Church Security

Does anyone know of a trainer or group in Tennessee who has worked with churches on security arrangements? Something along the lines of verbally solving the problem and if that doesn't work move on to Mace or a Stun Gun.

99% of event will not require a firearm but we have a few people with or in the process of getting their carry permit. But those still need training in when to use it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lord provides means for us to take care of our selves!!!

The lord provided me with the means to own guns and expects me to take it from there. He has more important things to take care of in this crazy world than being a bodyguard for me. I do wish he could put me onto a few hundred rounds of .45 ACP though.

Guest Jcochran88
actually, doesn't the TN CC law specifically make churches official criminal empowerment zones by prohibiting CC by otherwise law abiding citizens?

No churches are not prohibited automatically, unless the church is posted you are good to go.

Guest canynracer
actually, doesn't the TN CC law specifically make churches official criminal empowerment zones by prohibiting CC by otherwise law abiding citizens?
Who taught your permit class?

You wuz robbed.

- OS

Yes, you can carry...and its also not a "CC" permit...open OR concealed...if you carry two, you can do both! :up:
I would think that the flock would be saved by "you know who".
Doesn't the Lord take care of all that?

He helps those that help themselves.

His rod and staff protect and comfort me. And he has given me a 9mm rod and a .38 caliber staff along with the skills, resources, and will to use them in the event of an emergency.

I think it applies in Church, too. Maybe more then than any other time.

I'll have enough explaining to do, so if I'm in Church and an active shooter situation develops, I plan to respond. I don't intend on explaining why I allowed someone to disrespect his House and slay his people unchallenged when I could have slowed it down or ended it.

Guest 70below

I'll have enough explaining to do, so if I'm in Church and an active shooter situation develops, I plan to respond. I don't intend on explaining why I allowed someone to disrespect his House and slay his people unchallenged when I could have slowed it down or ended it.

Amen.......

The meek may inherit the earth.....but the Lord isn't a pansy either.

Spiffy, our medium-sized church took advantage of some larger churches in the area who have had to implement things sooner than we did, so we talked with them first to find out what they did, so as to no reinvent the wheel. Seeking professional trainers is a definite, too....

Guest rockytop
No churches are not prohibited automatically, unless the church is posted you are good to go.

If your Church is also used as a School, this may exempt your right to carry at Church anytime. If you have a school, you would be wise to seek legal council before carrying.

Guest rockytop

There is an old thread here somewhere that discusses the legal aspects of Church carry. Where are you, FALLGUY?

I also recommend contacting some large Churches to learn what their security program consist of. This is what we did and it was very helpful. Most Church Security Ministries will be willing to meet with you and give you a lot of information regarding things they have learned.

I work with Churches and Synagogues, helping them to develop real world solutions to their security needs.

We begin by discussing what you are specifically looking to accomplish, then we move on to a detailed threat assessment of your entire grounds, including your parking area, your perimeter, your interior buildings, etc...

A detailed report is then compiled and we begin to work on implementing the security recommendations based on the findings of the assessment. (This is truly an "out of the box" assessment, putting myself in the role of the attacker/thief/kidnapper etc..and closing up any and all gaps found in your Churches security, not only based on an attack, but also based on any other emergency, from fire, to Emergency Medical, to kidnapping attempts, to non lethal and lethal force etc...)

Please see my website at www.IsraeliCombatTraining.com (once you enter the website, look at the upper right hand box where it says "click here for threat assessment and security evaluation.")

We can discuss more offline, in private.

Please feel free to contact me via the website "Contact" page.

Thank you,

Ben Goldstein

I'm not familiar with any group who specializes in church security. However, my previous church in Nashville consulted with the local sherrifs department and was given advice on how to provide proper security for their location. While concealed carry by members was encouraged, it was not the most important factor in providing proper saftey to members of the church. Detering criminals can prevent tradgedies before they even happen. The officer listed many suggestions that were put into place. The first would be to organize a security board whose size would depend on the size of the congregation. Also, it's up to the church if they want to cover them under any liability policies but it was strongly recommended. The security board would then be in charge of things like making a walk of the parking lot a couple of times every service to check on peoples cars and to deter criminal walk-ins. Having a few cars or trucks in the lot with magnetic security signs on them was also a suggestion. This security board should then appoint only a few permit carrying members of the church to carry concealed. This is not saying that the church will keep anyone from carrying on church grounds if they so choose but that the church will appoint who they want to engage attackers and that these people are the only ones they want shooting back unless someone is personally confronted. If someone were to walk in and start shooting, you don't want every single person in the crowd to stand up and start shooting back. You need people in charge of getting everyone out of there safely just as much as you need people to stop the attacker/s. Seating the designated people evenly from front to back was also suggested. Also, having someone sitting in the lobby during services will give them a chance to engage/greet any strays that happen to walk in, criminal or not. We all know how those deacons are! It's a crazy world we live in that makes all this neccessary but it's always better to be prepared then be another example on the news as to why we need security in the first place!

Bradley county Sheriff's department has an actual Church Security Officer program. You may want to look them up online and perhaps they can offer some advice/help as well.