Finally Got My Browning

Guest Matchguy

Guest Matchguy

In the past I have loudly extolled the virtues of the BHP clones, and even signed onto a Browning Hi Power site recently with a photo of a FEG PJK 9HP and a light-hearted question as to whether I would be allowed to post on their Browning site if I owned a clone. The webmaster graciously admitted me without prejudice for my preference in guns. icon_smile_big.gif However I am not totally without a certain amount of class and have owned a BHP before, although I stupidly sold it when my employer outlawed single action autos.

Well, I've been hurting all over for another one, and with prices going crazier by the day I figured that if I wanted an example of the most beautifully designed and consistently well-built firearm of the past 75 years, I had to do it now or forget it. So I didditt. Here she is:

pix1973745765.jpg

Basically, I went looking for an older, Pre-Mk III pistol with the larger, improved sights, in brand new condition. This is the one I settled on and fought hard for. I won the bidding with a bid of $762, with 19 other guys bidding on it. My total cost in the gun is $827 with shipping, FFL, and so on.

pix1973746000.jpg

It is a 1979 "Sport" model in 99+% condition, prolly not having fired more than a couple of mags in its life. The blue job is not marked anywhere inside the gun, including the hammer, firing pin or retaining plate. It has the cylindrical or "beer can" rear sight, humped feed ramp, and small safety lever. The springs feel brand new, even after 30 years.

Believe it or not the gun has a beautiful trigger in it.....about 7 pounds, totally crisp letoff, and less overtravel than I've ever seen in this design regardless of manufacturer. To say I'm delighted with it is an understatement of the first magnitude.

So what will I do with it and what mods do I intend to add to it? It will be a prized target pistol that I intend to leave totally factory stock if I can. I'm going to try to find another small safety to have modified with an extended lever, but the original one will be left alone and kept with the gun always. This pistol will be an heirloom.

Now for the most important question.....was it worth it? Well, like most serious gun enthusiasts I am quite accustomed to sleeping on the porch and eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, so the short answer is: Yes, it was absolutely worth it and then some. Best

Jerry

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Matchguy
Very nice, on my list at some point in the future. Looks to be in great condition.

Thank you. Yes, it has been fired so little there is no white metal visible anywhere on the interior of the slide or frame, and the mags don't even show any drag marks from being inserted in the gun. My gut feeling is that somebody test fired it long ago and made a safe queen out of it......but then safe queens are OK if you're the one receiving them.:koolaid:

Jer

Guest Matchguy

Well guys, this isn't much of a range report but it's the best I can do right now. I had elbow surgery in my shootin' arm 26 days ago and am kindof dogging it mightily in the recoil department.

PICT0268.jpg

I centered up the rear sight visually and fired a five shot group from the bench at 12 yards on a 2" orange disc. It printed high and slightly right, so I cranked the ol' beercan rear sight down and left and it went directly to zero, as you see it above. This was with Federal American Eagle 115 grain FMJ ammo. Recoil seemed a little hard but with my right hand overly sensitive I can't really tell if it was the gun or me....it didn't seem to sling empties over the fence, but nevertheless I'll be installing the Wolff extra power 18.5 lb recoil spring just to be safe and to hold down on the wear and tear on my olphart self......and that flyer was me, not the gun....but then you already knew that. grin.gif

Best to all

Jerry

Guest Matchguy
Are BHP's as tricky to field strip as I've heard?

No, they're not. In fact they strip as simply as just about any pistol I've ever seen. You simply clear the gun, remove the magazine, rack the slide back until the safety lever goes into the small slot in front of the slide knurling, then lift up on the left side of the slide stop while pushing it out from the opposite side until you can get a grip on it and lift it all the way out.

Now you hold onto the slide assembly with your left hand and the grip frame with your right and release the safety lever from its slot with your right hand. Slide the entire upper assembly off of the frame. It is still under spring tension at this time so restrain the slide and grip frame a bit when you drop the safety lever out of its slot.

Now you set the frame aside and turn the slide upside down....now ease the recoil spring guide forward out of its recess in the barrel cam lug and ease it and the spring rearward and out of the gun. Now the barrel can be simply lifted out. That's it.

The frame needs no disassembly for normal maintenance.

I've had the Browning Hi Power disassembed to its smallest components, and its simplicity and sophistication of design is amazing. So don't be afraid to field strip it. It's actually a little easier to field strip than a 1911.

BUT it has one glitch during reassembly that you have to know about.....the recoil spring guide has a slot in it for the slide stop to go through, and when you put the recoil spring guide back into its recess in the barrel cam lug, looking downward, you will see that the slide stop slot is offset from center. You must always orient the slot to the right of center before replacing it into its recess in the barrel cam lug. If you assemble it oriented to the left of center the gun can be damaged. Other than that it's a snap to reassemble as well.

Jer

Edited by Matchguy

Nice! Sadly that is a fairly good deal these days.;) My first handgun was a FEG PJK-9HP and it was a very nice pistol. It kindaq ruined me from DA pistols though. I've since owned a .40 HP, an FN SFS .40 - back when CDNN had them for $429 (just last year too)! Fantastic guns every one.

Guest Matchguy

That's a beautiful Hi Power, DMark. I carried one off duty from '85 to '91, but my employer outlawed single action autos and I had to go to something else. They adopted DA/SA S&W 4006's which pretty well addicted me to the DA/SA system, so all of my carry guns are such. At this late stage I'd be afraid of going back to cocked and locked, so this particular Browning will be for target shooting and petting. :)

MG