Bug out vehicles

Why is your horse wearing pants?

:devil: here's 2 better questions:

1) "why does your horse have 4 front legs?"

2) "why are the extra legs pointed the wrong way?"

nope, those are my pants. remember Tim the Tool-Man Taylor's next door neighbor Wilson? any second I'm gonna peek over that saddle and give some neighborly advice... :D

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely problem here is an Earthquake. Odds of getting out of Memphis, due to creek/river/bridge crossings will be very very low, if not 0 in a large earthquake. Disease epidemic or other issues, I'm within 100 miles of my go to place out in the country. We will be in my Jeep Wrangler. Whole family 4 kids, wife, can go in it.

Earthquake? I am probably riding it out at home as long as possible or at GMA's house but there is an inner state crossing involved and likely the overpass would be out.

Disease, Looting, Hijacking, Willie getting elected President? Heading down south if possible where there are horses for better travel if necessary and 100+ acres that deer like to feed on.

Oak Ridge nuke plant problem...Gotta leave fast. Hey can Al Gore turn his lights out so you can shut the plant down? Everyone just go to his house and get on his private plane. He'll probably fly out empty anyway.

These little rigs would be great for gettin out fast!

ATT000023.jpg

I live between the Y-12 plant and the old K-25 facility (now East TN Technology Park) and work in the Oak Ridge City Central Service Complex a few hundred yards north of Y-12. My wife works at the waste facility near the west portal of Y-12. I figure if something were to ever actually happen there is no BOV that could save us. The only thing that might help is if Scotty can beam us up quickly enough.

My family, being of utmost importance, would be loaded into my Dodge 3500 Dually, and we'd be throwing what we could into the bed and quadcab, and be hitting the road. You have to love diesel - can combust almost anything... used motor oil, automatic trans fluid, used parts-washer fluid (seriously, :P ), and of course, your regular #1 and #2 diesel.

Guest JoeNashville
My family, being of utmost importance, would be loaded into my Dodge 3500 Dually, and we'd be throwing what we could into the bed and quadcab, and be hitting the road. You have to love diesel - can combust almost anything... used motor oil, automatic trans fluid, used parts-washer fluid (seriously, :lol: ), and of course, your regular #1 and #2 diesel.

Don't forget veggie oil!! While all the others are lined up at gas stations, you can pull into the fast food restaurant and gas up!! :lol:

Of course we haven't even discussed what caused the bug out situation and where we would bug out to... :)

Guest Gun Geek
Don't forget veggie oil!! While all the others are lined up at gas stations, you can pull into the fast food restaurant and gas up!! :lol:

Of course we haven't even discussed what caused the bug out situation and where we would bug out to... :)

No joke those fat food restaurants have to pay for the disposal of that stuff, I think they should just put a gas pump on it and give it away to the diesel ppl, save costs both ways.

No joke those fat food restaurants have to pay for the disposal of that stuff, I think they should just put a gas pump on it and give it away to the diesel ppl, save costs both ways.

I used to run B100 (I still run B20), but fast food places in Cool Springs now want me to PAY to take their crap away... it's just not worth it, because I ended up having to drive around to multiple places to scout for it, then load it, then go home and process the stuff. It ended up being a waste of time, unless I dedicated an afternoon to going out and getting 40-50 gallons of SVO. Now, I just pay like everyone else does, but I will get back into it in the near future, and I will actually buy a professional rig like a GreaseMeister, or build one that is better than what I was doing before (and doesn't stink, make my eyes burn).

Most places actually get paid for it.

I know when I was working in the restraunt biz, my boss received a check every month at a per/gallon price. It wasn't much, like $10-$15 per month I believe.

A buddy of mine has been running SVO in his dual-tanked Mercedes 300D for about 3yrs now with no problems. He's got an auxillary set up in his garage that runs it through a series of filters, then he's got an inline filtering system in his car. He did upgrade to slightly larger injectors, but other than that, he's pretty stock. He has even run SVO through several winters with no issues if gelling.

It DOES however, smell kinda like french fries :poop:

He bought a 500gal steel tank from a farmer off of craigslist, and he keeps it pretty much topped off w/ 3 or 4 free sources in the Nashville area.

A vehical aint the best idea, need to be quite and mobil, off the main path. You can hear vehicals miles away and they are limited to where you can get them. If you want to bug out hores might be best. Yet my feet aint let me down yet! :D

Guest Bluemax
A vehical aint the best idea, need to be quite and mobil, off the main path. You can hear vehicals miles away and they are limited to where you can get them. If you want to bug out hores might be best. Yet my feet aint let me down yet! :D

Not quite sure the warden would allow a couple of hores in the truck athough they would be a lot of fun at the SHTF party...chips,dips,chains,whips and such ;):):)

Hmmm...if Oak Ridge actually goes......I don't think E. TN has a chance to wipe their butts before death arrives. Between the "Ridge", Watts Bar, Bull Run and other "power producing" plants in the area, we all just go boom and vaporize. Damns break, gass lines break....between all the carnage of the aftermath due to floods, fires and storms and the actuall "necular" explosion.....we all iz dead! :death:

Guest H0TSH0T

see i don't need a bug out vehicle, i have guns , ammo, gas-mask with bio and chemical warfare cartridges, water fuel and rations. and will stay and pray, i can defend my area fairly well, i also invest in spike strips to block off the road. and would cut down the power poles if needed, to block the road off even more, after a few vehicles have been disabled, lol

this little thing has yet to let me down well once i tried to follow a bull dozer and got a little hung in the ruts but the portable winch fixed that just finehuntingandfishing9252004002.jpg

guess the pic wont show uphuntingandfishing9252004003.jpg

Edited by 7mmMag
Guest H0TSH0T
What if your area floods? or is threatened by fire? What if Oak Ridge goes kafluey?

Bugout vehicle boys!

well you may have seen it on the news a week or so ago now, East Ridge TN did flood, i am still here. i live on a hill if it floods me out better build an ark...

as far as fire not to worried, the fire department is less than 1/4 mile from the house and only needs to make one turn once they are out of the station.

and if things go nuclear i will be breaking out alcohol and will have the best party ever at my place in the shortest amount of time ever. if i am gonna burn to ash, i would rather be happy at home than honking for some dumb ass to get out of my way in a rage.

I've always said if we get into a Nuclear exchange and I'm at work, I'm going to the nearest Stop-N-Rob and buy a six pack and watch the light show from the hood of my car. Don't figure I'm going to make it home in time, since I work near the Ridge. I have to figure Oak Ridge would be on the first round of targets.

to whoever said that " a diesel is EMP-proof" is misinformed. EMP takes out all electronics to speak of. gas or diesel doesnt matter if its all mechanically controlled. however the diesel does excel in the fact that it can burn multiple fuels.

Depends mainly on ignition. If the ignition is controlled by ecu, then you're pretty much screwed. If it's an old school points distributor, you're more than likely good to go.

The secondary soloution is to use a Faraday cage to store parts that could be damaged by an EMP.