Looking for info on WWII M1 Carbine that was my Grandpa's

Guest nokomom

I'm with Mike, you're not going to de value a war rifle by shooting it -.

There are a lot of Carbine collectors that would not agree with the "shoot it" statement... If it were mine I would not fire it. Get a CMP rack grade for that...or a WWII carbine that is not a bring back Winchester.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of Carbine collectors that would not agree with the "shoot it" statement... If it were mine I would not fire it. Get a CMP rack grade for that...or a WWII carbine that is not a bring back Winchester.

I agree 100%

I found some information on the patches and ribbons.

The yellow ribbon with red, white, and blue stripes is The Asiatic-Pacific Campaign ribbon. The stars indicate that your grandfather was involved in four campaigns.

The red ribbon with three white stripes on each end is an Army Good Conduct ribbon.

The blue and red patch that looks like an H with three X's in it is a US Army 30th Infantry Division patch.

I'm still trying to find the other two patches.

Cliff

how did he get frostbite in a pacific POW camp? Also how do you get a bring back weapon being a POW?

This is a fascinating story. I love this kind of history.

If you can get his SS# you can most likely get his service records.

Lots of time the story relayed by relatives does not jive with what actually happened. Especially if he did not talk much about what he did during the war.

Great stuff you have there.

Found the other two patches.

The khaki patch with blue mountains is the 80th Infantry Division aka the "Blue Ridge" Division.

The blue, red, and white patch with gold lion's head is the 106th Infantry Division.

Cliff

how did he get frostbite in a pacific POW camp? Also how do you get a bring back weapon being a POW?

This is a fascinating story. I love this kind of history.

If you can get his SS# you can most likely get his service records.

Lots of time the story relayed by relatives does not jive with what actually happened. Especially if he did not talk much about what he did during the war.

Great stuff you have there.

What is quite unusual is that the 30th, 80th, and 106th Infantry Divisions served in Europe and not in the Pacific theater. But the ribbon is clearly an Asiatic-Pacific Campaign ribbon. It's possible that he may have traded for the patches or, more likely, been assigned to those units after being a POW(none of the three divisions mentioned arrived in Europe until 1944). It could also be possible that he served in the Pacific and then in Europe where he was then captured and held as a POW. It would also not be impossible to get hypothermia in a Japanese POW camp, particularly one in northern Japan.

nokomom, Your best bet to learn more about your grandfathers service would be to follow Mike's advice and see if you could obtain his service records. I'd be very curious to know the whole story. If he served in both the Pacific and European theaters that would be very unusual indeed. And if he survived four campaigns in the Pacific and then went to Europe where he was captured and held as a POW that would be a truly amazing story.

Cliff

he survived four campaigns in the Pacific

I will assume he was given credit for four pacific campaigns possibly while a POW

if your in Tn you can call the state and get all his wartime information.

who would you call? I retrieved my late fathers records but had to go through the Feds in St. Louis where records are kept. Also a lot of records were lost forever in a fire years ago. Not doubting you mind you, just curious how TN would have that info.

Guest JavaGuy

Phil, I assume there is someone (or a specific department) in particular that a person would call for this... what's that number? I wouldn't mind getting more info on my father's service career as well.

Thanks in advance.

Here is where you need to start, also your grandfathers child might be the only one who can request this info, if they are passed it may fall to you. You may well be considered a next of kin, I dunno.

Good luck if you choose to follow up on it. I had great success and got my fathers entire record. That thing tells all! Definitely cool

How to Request Military Service Records or Prove Military Service (DD Form 214, DD-214, DD214

Guest nokomom

My aunt tried to get his records but they were lost in some fire long ago at the archives I believe. I'm gonna try again when I get back into town.

I'm heading over to the east side of TN to pick up my daughter from her two week summer camp in the Smoky Mountains. I rented a cabin for a few nights so that we can hang out for a girl's weekend. Leaving the three crazy dogs & husband here in Memphis to fend for themselves!

When I get back I will check up on the thread and see what you guys have found out about the patches. I do remember that he was a POW in Europe. Apparently he was a well traveled man although I think I could skip that kind of vacation from the US.

Who would you call for that? I was under the impression War Records over off of sidco dr only has TN National Guard records.
I will assume he was given credit for four pacific campaigns possibly while a POW

who would you call? I retrieved my late fathers records but had to go through the Feds in St. Louis where records are kept. Also a lot of records were lost forever in a fire years ago. Not doubting you mind you, just curious how TN would have that info.

My dad sent off to get my grandfatehrs records from his WWII paratrooper service (507th PIR). After several months they did tell us that his records were lost in "the fire". They did tell us of another ribbon/medal that he was qualified for but never received. We are working on that now. It would be worth filing the paper work to see what is out there on the OP's grandpa.

How to Request Military Service Records or Prove Military Service (DD Form 214, DD-214, DD214

My dad sent off to get my grandfatehrs records from his WWII paratrooper service (507th PIR). After several months they did tell us that his records were lost in "the fire". They did tell us of another ribbon/medal that he was qualified for but never received. We are working on that now. It would be worth filing the paper work to see what is out there on the OP's grandpa.

I know he can call Army Records which recently or is in the process of moving to Fort Knox. I was asking about here in TN.

Guest gcrookston

It looks pretty good. All partes should have a small "W" on them (such as the receiver block does). The Barrel date should give you a general idea when it was made, if it's dated.

b0d35cdabc89372366c79e624c7e0b6bc6d.jpg

Edited by gcrookston
Guest nokomom

We found ammo for the carbine at Guns and Ammo in Memphis. They had quite a bit if anyone needs some in the Memphis area. I'm planning on taking it out this week to shoot. We ordered two 30 round mags for the carbine just to load up with ammo. I'll keep my eye out for some Winchester mags for it that are more authentic.

unless the thirty round mags are USGI you will probably have issues with them.

I have two of them and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

IMHO you would be better off buying USGI 15 round mags. They are readily available on the internet for around 20 bucks, maybe less.

I am glad you are gonna shoot it