Encounter at Piggly Wiggly

Guest crotalus01

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest logicprevails

Man. I once stayed at a fairly nice hotel in St. Louis that had bars on the windows and an armed guard in the lobby. The ATM on the corner in front had its own armed guard. Sounds like Memphis is heading down that road.

Guest beancounter

I agree that you and the security guard handled the situation perfectly. I would even go one step further and thank the manager that he not only respects my rights but also has a fine, mature security guard to help watch over the store.

Darren

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Security guards for a Police Station are like sand bags around a fox hole? :D:D

We ARE talking about Memphis here.

Even the Police Stations need secutity guards.

Guest DylisTN

I don't think I've ever been to a grocery store, with a security guard! OC sounds like the way to do it. Unless you can just go someplace else.

Guest crotalus01
I don't think I've ever been to a grocery store, with a security guard! OC sounds like the way to do it. Unless you can just go someplace else.

I have never been in a grocery store here that DIDNT have a security guard or 10...

I think you handled it correctly. No point in making an impression that gun owners are buttholes.

On an unrelated note, I once took my drivers license out of my wallet and forgot it. I had to show the cashier at Publix my HCP to buy beer. She got a kick out of it :). She's the only person I've ever had to show it to.

Edited by JeffL
Guest trigem

Let me see...

I'm a security guard working at a place where known crackheads are standing around right out side door, some one walks in to the business with a gun showing (Security guard says :Hey, you got a permit for that? Pop,Pop ) the guard now no longer cares about permit:tinfoil: Man robs business, leaves with no other problems Security guard meets his maker sooner than later:screwy:

Would you have the brass to walk up to a stranger there and put your life in danger?

Guest canynracer
Let me see...

I'm a security guard working at a place where known crackheads are standing around right out side door, some one walks in to the business with a gun showing (Security guard says :Hey, you got a permit for that? Pop,Pop ) the guard now no longer cares about permit:tinfoil: Man robs business, leaves with no other problems Security guard meets his maker sooner than later:screwy:

Would you have the brass to walk up to a stranger there and put your life in danger?

;) wow...just...wow.

Guest SMZRU275

HCP holders giving people attitude doesn't reflect well on those with permits. It was in a business, and was walking around with a firearm out in the open. People really also have to take this location into consideration. If there was any kind of disagreement or attituide, the fine folks at the East Precinct just a street over would have quickly been there just because things in that area usually turn BAD in a instant, and thats usually how all situations are handled, if they take that route or now.

In that area of Memphis, it sometimes is like a third world country, and every bit of added safety or precautions is worth it.

I was really glad to read how this all played out. Being how sketchy parts of Memphis are, showing my ID to prove I can legally carry, means someone will be asked also who DOESN'T have their HCP and they could face criminal actions.

I went to the local Piggly Wiggly in Midtown Memphis last night to pick up a few things. For those who have never been to this location, it has a heavy population of sketchy characters, downright scum, and tons of bums panhandling at the doors and in the parking lot. I have found that OCing my Glock makes my shopping experience much more hassle free, and have never had an issue there.

I went in, got a basket and was browsing an aisle when a security guard approached me - he said "Excuse me, sir, I don't want to bother you but you have to have a permit to carry that in the store. I need to see your permit please."

I briefly considered informing him that he had no right to see my permit since he was not LEO, but as he was very polite and friendly about the whole thing I decided to try and be an ambasador for OC and took the high road, pulled out my permit and showed it to him. He barely even glanced at it and said "Thank you very much sir, now if someone complains to the manager he will already be informed you are good to go".

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this encounter as the guard really had no right to ask for my permit; however, it all turned out good, I was not asked to leave the store and the whole thing took all of a minute of my time. I guess overall I would rate this as a good encounter.

Would any of you have handled this differently?

You met respect with respect, taking the high road was the way to go.

I am not sure why someone would not show their HCP when asked.

Should I be ashamed of having one? Heck no, I am proud of it. I do not go so far as to use it for ID at the bank or beer store, but if someone asks I will happily show them.

I do not care about the thought line that it is no ones business, and only a cop should be asking for it. Bah, who cares.

Show it and be proud.

I would have asked the rent a cop if he had one too :)

( whoa, on further notice this is # 4000 currently.)

I am not sure why someone would not show their HCP when asked.

Should I be ashamed of having one? Heck no, I am proud of it. I do not go so far as to use it for ID at the bank or beer store, but if someone asks I will happily show them.

( whoa, on further notice this is # 4000 currently.)

I use mine when I check in for flights at the airport. However, it seems that I always get extra screening at the checkpoint!

Guest D.B. Cooper
I use mine when I check in for flights at the airport. However, it seems that I always get extra screening at the checkpoint!

I like to use mine when I'm carded for beer in restaurants. Especially in restaurants that have a "NO GUNS" sign posted.

Guest Hyaloid

I duct tape mine to my forehead.

I think the OP acted appropriately, well done!

I think the security guard acted appropriately, well done!

I'll show my ID to just about anyone, I understand the principle behind the folks who don't want anyone to see their HCP, heretofore known as the "don't ask, don't tell" policy...what, does that stand for something else?

Anyhow, it doesn't bother me a lick if everyone is playing nicey-nice to show them a little piece of plastic, if it allows all of us to have a better day.