1911 .45

Guest Risky Ruger

For those who think RIA's are crap, just remember who STI buys their frames from :tough:

I think that Armscor(Rock Island Armory and others) makes a very good gun and very good for the money.

The STI Spartan has a frame and slide from Armscor and STI small parts all assembled in the Phillipines. At around $600, it is an outstanding value for someone who wants a tight and reliable 1911, albeit with adjustable sights. The adjustable sights are a turn-off for some folks who carry every day.

I carry a different brand 1911 on a daily basis that has adjustable sights and I am comfortable with it.

However, STI guns made in this country(ALL but the Spartan) have 100% USA made components whether they be slides, barrels, frames or springs.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mark_justmark

I got a RIA for my first 1911. Then another RIA for my second, then for my third 45ACP, although not a 1911, I got a Vaquero 45 convertible in case I get into a Time warp continuum or something, and need a single action.

Guest lci419
What is your budget?

1. Around $500.

2. Around a Grand.

3. I don’t care as long as someone’s name is on it.

What will it be used for?

1. Primarily a carry gun, secondary as a target gun.

2. Primarily a target gun, secondary as a carry gun.

3. Home protection and target gun.

4. Bragging rights.

Do you have experience with a 1911?

Dave brings up some very valid points. A 1911 is not necessarily a gun to grab and go, so you need to be determined to commit to being a 1911 owner.

As for recommendations, I would strongly suggest a Norinco. In fact, I just bought one myself after exhaustive research. I wanted another 1911 and I was on a budget of $400 or less, wanted one with had all the specs of a WWII type government issue pistol, and was exceptionally reliable.

After doing my homework I discovered that short of a repro Colt (not within my budget limit), the answer clearly lay with Norincos. Yes they are made in China, but all of the Springers, RIAs, Auto Ordnance et al. guns are made in places like Brazil and the Philippines, so the old saw of "foreign made crap" doesn't work here. Most all 1911s anymore are wholly or partially made overseas except for the very top end models. Next, is the issue of MIM parts. Again, most all models use MIM internals...except the Norinco...those are milled. The slides and frames on Norincos are forged from higher quality steel than ANY other 1911s...including Colts. Most 1911 frames and slides are cast these days. The Chinese used a WWII vintage Colt to duplicate and did so painstakingly...all parts interchange with vintage Colts and thus run every bit as reliably.

On top of that, apparently most of the top end custom 1911 builders prefer to use a Norinco frame to build off of. So if you're looking for an economic, reliable, high quality 1911, ask around on the various forums. They'll tell you that the Norinco is a hidden gem.

P.S. As for cost...let's just put it this way, I paid $240 for mine just last week :cool:

Guest Risky Ruger

I plan to use it only for home defense at this point. I carry a 9mm which I love but always wanted a 1911. Norinco sounds good for price. Where did you buy it?

Guest lci419

Got mine on Gunsamerica. You can try a search on Ebang.com. I will admit though the deal I got was a bit of a fluke. I don't think the dude really realized what he had and I talked him down some after he admitted it had been up for sale 3 times. Hint: never admit to a potential buyer that you are frustrated because you can't sell the gun. :) Average around $400, but if you are patient and look around, deals can be had.

Guest SureShot308

My first 1911 experience was a Colt Commander that belonged to a Navy buddy of mine. I loved it but he would never sell it to me. So, I got a Kimber TLE/RLII, Which I also love. I just recently picked up a Citadel 1911 Compact for about 600 tax and all. Citadel is the same as a RAI, just a little more expensive looking. 300 rounds through it and not a hiccup yet. The next one on the list is a Para GI Expert.

I have had good experience with Springfield also.