Your favorite deer rifle

I'm sure this thread has been done many times before, but deer season is approaching and I'm curious as to what you all rely on. I own several deer rifles, but the one I usually grab is a WInchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight in a walnut stock, chambered in 280 Remington. It is topped with Leupold mounts and a Vari-x III 2.5-8 matte finished scope. What's your arm of choice for those pesky whitetails?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TnDeerHunter

Like them all but usually go with a Winchester 270 short mag topped with varix lll 4.5x12. Next in line is a Thompson Icon in 308 topped with a Zeiss 4.5 x 14.

Up until last year, it was my Remington Model 700 ADL in 30-06. Topped with the same scope as the day I got the gun. It was my 14th birthday present. That was...uh-hmmmm...24 years ago.

Last year I went with my family heirloom Marlin 336CS in 30-30. Its a 1948 model best I can tell. My grandfather bought it new. Gave it to my dad for his 15th birthday in 1961. Killed a 150" whitetail with it on his first deer hunt!!!! A giant for those days. Well, he gave it to me on my 10th birthday, and I have never harvested anything with it until opening morning last year. Harvested a small buck. Took the 336 home, cleaned it up, and put it back in the safe. My son will be the fourth generation in my family to own the gun when he turns 10.

And the wheel, as they say...goes 'round.

I'm going this year with the Mosin Nagant ('cause I can :up:). And probably the 700 again!

Only pic I have of my "go to deer rifle"..Remington 700 in 30-06 with a Simmons whitetail classic 3.5x10x40.I saved up when I was 16 to buy that gun,took me a while,but I got it..It has stacked the deer for me! and the one cat!! :P

HPIM0766.jpg

Guest redbarron06

My T/C encore with 24 inch barrel chambered in .308. Every deer I have shot with it was dead right there.

This was the very first night I took it and slammed both of these does at last light. One was about 110 yards and the other was about 125.

027_24A.jpg

Guest GunTroll
Remington 700 action Shilen #6 SS 26" barreled 25-06 in a H&S Precision stock with a Zeiss 3-12X56 scope on it. Bang Flop deer killer.

Dang! That #6 get heavy??

I like the ones you guys are putting out there "because I can". Thats great!

This year I'm going with a new one to me. Ruger M77 MKII in 350 Rem Mag with a VX3 2.5-8. Haven't even sighted it in yet. Got it last year and parked it. My fall back this year will be my Marlin 95 in 45-70 with a FX-II 6. I like to rotate guns from year to year if not for anything else but to justify their purpose to me.

marlin 336 30/30 have had it since I was 12 and have taken alot of deer with it. I have had several other deer rifles through the years ,but I always come back to old faithful

I will be using a Ruger M77 Mark II in 338 Win Mag to hunt Bear, Wild Pigs and deer this year. My son will be using a Marlin XL7 in 270 Win to hopefully take his first deer he is 13. I may also use my Remington 700 sendero in 300 Win Mag is i need to shoot long range like from ridge to ridge.

My current favorite is my Marlin 1895 in 45-70 with the barrel cut down to 16 inches. It has a Leupold 2x scope mounted up front. Very fast target acquisition. It is a sweet little thumper!

DSCF0042.jpg

I'm in the market for a new deer rifle and I have always considered one of these. Tell me more about it. How does that caliber shoot? I really like the setup you have there...