Church Security

Guest rockytop
Does the whole church/school thing extend to private schools, or is that a whole other animal?

I'm just curious as I would think any church with a school located on it's grounds would be a private school.

IANAL. but I believe Religious sponsored Colleges/Universities would be considered private institutions and the Code doesn't seem to distinguish between them and State owned Universities. Therefore if the State recognizes a private K-12 school as a school, where are we? Don't get me wrong, I think a Church should not fall under a "school" designation unless it is in the physical act of serving as a school with students present.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, doesn't the TN CC law specifically make churches official criminal empowerment zones by prohibiting CC by otherwise law abiding citizens?

You probably are thinking of Kentucky. They are not allowed to carry to church.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to posting on this. Got a bit tied up. Thank you for the responses and we will be giving Ben a call in the very near future. ICT has been on my heart for this, for many reasons.

Arko thanks for the head up on the Bradley County Sheriff. There might be a way to get some help there since our headquarters is located in Cleveland.

Does anyone know of a trainer or group in Tennessee who has worked with churches on security arrangements? Something along the lines of verbally solving the problem and if that doesn't work move on to Mace or a Stun Gun.

99% of event will not require a firearm but we have a few people with or in the process of getting their carry permit. But those still need training in when to use it.

Spiffy, check your PM.

You probably are thinking of Kentucky. They are not allowed to carry to church.
I don't believe that's true. I don't see churches as a prohibited place in this link http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf

It's GA......

Georgia Code 16-11-127 A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when he carries (Police, Military and others

listed under GC 16-11-130 are exempt)

To or while at a public gathering any explosive compound, firearm, or knife designed for the purpose of

offense and defense.

(:meh:

For the purpose of this Code section, "public gathering" shall include, but shall not be limited to,

athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or

operated buildings, establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the

premises which derive less than 50 percent of their total annual gross food and beverage sales from the

sale of prepared meals or food and you cannot drink alcohol while there. Nothing in this Code section

shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to carry such firearm by this part.

Edited by Batman

I am head of security at our Church, and have taught numerous permit classes for churches large and small. We have done several things at my Church to deter problems, and are prepared if something goes down. Churches need to be trained, or at least have a plan for all sorts of disaster types of cases. Its not just about stopping bad guys Churches need to be ready for Fires, tornado's, other disasters. If you want to know how your church will respond, have a fire drill and watch the people. If they panic or have a deer in the head lights look about them then you know you have a problem. Most congrigations dont think about this sort of thing until its too late. If you need help getting something started PM me and I'll help any way I can.

Just wanted to give an update to the people who have PMed me. We are still in the working stages of the finical matters which will allow professional help in this area but be assured that your companies are getting serious thought.

I'm not familiar with any group who specializes in church security. However, my previous church in Nashville consulted with the local sherrifs department and was given advice on how to provide proper security for their location. While concealed carry by members was encouraged, it was not the most important factor in providing proper saftey to members of the church. Detering criminals can prevent tradgedies before they even happen. The officer listed many suggestions that were put into place. The first would be to organize a security board whose size would depend on the size of the congregation. Also, it's up to the church if they want to cover them under any liability policies but it was strongly recommended. The security board would then be in charge of things like making a walk of the parking lot a couple of times every service to check on peoples cars and to deter criminal walk-ins. Having a few cars or trucks in the lot with magnetic security signs on them was also a suggestion. This security board should then appoint only a few permit carrying members of the church to carry concealed. This is not saying that the church will keep anyone from carrying on church grounds if they so choose but that the church will appoint who they want to engage attackers and that these people are the only ones they want shooting back unless someone is personally confronted. If someone were to walk in and start shooting, you don't want every single person in the crowd to stand up and start shooting back. You need people in charge of getting everyone out of there safely just as much as you need people to stop the attacker/s. Seating the designated people evenly from front to back was also suggested. Also, having someone sitting in the lobby during services will give them a chance to engage/greet any strays that happen to walk in, criminal or not. We all know how those deacons are! It's a crazy world we live in that makes all this neccessary but it's always better to be prepared then be another example on the news as to why we need security in the first place!

We have talked about the everyone carrying. We don't want everyone shooting at one guy but then there is a limit on the number of legally armed people in the church.

Funny thing is all that I have thought about and we have talked about in this thread, the pastor has a notebook full of stuff he has thought about. He just hasn't had anyone willing to help him. But he has more help now with stuff than he thought he would get.

• Administrator
Spiffy, check your PM.

Randy, you need to check yours momentarily. As you are not a Supporting Vendor, you are not to be using TGO (even by PM) to promote your own business.

I would hope that the OP will give those who have chosen to support this community a shot before contacting you. If you want to remedy that situation, I'd be happy to provide you with the opportunity.

Thanks.