs over easy, heavenly with pancakes and syrup on them, delicious on the fork mixed with egg yolk, home fries salt and pepper. You have not lived until you have had it for breakfast. But the downside is none of you are worthy. The perfect breakfast for me is three eggs over easy, well done home fries, goetta, rye bread toast with butter and blackberry preserves.

chili should be watery and served over thin spaghetti, covered then by kidney beans and onions, smothered in fine shredded cheddar cheese. (if you have ever had Skyline, you know what I am talking about)

Oh yeah, one last thing you all need to know about here. Brats. Brats should not resemble huge ass sausage links, they should not be called beer brats. The Brat should be basically near white in color and be contained in a casing. You fork the brat, lightly boil it in beer and a healthy dollop or roses lime. The brat after boiling it a bit is then put on a grill and browned, it is then sent swimming in a pan holding the still hot beer mixture which now contains onions. Eat them at you leisure on a bun with spicy mustard and onions. Best washed down with an ice cold lager beer.

There ya have it.

Edited by Mike.357