Taurus PT145 and Glock 30SF

Guest WTDeBerry

Guest WTDeBerry

Ok, the last time I posted I was on about a Glock 23/27 or a S&W M&P40/40c. Well - I have yet to make a purchase due to starting this semester at school and paying for that and yada yada.

Being in and out of gun shops I keep looking at different items. Well, now the .45's have caught my eye. I held a G30SF, and I really like it because, what can I say, it is a Glock with a proven track record. However, I also looked at a Taurus Millenium Pro .45acp. THe ergonomics on the Taurus are much better than on the Glock, but I have also heard not-so-good things on the Taurus, and I want a gun that I know will fire the first time every time.

I have read reviews on both and I have searched the forums and gotten mixed reviews on either side, so I figured it would be easiest for me to just get them all right here. Thanks in advance, and sorry for any inconvenience!

;)

:tough:-WTDeBerry-:tough:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I owned a Glock 30 for a short time. It was the only Glock I have owned that had issues. I only put 100-200 rounds through it, but I had at least a dozen fail to feeds with it. If you go on glock talk you will see that the 30 has some issues. I am not sure if the SF is improved or not.

...I want a gun that I know will fire the first time every time.

You've got a problem then, 'cause there's no such gun. They all can and will fail at some point. Small parts break, you get a bad round in a box of ammo, etc. It's just the nature of the beast.

As for the Glock vs. Taurus debate... they're both good guns. Sure, you get a bad one every now and then, but every manufacturer who makes anything lets a lemon out the door every now and then.

Anyway, choose the one that you like best, shoot it - a lot - and see what you think of it after that. If it turns out that it doesn't live up to your expectations, get rid of it and try another one.

Oh, by the way... I've owned both Glock and Taurus handguns... Never had any need for a warranty with either of 'em, so have no experience with Taurus' supposed horrible service department. Which is exactly as it should be, in my opinion. ;)

Guest donfromtexas

I have the 30SF and it gets my vote. The only time it failed to feed a (just one) round was when my son shot it (his first time shooting a handgun) and he limp wristed it.

The Bianchi 100pro is a great iwb holster for the 30SF, you can actually use it as a owb because the belt clip is very well made.

Guest JHatmaker

My vote goes for the Glock. Seems like too many folks have issues with Taurus, and dealing with their customer service is a pain apparently.

I've owned a PT140, and while I never had any issues with it, there was just something I didn't like about it. Put about 300 rounds through it without a problem, but would still go with the Glock.

My new carry,I have been carrying a XD45C daily,but was introduced the other day to a baby Glock,its now my other daily carry gun,I have 100 rounds thru it with no malfunctions at all,maybe a pic will help you decide.OH NO ITS A G27-forgot to add model,my bad.

00115.jpg

Edited by krunchnik
added text
Guest logicprevails

I would say it's a personal choice. I admire the whole Glock aura and mystique of being able to still fire while disassembled and encased in Cretaceous amber. However, I will say that I've had one of the early iteration PT145's for several years and have fired over 1000 rounds through it without a single failure. I find it more than reasonably accurate within 7-15 yards. I tend to favor guns with a grip angle similar to the 1911...I simply shoot them better. For me, deriving accuracy from a Glock has been more from conscious effort than from inherent pointability.

Guest WTDeBerry
Pretty happy with my Taurus PT-145 so far. Its eating everything I feed it.. is light for a .45, easy to conceal, and feels so good to shoot. Cheap to buy, too.

See that's what I like about it. It IS very light, feels awesome in my hand - I dont know - I pretty much will have my mind made up about it - going with the PT145 - but then will hear something about how it won't feed hollow points or other things of that nature. And I mean, naturally I want to carry a good defensive load in it, which to me means HP's, unless I am mistaken. Any feedback at all on that? Will HP's work in it? And if so, what is a good defensive load for this firearm? This question is directed at any/everybody.

Taurus is not what it used to be, cheap and low quality handguns, now days Taurus makes quality handguns that are good priced and I wouldn`t say that Glock is any better than Taurus, it is all about you and what you like better, with gun you know as soon as you take it in your hand, you will get either a positive feel or not. Glock is a good gun but my G21 felt like I was holding a 2x4 in my hand, and I do have big hands. Thats why I love my SW99, it is not a popular gun by any means and many people don`t even know what it looks like but it feels great in my hands. Out of almost 30 guns I used to have my SW99 and S&W 642 are the only two I kept, for one reason or another. SW99 feels great, looks great and has 17+1 9mm capacity and it is not a big gun, as far as S&W 642 goes, that must be the best CCW I had ever owned, it is .38 special revolver,hammerless, very lite and compact, I can drop that thing in my pocket and will forget I have a gun after 10 minutes. Never bought a holster for it because there is no need for it. to make long story short, you have to know what is that you want from the gun and how does the gun feel in your hand, are you comfortable with the gun? don`t buy a gun you will feel uncomfortable to carry for any reason, get a gun you feel good about and one you will have on you all the time, regardless of the price or the name...if your guts tells you go with Taurus, buy a Taurus..if it feels like a Glock, get a Glock...both good guns...

Db

ps

as far as ammo goes, I had never shot anyone so I have no personal experience first hand and have to see what other people say. I decided to listen my CCW instructor and go with Remmingtons HP Golden Sabre, in 9mm and .38 special. I trust Mr.Buford since he used to be a police officer and has way more experience than I do but there is many good defensive rounds out there to chose from, like I said, I use Remmington Golden Sabre HP and I`m sure other guys will tell you what is that they use and you can figure out what would you like the best. No matter what brand ammo you are using I would recommend changing the ammo in your CCW at least once a year and load your gun with a fresh box of ammo, just in case...

Edited by 44M
Guest beefcakeb0

i carry a pt145 w/ fiberoptic sights. almost any carry position that i know exists above the knee. and it feels great at every one, glocks are heavily reputed though. dont end up with a glock leg. i believe either a g21, 30, or 36 is next on my list but i dont like that pinky hangin all alone. does glock have a lifetime warranty?

See that's what I like about it. It IS very light, feels awesome in my hand - I dont know - I pretty much will have my mind made up about it - going with the PT145 - but then will hear something about how it won't feed hollow points or other things of that nature. And I mean, naturally I want to carry a good defensive load in it, which to me means HP's, unless I am mistaken. Any feedback at all on that? Will HP's work in it? And if so, what is a good defensive load for this firearm? This question is directed at any/everybody.

Yes is will shoot hollow points.. Remington 185gr Golden Sabers or Federal 230gr Hydrashocks are both good defense rounds for this gun.. but there are others also. Really.. your ability to quickly put a round on the target is the most important part of a good defensive round.

p.s. I have a Glock 21 and LOVE that gun, but it is a little too big for CC imo.

I have had both the PT-145 and PT745. Stil own the PT145. Both are fine guns and fired anything I put into the clip. HP's, ball, SWC, even wolf and brown bear.

I don't think you can go wrong with the PT series Taurus.

Guest FiddleDog

the Milleniums have had plenty of time to work out the kinks. I know early on there were issues, but I look at guns the same way that I look at electronics. never go 1st gen. The mils are now on the 3rd gen, and pretty much any issue that's popped up has been addressed. They are great guns that don't break the bank.

Guest TXRoadhouse

I am not a big fan of glocks - ergos, looks - but they do have a proven track record. I have the 24/7 compact in 45 and absolutely love it!! It has a flush fitting 10 round mag and also a 12 round w/ finger extention. it is the sme width and 1/12" longer, so all open ended pt145 holsters should work and all full size 24/7 holsters work. it accurate and reliable and my edc. my brother has the pt145 and has not had any problems with it at all. hope this helps.

Guest dmhazel

I purchased a Taurus PT745 last year as a carry gun. I have put several hundred rounds through it with no problems at all. The gun feels great and has performed well. The price is right!

I think its 1 year.. but reports of Glock repairing for free after that are widespread.

Why would Glock ever have to repair a gun? Aren't they supposed to be perfect, after all? ;):P;)

Guest Outanowhr

I really don't know much about the rugers, but i bought a brand new 30sf in march of this year. I had slow return to battery with it, about the same time there was a thread on glock talk with people having trouble with their 30's and 30sf's. It was one of the longest threads going. Some would send their's back to glock and get them back in same condition. Glock has never to this date admited any problems.I would search more on the 30's before I bought one. I traded mine in to a local dealer but also told him about it. I also have 2 other glocks, a 20sf and a 17 which I have never had a problem with.