THP Safety Initiative

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only way they are going to run your license is if you are going to get a ticket or if you are acting suspicious or paranoid. just show them the license, insurance papers and registration and you are on your way. the last roadblock i went through some years ago, they checked the tag on the car to see if it was valid (visual) asked for my DL, asked how i was doing, they peeked in the car to see that everyone was buckled and i was sent on my way with a smile.

Guest FlyntG

The man that instructed my CCW permit class said there is no law requiring it, but said he strongly recommended any time you're asked for your drivers license to hand over both your DL and your CCW permit.

I have every time, and I believe it got me out of at least one ticket. Officer liked my G21. I like to not attract attention, but I'd not like a nervous officer see my sidearm without knowing I'm legal.

Bought my wife a police scanner a while back. She doesn't listen to it much, because nothing really goes on out here. When an officer calls in a license plate, the dispatcher (or whatever) does inform the cop if the owner of the plate has a valid carry permit.

Edited by FlyntG
more info
Guest bkelm18
That's good to know, but what if your firearm is in plain view?

If it's in plain view, you might as well hand him/her your HCP since they will likely ask for it when they see your piece. :D

Ahh, the notification debate!

To notify, or not to notify: that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of annoyed LEOs,

Or to take arms against a sea of back-ups,

And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;

No more; and by a sleep to say we end...

Guest redbarron06

I know a guy that would just hand the cop his HCP as it has the same number as your DL. Now I am not sure how that would work if you dont have a DL but do have a carry permit.

Guest Muttling

I hand them my DL and tell them my carry permit will come up as well when you run it. I just get an "O'k" or a "Thanks" and nothing else is said about it.

On a comical note, my brother (a part time LEO) has pulled over several folks who asked "Would you like to see my gun?"............"No thank you, I have one of my own."

Guest mustangdave
Ahh, the notification debate!

To notify, or not to notify: that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of annoyed LEOs,

Or to take arms against a sea of back-ups,

And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;

No more; and by a sleep to say we end...

WOW Steve...impressive...you forgot "cry havoc!!!..let lose the dogs of war!..

Guest mustangdave
I know a guy that would just hand the cop his HCP as it has the same number as your DL. Now I am not sure how that would work if you dont have a DL but do have a carry permit.

:D...I'm a little vain...the photo on my HCP is much better than the one on my DL...I'm like 30 lbs lighter

Without going to deep into the endless debate of notify, don't notify.

I will say roadblocks are a bit different than being stopped for a traffic violation.

As others have said, most of the time at a roadblock they look at your tag and your DL and if nothing seems out of the way...you are on your way.

However if your firearm is visible, but not sure how it really would be unless it sitting unsecured in the passenger seat or something, or your left handed and your OCing, then I would handover the HCP also.

When I've said I may not notify I have also said that if they were going to search me or I thought the would otherwise find/see the handgun, I would tell them before letting them find it on their own.

been stopped twice in the 10 years plus i have a permit. both times the weapon was visible. both times state troopers had a fit because of it. one even made me unload it and put it under the seat. i now keep paperwork in both vehicles of the tn law. i will be ready when and if it happens again.

Guest PapaB
Thanks - I know it's a dumb question, but I just want to be sure I'm in compliance. I don't want to be one of those who makes other HCPs look bad, even if it's only through ignorance.

Dumb would be not asking. This group is filled with knowlegable people more than happy to share their wisdom. Consider yourself smart, and now a little wiser to boot.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

I have a solution. Let's not seize people and inspect them simply because they're operating a motor vehicle.

Works for me! :)

The attitude you get would depend on the LEO that stopped you. I get mixed answers at the gym I train at when talking to them.

Should you inform - I have'nt heard of a negative thing because someone informed.

Guest m&pc9
I have a solution. Let's not seize people and inspect them simply because they're operating a motor vehicle.

Works for me! :D

OoooooNoooooo:hiding:

Since some states require that you inform the officer during a stop, it's probably good practice to hand over both during any stop. At least you won't have to keep track of another 30+ laws.

In Michigan, if I recall correctly, failure to inform results in license suspension and a $500 fine.

Edited by enfield
After you stop and see the LEO walking up to your car, you should exit the vehicle very quickly and in a very loud voice announce, I'VE GOT A GUN,,,,I'VE GOT A GUN.

Naaa, better not do that. :D

Don't forget to be reaching for it so you can give it to him.......

Jokes people...just jokes...:(