Kimber or SA?

Guest hi im drummer03

Guest hi im drummer03

So,today my father and i went out to several gun shops.Looked at different 1911's.This was after the thankful help in the other thread.We looked at the following 1911s.All in fullsize S&W SW1911,Springfield Loaded Lightweight,Taurus PT1911,Kimber Grand RaptorII,Kimber Tactical,Kimber CDPII Aluminum/Stainless.My dad has decided on the Kimber CDPII.

My questions are.

What do you guys feel pros and cons between the Springfield Loaded Lightweight vs Kimber CDPII Aluminum Frame/Stainless Slide?

He kept going back and forth between these models.Most said SA was hard to beat for the money.Although the Kimber is more eye candy with some more features and you didnt mind spending the money.Difference is 120 dollars.Please assist,thnx in advance...

Edited by hi im drummer03
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both nice pistols...

Kimber fans are very loyal, but I think you may find the general consensus to be that Springfield has a slight edge in the reputation dept.

honestly though, it's kind of a ford vs chevy thing... just go with the one that feels right to you.

Guest hi im drummer03

Thats what i was thinking...

Both of them should last with proper maintenance?

Price difference is 120 dollars...

Edited by hi im drummer03

Basic thing is SA is 70 series and Kimber is 80 series. the models you were looking at are pretty much all alloy fram so there should not be any difference. the CDP is a very nice gun enjoy :) and Kimber has a great warranty customer service dept and stand behind their product 100%.

Guest HexHead
Basic thing is SA is 70 series and Kimber is 80 series. the models you were looking at are pretty much all alloy fram so there should not be any difference. the CDP is a very nice gun enjoy :) and Kimber has a great warranty customer service dept and stand behind their product 100%.

Couple of inaccuracies in there. First of all, the Kimber is NOT a Series 80. Kimber uses a Swartz safety which is activated by the grip safety, as opposed to the trigger on Colt's Series 80 system. The big difference comes when field stripping the pistol, you have to be careful not to depress the grip safety when removing or installing the slide. Otherwise you risk shearing off the safety's piston and rendering your pistol inoperative.

While Kimber's customer service may be as good as Springfield's, they don't have a lifetime warranty like Springfield (or Colt for that matter). Most manufacturers in that price range are offering lifetime warranties, Kimber does not.

I've had two Kimbers (both of which were trouble free) and two Springfields and now have a Colt. The only one of those companies I'd buy another from is Colt.

I was looking at the same two handguns, as well and the SA EMP. My deciding factor was that SA frames are made in Brazil, while the Kimber is stil %100 made in the US (Granted its Yonkers, which isnt too far from some other crap hole 3rd world). I couldnt make my self pay $100 less for a Brazilian frame.

As a side note I bought a XD a few years ago and being SA I thought it might be US. Nope, Croatia. With that said, if I want an imported gun, I'll buy imported. Just my 0.02.

Edited by buck1032
stupid hunt and pack typing. LOL

I've owned a couple Kimbers... both were nice but problematic and had to be sent back (both times, after I put a bunch of ammo through them... at first they told me it had to be that they weren't broken in yet...), and since neither worked as good as a more inexpensive RIA (before and after going back), I got rid of them.

while I haven't shot a full size Springfield 1911, I've shot and come very close to buying an EMP... From what I can tell they're built every bit as nice as the Kimbers, and I've heard much less chatter of them having problems.

Doesn't hurt that the Springfield's come with a holster and mag pouch - which I think is a nice touch and wish more manufacturers would do... the molded holsters are convenient until you decide what you really want, and after dropping several hundred dollars on a new pistol, not having to start your holster hunt right away is nice IMO.

Edited by CK1
Guest hi im drummer03
I have a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry and a Dan Wesson Bobtail. Of the two you listed I would probably go with the Springfield Armory just because of their lifetime warranty...otherwise it would be another Dan Wesson hands down.

Yeh im thinking of Dan Wesson for me.

Whats the difference in a Dan Wesson CZ-45 Heritage, Dan Wesson Bobtail,Dan Wesson CBOB?

Couple of inaccuracies in there. First of all, the Kimber is NOT a Series 80. Kimber uses a Swartz safety which is activated by the grip safety, as opposed to the trigger on Colt's Series 80 system. The big difference comes when field stripping the pistol, you have to be careful not to depress the grip safety when removing or installing the slide. Otherwise you risk shearing off the safety's piston and rendering your pistol inoperative.

While Kimber's customer service may be as good as Springfield's, they don't have a lifetime warranty like Springfield (or Colt for that matter). Most manufacturers in that price range are offering lifetime warranties, Kimber does not.

I've had two Kimbers (both of which were trouble free) and two Springfields and now have a Colt. The only one of those companies I'd buy another from is Colt.

yeh i noticed that too.Its interesting Kimber is not lifetime warranty.

Have you checked out STI? I shoot a lot of IDPA, and running and gunning tends to expose less than reliable guns. STI dominates all other 1911s in reliability (obviously not a scientific study involved, but I have watched lots of 1911 shooters). I'm thinking about getting a 1911 soon, and STI's Trojan can easily be found for under $1000. Check their website:

STI International, Inc.

I have a Kimber that i bought used, and i have sent it to kimber a couple of times and they have fixed it no questions asked, i know they don't advertise lifetime but they stand behind their product for heck of a long time.

Although I don't have experience with the SA, I do have a Kimber Pro CDP. I was a little nervous about some of the things I had read. I can say that mine has been without a flaw. I have put about 300 rounds of any thing I could find through it, including JHP. So far I have not had a hiccup.

My only problem is now I want a 3" model. Maybe I will get a SA to compare to.:D

Have an SA Micro-Compact - it just fit my hand better than the Kimber Ultra CDP version. Put several hundred rounds through it without any problems. Also, looked at several Kimber full-size versions before deciding on a Colt Combat Elite...again, the Colt just felt better in my hand.

Kimber uses the Swartz safety (except the SIS models) on everything with II in the nambe (CDPII as an example). It orally inhales to the nth degree. It is the reason, IMNSHO, Kimber doesn't have a lifetime warranty on it's 1911's.

Springfield Armory, OTOH, is drop safe via a light firing pin and heavy spring - a much more trouble free idea.

If you can find a first series Kimber, it will be one of the most trouble free 1911's to be found. Since Kimber went to the gun of month club and the Swartz safety, not so much. If they run, they run until the Swartz safety gets out of sync or damaged.

I have a Para (series 80) and a Springfield on the way. I'm looking to trade around and get a Kimber series I. I won't buy a Kimber II. A lot of top shelf 1911 gunsmiths use Springfields as base guns.

..... Difference is 120 dollars.Please assist,thnx in advance...

I own Colt, Kimber, and SA.

Like others have said its sort of a Chevy vs Ford deal when picking between Kimber or SA.

However - - - If it was me the $120 would be the deal "maker."

Buy the SA and then you can use the extra $120 for a good holster, or ammo, or training, etc., etc., etc. :D

You guys are giving me buyers remorse. I guess I wil have to run it a little longer and try something different.

Oh yea,, don't forget that Hero Gear has some super sweet guns they offer. You can set it up, and color how you want. I should have went ahead and paid down on it rather than buying the Kimber?????

Let us know what you end up with!

Guest hi im drummer03
You guys are giving me buyers remorse. I guess I wil have to run it a little longer and try something different.

Oh yea,, don't forget that Hero Gear has some super sweet guns they offer. You can set it up, and color how you want. I should have went ahead and paid down on it rather than buying the Kimber?????

Let us know what you end up with!

What are you looking at?

Kimber uses the Swartz safety (except the SIS models) on everything with II in the nambe (CDPII as an example). It orally inhales to the nth degree. It is the reason, IMNSHO, Kimber doesn't have a lifetime warranty on it's 1911's.

QUOTE]

Can you touch on this smore more.To me the parts maybe some of a moot point since there rated for 50k rounds...

My Kimber Compact CDP was the biggest waste of $1000 ever...made me gunshy about any 1911 for a while.

What was wrong with yours?

Did you buy it new?

How long ago?

CDPII?

Oh yeh,were looking at the Pro and Custom...

Although I don't have experience with the SA, I do have a Kimber Pro CDP. I was a little nervous about some of the things I had read. I can say that mine has been without a flaw. I have put about 300 rounds of any thing I could find through it, including JHP. So far I have not had a hiccup.

My only problem is now I want a 3" model. Maybe I will get a SA to compare to.:D

CDPII?

What size do you currently have?

Of all the 1911's I have owned (Wilson Combat CQB, Kimber TLE/RLII, Springfield Loaded, Colt Delta Elite, and Colt Officers Model) and knowing your 2 choices, I would have to suggest the Kimber. I did not like the Springfield model I had and the trigger sucked compared to my Kimber (both were stock). The only 2 I kept were the Wilson Combat and the Kimber.

I did handle the demo model of the Hero Gear 1911 and it is a good piece.

kimber was the most expensive 1911 i have ever bought, it was also the worst the customer service was as bad as the pistol. traded it off.

do have several SA and Para,s very happy with both and there customer service.

Mine was a new Compact CDP II BUT it had an internal extractor. Most blame the external extractors, but mine was internal. I got it 3 or 3.5 years ago.

Kimber shipped the gun w/ a magazine follower for use in steel frame guns only. A guy posted on 1911.org that certain followers would chew up the frames of alloy guns. When mine had only 200-300 rounds I checked it and sure enough, it looked like a mouse had been chewing it just below the feed ramp. I was stunned. Aftermarket followers ended the frame gouging, but didn't help the feeding problems. Also, magazines would not drop free. I put an aftermarket mag release in, and it was cured. Ahhh, a minor tooling fault 1911 fans told me--it can be fixed w/ a dremel tool. Sorry, but having to dremel parts on a $1000 gun to make it perform a basic function is a travesty. Piss poor quality control. The gun was a one-hole tachdriver...when it shot. FTEs, FTFs stovepipes, feedway malfunctions, you name it, randomly, with no rhyme or reason. Tried different mags, different ammo, different recoil springs, a 1911 whisperer tuned the extractor, and just about the time I would get 30 or 40 rounds through it and start thinking it was running ok, it would bobble another one. I hated that gun. Not long after I got rid of it, I started shooting IDPA, and found that I wasn't the only one who hated Kimbers. Locally, there is a running joke about getting a Kimber in order to get better at tap-rack-bang drills. Buyer beware. Look at DW or STI.

Edited by deerslayer

gotta stick up for the kimbers, i have 2 and never had a problem with any of them. my shooting partner has one that he bought about 9 yrs ago that has shot at least 10,000 rounds through it and its performed flawless. my dad carries his ultra carry everywhere for the last 5 yrs and np, so to each there own. you know what the say about opions.