Concealed or Open Carry

Which mode of carry do you prefer?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Which mode of carry do you prefer?

• Concealed Carry
    • Open Carry
    • Both depending on the situation

Guest Kingfish

You know, before I got my permit I just knew I was going to carry concealed all the time. Now that I have a little time under my belt...Get it....HA HA.

Anyway, today after work I am going to Bass Pro and pick up a cheap OWB holster. I will figure out what is the best OC choice for me later.

I have a great custom leather IWB and will still conceal in some situations...Movie theater, fancy restaurant (when they pass restaurant carry), crowds, etc.

But stopping for gas, running in the grocery store, or Wal-Mart, out and about...I am going to open carry.

I am really tired of our rights being trampled and I am going to stand up for this one.

If no one ever sees good guys with guns, and all they see is bad guys with guns, good guys won't have guns -- Kingfish

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EasilyObsessed

But stopping for gas, running in the grocery store, or Wal-Mart, out and about...I am going to open carry.

Be careful on that one. Every Wal-Mart I have been to has posted no firearms signs posted on the doors.

Being a pastor, I conceal carry all the time. Some people just don't understand some life principles and it would be hard to explain that concept without them understanding the overriding principle of personal responsibility and its contrast of evil in the world.

Being a pastor, I conceal carry all the time. Some people just don't understand some life principles and it would be hard to explain that concept without them understanding the overriding principle of personal responsibility and its contrast of evil in the world.

You could always explain to them about reward and punishment.:D

I always recommend concealed. It just avoids lots of problems and at my age avoiding hassle becomes important.

And I have never seen a Wal Mart with a no carry sign. At least the one in Nashville on Charlotte doesnt have one.

Guest Kingfish
Be careful on that one. Every Wal-Mart I have been to has posted no firearms signs posted on the doors.

Since deciding to get my permit 6 months ago, I check the door of every building I enter. I have been in Wal-Marts in Murfreesboro, 2 in Nashville, Shelbyville, 2 in Huntsville. None of which have been posted.

I am not saying that your's is not posted, but none of the ones I frequent are.

You also might want to check out some of the Wal-Mart threads. Wal-Mart apparently has a corporate policy to allow carry where carry is allowed. You might want to get more info and get the signs removed.

Guest Hyaloid
Unless Im shooting a match or on the shooting range I carry concealed 99% of the time.

Open carry? I would guess that you would get ALOT of attention that way. Wanted and unwanted.

I open carry about 75% of the time, and have yet had anyone, including LEOs say a word to me. You'd really be surprised how LITLLE attention you really get if you OC.

Now, I OC on weekdays primarily, and the way I dress (slacks, dress shoes, and button down long-sleeve shirt) screams good guy. It is much more comfortable and convenient for me to OC when I am dressed "professionally".

On weekends, I will generally CC, jeans and an untucked shirt. I do OC too, but as we are never REALLY sure until the last minute where we are going on the weekends, it is just easier to conceal.

Wal-Mart's position is a bit more complicated than that. Generally, they allow concealed carry. That means no signs, although I have know of signs being posted that came down after a complaint to their corporate headquarters. That happened years ago at their new Bristol, Virginia store.

I IWB in Wal-Mart all the time. Not concealed but not in-your-face either. Plus, I look like LE or military that should have a handgun. Often I'm in a military T-shirt and/or LE or government cap. I have been know to open carry my USP40 without a problem, but again, I look like someone who should have a gun. Proper demeanor will get you a long way.

If, as a member of the public, you open carry in Wally-World, you will probably be asked - per corporate policy - to conceal the gun or take it out to the car. If you don't comply, you will likely have the cops called and be charged with trespassing. Yes, they have every right to do that.

So, in summary, be cool and sensible. You have no right to open carry on private property if the owner doesn't want you to do so. You do have a right to carry unless the property is posted or the owner, or his representative, tells you to go away.

Since deciding to get my permit 6 months ago, I check the door of every building I enter. I have been in Wal-Marts in Murfreesboro, 2 in Nashville, Shelbyville, 2 in Huntsville. None of which have been posted.

I am not saying that your's is not posted, but none of the ones I frequent are.

You also might want to check out some of the Wal-Mart threads. Wal-Mart apparently has a corporate policy to allow carry where carry is allowed. You might want to get more info and get the signs removed.

I have OC'ed in every Wal-Mart in Manchester, Tullahoma, Winchester, Shelbyville, Murfreesboro, Bolivar, Mcminneville, Cookville, Johnson City and a few in Nashville, Knoxville & Chattanooga. Never a comment or outraged look, much less seen any 'no firearms' signs or been asked to conceal/leave. On the contrary, I have had nothing but pleasant encounters with the staff of those establishments.

Wal-mart corp. policy is to abide by the laws of the given state in which they are located; if I was ever asked to leave, I would do so (it's their prerogative and right), but be certain that I will follow-up with their management or corporate administration. Every incident which I have ever heard of like this has been the result of a rogue/misinformed employees, and was resolved in favor of the patrons' right to carry, when followed up on properly. See opencarry.org for more info.

Kingfish, I applaud your desire to be a visible example of a citizen's right to carry... Keep your best foot forward, no matter what response you encounter. You have my support and encouragement.

:D

Found the email from Wal-Mart. This is from a TFA page:

To: [deleted]

Date: Monday, September 14, 1998 3:03 PM

Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-mart was founded by Sam Walton on three principles: Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.

The following is our policy: if a Wal-mart customer has been aearded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property.

With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than low enforcement personnell wearing or carring a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.

We appreciate your concern and trust that this has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.

Guest Hyaloid

Marswolf,

That letter is dated 1998. Not saying it isn't so, I don't shop at Wal-Mart and thus have never encountered any "resistance" to carrying, but it appears that corporate has backed up the customer's "right" to OC in their stores if it is legal in the state in which the store is located.

Wal-Mart seems to be everyone's favorite destination at opencarry.org, and I am pulling the above sentiment from the experiences posted by others on that site.

The bottom line is, follow the law, if they ask you to conceal or to put the weapon back in the car, do so or leave. Contact corporate and you (if those on opencarry.org are to be believed) can often get the manager or offending employee to be "retrained" by Wal-Mart.

Or, you can just CC and not worry about it. Or not shop at Wal-Mart.

On a side note, I am FAR from a perfect speller or grammatical nazi, but should a letter from a proported "official" at a monster company like Wal-Mart have that many spelling and errors?

To: [deleted]

Date: Monday, September 14, 1998 3:03 PM

Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-mart was founded by Sam Walton on three principles: Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.

The following is our policy: if a Wal-mart customer has been aearded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property.

With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than low enforcement personnell wearing or carring a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.

We appreciate your concern and trust that this has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.

This is an old policy, one which has been rescinded. Wal-Mart currently has zero policy regarding the carry of firearms in their stores, provided that all local, state, and federal laws are complied with. Of course, the local WM managers reserve the right to eject anyone from their stores, for whatever reason... but open-carry is not targeted by their corporate policy at all.

Here's a good listen: http://www.reachtheworld.net/media/Walmart_Firearm_Policy_Call.MP3

Any questions, call Joe McQueen at Wal-Mart Headquarters in Bentonville AK. (757) 471-1651.

This issue has been alleviated, thanks mostly to our brothers & sisters in Virginia.

Glad to hear the policy has been changed. I know of someone here who was asked to leave Wal-Mart because of an open gun a couple of years ago. He's now a LEO.

Most email responders at companies just parrot the company policy. I wasn't surprised to see errors in the letter.

Guest macho999

I always carry concealed. Whenever I go to town it's for a specific reason and any answering of questions or other hassle just get in the way of the mission at hand.

From reading some of the experiences people here have had open carrying I am surprised at the amount of patience you all have. I deal with people all day for work and when I'm on my free time dealing with some dork store manager about a gun sounds about like the last thing I want to do.

So kudos to you all with the patience to pull it off. I know I'm not one so I don't pretend to be. Everybody has to find what works for them. There is no one size fits all to it.

I conceal carry most of the time. My concealed is pulling my shirt down over my OWB Bianchi 82 carrylock with my XD 40SC in it. If I am working it has been known to "show" but not intentally. The reaction most of the time is "what kind and what caliber" nothing more.

I conceal virtually all of the time. In part because I wear a jacket even in hot weather so I can. This year I am trying out a guayabera, which offers some concealment, because my tolerance for heat is going down (something to do with 2 near heat stroke experiences in the last 2 years).

I conceal mainly because I dont want to have to deal with some dumb SOB standing in front of me taunting "whaddaya gone do? Shoot me?" The temptation would be overwhelming.

Guest Kingfish

Well, I am about to find out.

About to walk out the door for my inaugrual trip to WalMart.

Taurus 24/7 Pro SS 16 rounds of Hornaday TAP 9mm, Uncle Mike's Anbi Hip holster worn OWB at 3:30 strong side no cover garment.

Brushed steel Zippo worn OWB 3:00 weak side in a custom leather belt holster.

My checklist:

Spectacles-Check

Testicles-Check

Wallet-Check

Keys-Check

Cell Phone-Check

Smokes-Check

and

Pistol-Check

Tell them your being a good shepherd and protecting your flock :D

Guest Hyaloid
Well, I am about to find out.

About to walk out the door for my inaugrual trip to WalMart.

Taurus 24/7 Pro SS 16 rounds of Hornaday TAP 9mm, Uncle Mike's Anbi Hip holster worn OWB at 3:30 strong side no cover garment.

Brushed steel Zippo worn OWB 3:00 weak side in a custom leather belt holster.

My checklist:

Spectacles-Check

Testicles-Check

Wallet-Check

Keys-Check

Cell Phone-Check

Smokes-Check

and

Pistol-Check

So, did you get banned from Wally World or what? :D

Guest dpeneguy

So far it's been concealed partly because I only have a IWB holster at the moment. I am wearing it in SOB so its hard to sit. I have a OWB holster on the way is should arrive this week sometime. I am not opposed to open carry but it will depend on where I am going and most of the time I would rather people not know I have a gun.