Diner carry question

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest crotalus01

My understanding of the law is that you must leave immediately. That means no arguing with the manager, no stop at the restroom, and no stopping to pay for services rendered, including food that may have already been eaten.

If the management raised a stink about it I would invite them to call the police and inform them I would wait off their property, then explain to the cops that I was following the law and they could explain to said jackass management why I could not stop to pay once they ordered me to leave.

My understanding of the law is that you must leave immediately. That means no arguing with the manager, no stop at the restroom, and no stopping to pay for services rendered, including food that may have already been eaten.

If the management raised a stink about it I would invite them to call the police and inform them I would wait off their property, then explain to the cops that I was following the law and they could explain to said jackass management why I could not stop to pay once they ordered me to leave.

Agree, except for calling the police. I would make the call as I was exiting the premises. I want to be the first to call, first with the story.

oldogy

Guest HexHead
Where the trouble is going to come in is when the manager tells you to take your firearm back to the car instead actually asking you to leave.

"I'm sorry, I don't leave my firearm unattended. Now you can either let me finish my meal in peace or ask me to leave."

Guest Jcochran88
"I'm sorry, I don't leave my firearm unattended. Now you can either let me finish my meal in peace or ask me to leave."

Exactly!! What you want me to leave it in the car so someone can steal it and then come in here and shoot the place up.:lol:

Guest 1shot

If you properly conceal who is going to know you are carrying anyway. Don't worry about getting ask to leave just keep your pistol concealed properly. I have been carrying for over 9 years and have never been made or at least no one has ever mentioned it if I have.

Guest Bluemax

:devil:

Skip out on a bill?

That makes us look good.:screwy:

I would ask for a box,my bill,tip the sever,and leave.

I would even wait outside if needed as I wait for my bill,and food.

+1000

This is just an opinion but I think it's pretty important how we conduct ourselves and the image we project at this stage of the game. Don't get me wrong, the larcenous side of my brain is telling me to go to Ruths Chris ( assuming they posted, I don't know ) order the Kobe filet and lobster and a round of drinks for everybody, but me of course, and then pull my twin 1911's out of their crossdraw rig and ask the server "Do guns make you orney"

Seriously, lets think about the big picture and put our beliefs forward in the most positive light possible;);)

I would ask the manager if he expects me to pay. If he says “Yes†that is exactly what is going to happen. I’m not having the cops called on me for any reason.

But I have to ask…. Has this ever happened to anyone? (Not some story you heard or some internet BS… but to you?)

Guest 270win

I have carried in several states where it is legal to carry in restaurants/bars before Tennessee legalized this and never had a problem. Then again, my handgun has always been concealed. I always enjoy my meal, pay, and add the appropriate tip.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I would pay if they expected me to pay. Depending a little bit on the amount of food that I had eaten. If they set my food down and then immediately tell me to leave then I would assume they understood I was not paying. The situation would call for as much politeness as possible though so no reason to cause an unnecessary scene. I have to agree with those who said "concealed is concealed". Changes are, if I am concealed and just eating my meal etc... nobody is going to all of a sudden notice that I am carrying.

• 2 months later...
Guest Bill Lumberg

If it was posted in any shape form or fashion that would make it clear to a 2nd grader that they didn't want guns there, yes. Shouldn't have been carrying there anyway. If not posted at all but they asked you to leave, no.

• Admin Team

Remember that when you strap on a weapon and walk out the door that you individually represent all of us collectively whether you like it or not. Frankly, I wish we could have it differently, but we can't. The guy I saw in REI the other day in ripped BDU pants, OCing a poorly maintained Desert Eagle and smelling like alcohol from 8 feet away represents us just like I do when I walk out the door concealed.

Strickj has it right. You should be the model of civility whether you think it's deserved or not. Otherwise the HCP holder who left without paying is going to make the news, or at least the Tennessean and the Commercial Appeal.

Guest hi im drummer03

As stated before. Coneal the gun,they wont see it ,so therefore prolly wont even be mentioned. I have been in many places and not worried about this eben happening. Also this goes along with OCing. If you do OC or just have it visible most of the time you are somwhere. You going to have someone talk to you..

If you are instructed to leave or face arrest for criminal trespass, the issue of paying for services becomes a civil matter between the business and you. Especially if the establishment is not properly posted or posted at all.

One law cannot place you in violation of another.

Your intentions were to go in, sit down, order, eat, pay, leave.

The owner/agent of the business changed that when he/she demanded you leave under threat of arrest for criminal trespass.

You didn't go into the establishment with the intent to leave without paying, no intent on your part to commit a crime.

Its at best a civil matter.