Quality of the Judge

Guest hickok

I've picked up a couple of "Judges" in gun shops over the last month. The cylinders on both of them didn't seem to lock up tightly. Is this typical of the gun, or is it like some Colt revolvers that only lock up tightly when the hammer is cocked and/or the trigger is pulled?.....

The August issue of Gun Tests had an article comparing the Judge and the Governor. They didn't mention any problems with cylinder lock up.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one a few months back haven't shot it alot but it is fun to shoot. I've shot the 410 & 45s through mine and found that the accuracy in the 45 to be pretty good even with that short barrel. Haven't had any problems and it locks up tight. I've got the three inch chamber with the three inch barrel with the exposed hammer, didn't like the hammerless model,like to able to shoot it single action part of the time.
Yeah the .410 is a really cool concept, but I really think its more of a toy then the defense pistol they make it out to be.

I've seen at least 2 stories where someone defended themselves with a Judge and were very successful. That said, it definitely wouldn't be my first choice either.

The Judge has done more for .410 ammo than any gun in history. My hat goes off to Taurus. The Judge has out sold every handgun in the world. It's crazy! It has out sold Smith and Wesson and Ruger revolvers by a mile. Smith and Wesson has even copied it with the Governor! I can't understand it either. I have found that since Taurus has a lifetime warranty that they don't need quality control. They just send out the crappy pistols and then repair them when they come back. I personally have a very low opinion of Taurus and would think twice before buying another one.

All I know is this: last year a man in Nashville got out of his truck early one morning to get his newspaper after he came home from work. Confronted by a "baddie" he pulled his Judge, and killed the jerk.

Argue the merits of the gun, but if you do a good web search, you will find multiple stories of the Judge meeting the need in a difficult situation.

Enough said . . .

I love my Judge. I bought the 3"chamber/3" brl as soon as they came out. Squirrel season, bow season for deer and on my bass boat it's on my hip.

I didn't really buy mine as a primary self defense weapon, but with 45C I'm pretty sure it would do the job. I haven't bought any of the specialty 410 ammo either. I load mine with alternating #4 shot and 45C that I load myself. Snakes and a few abnormally bold yotes is what I bought it for.

With a 6 o'clock hold the 45C is dead on for me. I cast my own 230g lrn and leave them at .452. I resize my 45acp to .451.

The trick to buying the Judge, or really any revolver, is to go thru the checklist at the gun store BEFORE you buy it. I check everything out like how tight it is in full lock up, alignment of chamber and forcing cone, gap up front, etc.