SP101 fans out there?

Guest FiddleDog

Guest FiddleDog

We've got one in 9mm. LOVE IT. Thinking about gussifying it up (mossy creek has a package that is BEAUTIFUL). Not sure if I should keep it stock, considering the rarity of the chambering.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smooth out the action with the IOWEGAN IBOK, put some grips by a panel maker by the name of "41magnum" on the internet, and shoot the heck out of that....you could shoot that gun 100 shots a day for the rest of your life and it would afterwards still be a great shooter.

Am a pretty big fan of the SP and GP guns...

I love them. I will be purchasing a 2" in .357 in the next couple of weeks. I figure it'll make the perfect birthday present to myself :rolleyes:.

BTW if anyone in E.TN has one they want to part with shoot me a PM. I know it's a shot in the dark, but hey, it's worth a try...

Yeah Triple, that Gemini Kit is no joke. I've been looking into sp101 mods, and that one is the mack daddy.

There was a sp101 for sale on either TFL or THR recently that had, among other things, the Gemini setup. It was selling for around a grand :2cents::D .

Ed:

You rule! Thanks for the tip. They have the exact one I'm looking for. Hopefully they won't sell it in the next couple of days. :tinfoil:

I can't wait to post a pic of my very own SP. I put off buying one for almost a year now. This procrastination has gone on long enough... Now it's time for action.

OhShoot:

Where did you get those grips? What type of wood is it? I'm either wanting ivory or something like what you have. Yours is looking mighty nice.

Edited by (BH)

OhShoot:

Where did you get those grips? What type of wood is it? I'm either wanting ivory or something like what you have. Yours is looking mighty nice.

They're just the factory grips, which I find excellent for best combo of shock absorption and concealment.

The wooden inserts I got off eBay from one of the folks who make them and sell on there, dakins7579. They're red oak, under $20. He, and maybe some others, also make them out of rarer woods, too (and more expensive).

- OS

Yeah I guess I should have specified that my question was concerning the inserts. I'm with you, I think the factory grips are great, they're way better than the Hogues. Of the two I've shot (one w/factory, one w/Hogues), I liked the factory the best....and they just look awesome with wooden inserts. I'm going to have to check out the selection on eBay once I pick mine up.

I'm getting all giddy about finally owning and SP101.... Just keeping my fingers crossed that Tri-Cities has one til Wednesday. :D:x::)

Thanks for the tip.

IBOK = IOWEGAN's Book Of Knowledge. It will tell you how to care for your Ruger and gives pointers on how to polish selected bits of its guts to give it the sweetest action you could imagine.

IOWEGAN is a retired gunsmith who hangs out over on RUGERFORUM.NET (hope I don't get whacked with the ban stick for that). Nice place, full of good folks. Just like here!

You have to register and rack up ten posts to get access to the library. The IBOKs (he has written more than one) are there.

Well I got one today, and couldn't be more happy. This thing is awesome! I'll make it official with some pics sometime tonight or tomorrow.

I have to give a huge +100 thumbs up and thanks to Gregg and Wayne over at Sevier Indoor Range. Awesome guys, great prices, and a really nice range. It is well worth the drive.

...And after shooting mine today, it looked like Gregg got the itch for an SP101 as well.

Edited by (BH)

Love my little but powerful SP101 .357 Mag. I've been procrastinating about getting a lighter hammer spring from Wolf Springs but I also believe their page included a trigger return spring with the kit. Is that necessary with a changout of the main spring and is it easy to do?