Hello from Chattanooga!

I've been registered and reading here several months and thought I better get around to saying hello.

I am 44, was born and raised in Chattanooga and have enjoyed shooting since I was a kid.

The woods and trails of my youth have been replaced with shopping malls and fast food! I miss the freedom and convenience they offered for plinking, but am thankful there are at least a few ranges available within driving distance. It's not the same, but better than nothing.

During my 20's and 30's, I only went plinking a few times with a friend or two, mostly losing interest in shooting all together and eventually sold all my firearms.

2009! Escalated violence, gangs, home invasions, robberies, murders and the realization that the police can't protect me or my family better or faster than I can myself, I decided it was time to purchase a firearm for securing life and liberty from the rising tide of evil doers this world seems to be spawning.

Purchasing a pistol for the first time in many years was an exciting experience! After some research, trust in other's opinions and a bit of shopping around, I ended up buying a new Smith&Wesson M&P 40 (fullsize) for it's caliber, capacity and dependability! I didn't learn until later that I could change the caliber to .357 SIG just by changing the barrel or to 9mm Luger by changing the barrel and magazines! What a great pistol! Very happy with it and highly recommend it to anyone considering one.

A pistol isn't of much use if you can't have it with you, so I applied for my handgun permit and anxiously awaited it's issuance. I did a lot of reading here at TGO during that time and would like to thank all of you who have shared your experience and opinions with others here! This is a great community I am glad to be a part of.

With the availability and cost of ammo as it is currently, it was probably a bad time to re-spark my interest in shooting, but I'm all-in now. Having the 3 calibers available on my pistol has helped keep ammo on hand, but is still gonna put me in the poor house if I let it. Time for a cheap plinker! Yup, it has begun... The need for another firearm.

After a bit of research I decided I would like the Walther P22 for something I could shoot often, cheap. I kind of got what I was looking for, but am a bit disappointed in it's ability to reliably feed & eject all ammo. It loves CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers and has never had a single problem with them after 1500 rounds, but all other ammo has been problematic in it. Mini-Mags and Stingers are expensive compared to other .22LR ammo, so I'm having to pay more than I thought I would be to enjoy it. Overall, it's a good plinker, but I may seek a more cost effective one in the future.

I added lasers to both pistols and attached a blindingly bright light to the M&P! Yup - I got the bug bad. Even applied some gold fill to the M&P. But then, I was done - what else could I do to them? What could I do about this need to accessorize firearms? Then it hit me. I MUST HAVE A AR-15! I fully blame the TGO community for this. Thank you.

The AR-15 was just what I needed. The vast number of accessories and configurations will keep me smiling for a long while.

This post has gotten longer than I intended my introduction to be, so I'm gonna cut it here...

Thank you all for sharing information, experiences, pictures and advice here. It's a great benefit to all!

Hippy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard.

There are a few things goin on in the area. One is a proposed tactical bike ride if you do ride and we don't know where to. Next will be an outing to get some tactical lunch, although we are yet to decide upon a venue or the type of beast we kill, the other would be a meet and shoot. Thats right, just be ready for the draw at prentice cooper.

:D

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Welcome aboard :D

Which range do you usually use?

I've got a membership at Carter's indoor range on Hwy. 58 and go there a couple times a month.

I've just recently visited Prentice Cooper for the first time and hope to be going there more often.

Would love to check out some other ranges, but not sure what else is available. Anyone with a couple hundred acres need a new friend? :D

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I've got a membership at Carter's indoor range on Hwy. 58 and go there a couple times a month.

I've just recently visited Prentice Cooper for the first time and hope to be going there more often.

Would love to check out some other ranges, but not sure what else is available. Anyone with a couple hundred acres need a new friend? :)

Yeah,I done the same two ranges for quite awhile. I eventually got tired of being confined between the partitions at Carters,and watching for the crack heads down at Prentice Cooper.

I now call CHRPC home,and have absolutely loved every minute.

Come on down during one of their matches one weekend,and check it out :D

Guest TurboniumOxide

Another Chattanoogan here. I'm tired of Prentice Cooper, and I work in Cleveland. I really want to join CHRPC, I need to find a sponsor. Anyone?

I'll sponsor you Jeff. Unfortunately the membership is by the calander year, so you would be paying for a whole year to join now. I'm not sure exactly when reups start, probably in Dec. I'll try to remember to post something.

In the meantime try to make it to one of the Saturday shoots, lots of CHRPC members there.

PS, We're going to try to make Saturdays shoot at PC.

PSS, Check the web. http://www.chrpc.com/

http://www.rangeissafe.com/

Edited by Farman