Tactical Response - Fighting Pistol Oct 31 - Nov 1 AAR

Guest iamtwon

Guest iamtwon

This was a quick writeup I did specifically for GetOffTheX.com Forums, but I thought I'd share it with you guys. I REALLY got a lot out of it and it happen to be one of the best weekends I've had, EVER. I will add more details if anyone is interested. Thanks for reading!

I came across Tactical Response by a fluke. I had an opportunity to watch the Fighting

Pistol DVD about a year prior to this class, and I found myself asking why I

wasn't prepared to protect myself and my family. I figured it was time to act, and that's when

I found out Tactical Response was in Camden, Tennessee. I happen to be from Nashville, and at

that point I thought it was a door opening in my face that I'd be stupid not to enter. I have

had no shooting experience other than a few shots here and there with years in between them. I

have never owned a gun, and never had anyone to teach me about hunting, self protection,

fighting, or target shooting. I am thankful that I am building a solid foundation consisting

of a wise mindset, tactics that work, skills (to be added to my toolbox), and gear that does

not malfunction.

There were 12 of us, and it was a real Oregon Trail-mix of people. A surgeon, a computer

guy/EMT, contractors, a principle/cover model, a Marine, and more of course that I'm leaving

out not that I don't love them all. I saw names on guns like H&K (cough), Sig, Kimber, S&W,

Glocks - My 19, the one alumnus's 19, a 22 and 23 (i think) a 17L (this cat was shooting the same

hole in his target all damn day).

As soon as I got to the gear shop on day 1, I had some XS Big Dots put on my Glock 19

(thank you very much Allen), I figured I didn't hardly have any experience shooting with stock

sights I may as well switch now, and I'm very glad I did. I'll never go back either because my

sight picture is acquired much faster now.

The classroom lectures were really a treat. I have been in school my entire life sans a

few infant years (I'm 22), and I know a good teacher when I see one, and there happened to be

a few at Tactical Response. Jay and Brian kicked us off in class on Halloween morning Oct. 31,

2009. The lectures were brilliant even though I have seen Fighting Pistol DVD more than a

couple times. There's nothing like being in the class yourself, asking questions yourself, and

taking notes and letting the information sink in. There is a LOT of information given, and it

would have been completely foreign to me without the Fighting Pistol DVD. Then again without

the DVD, there would be no class for me. Redundancy is the only way I can see this stuff being

imprinted in your head for quick recall emergency use. Buy the DVD, then take the class. I

simply lucked out on this order of operations. James finished us up in class on Day 2 in class

for 3 hours before range time. I learn more every time I listen to the guy. Redundancy is the

key to learning this stuff, and is the key to memory recall under stress. I got most out of

the mindset lectures.

After class it was off to the range. I have been waiting on a Raven Concealment holster

and mag pouch for about 5 weeks, and of course it didn't come in time for Fighting Pistol, but

that was no problem. I just got my ass to Camden and the rest was really smooth as can be. I

borrowed a Blade Tech OWB. I didn't tell anyone, but that was the first holster I'd ever put

on. When I practiced my draw stroke that I learned from the DVD it was always with an "Air

Holster", and I'm telling on myself now so that you dip****s out there will stop thinking you

have to get to a certain point in your gear knowledge or "get better" before you go to

Tactical Response. I'm not saying show up without half the gear list because you can't afford

it, but I'm also not saying put off the class for a year or two because you need that one last

piece of gear. Build your house on the rock, not the sand.

The instructors really showed their talent for teaching on the range. Safety was put

first; it was well explained in class and translated well to the range. New shooters are going

to do unsafe things myself included. Tim, Jay, and Brian were all on their "A-game" spotting

the screw ups, and they really kept their cool even in the most opportune times to chew the

hell out of somebody. I got excellent feedback from all three of them, in all the drills we

did. You will do things at Tactical Response that are not available at other places. I can't

tell you how privileged I feel to have started at this point rather than have to fix years and

years of screwing up fundamentals of shooting and fighting. A perp is not stuck behind the

rules of a range master when he whips out a gun on you; why should I be constrained in my

training!? Things that I really improved on were grip, sight picture, drawing, and I'd say the

thing I may hold on to the most out of the practical portion of Fighting Pistol is getting off

the damn X. It is MORE important to MOVE than to MAKE SHOTS if there's a choice between the

two because when you stop, you're dead. It makes perfect sense when you analyze it; dead is

bad, alive is good.

Some of my favorite time spent was just hanging out chatting. I stayed in the Team Room,

and it was like home. I can't thank James Yeager enough for letting us stay in his house. I

don't know if I'd be an alumni if that wasn't a part of the training experience. Staying in

the team room is something I look forward to doing again and again... truly a life-changing experience.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you learned something from your training. You have opened a can of worms, though, in all probability. There seems to be some...consternation...over at least one of the training videos I have seen. May I suggest CIS in your area as another school to visit in your area? I have heard some great things about their courses and intend to seek out some training there myself.

As for this thread...

happy.gif

Guest truthsayer

Well, since everyone else is weighing in without having looked the man in the eye..... I'm the gunfighter I am today partially because of Yeager, and I'm thankful for him.

• Administrator
:) and it begins................
LOL, any bets on how long it takes?

Ok... this really needs to stop. I admit that I am not a fan of James Yeager but this forum is a TOPIC ORIENTED forum and these comments are completely off-base and ruin the value of the thread itself.

Let's focus on the fact that the original poster went out and got additional training. That's more than probably 99% of HCP holders in Tennessee do.

PS: I am particularly disturbed that some of the participants in this melee were moderators. Come on, guys. Thread hi-jacking? In a topic oriented forum? NOT cool.

Guest mustangdave

I like the idea of additional "training"...its also on the Christmas list. Good write up...

Edited by mustangdave
Off topic comments removed.
Ok... this really needs to stop. I admit that I am not a fan of James Yeager but this forum is a TOPIC ORIENTED forum and these comments are completely off-base and ruin the value of the thread itself.

Let's focus on the fact that the original poster went out and got additional training. That's more than probably 99% of HCP holders in Tennessee do.

PS: I am particularly disturbed that some of the participants in this melee were moderators. Come on, guys. Thread hi-jacking? In a topic oriented forum? NOT cool.

I disagree. I think they are entirely on base. It is part of Yeager's background history etc. Regardless of what he "teaches" it is/will always be influenced by his professional history which, he basis his teaching on. At least the parts he likes.

That being said glad the OP got what he thinks is good stuff.

Good write up man and Kudos to you for grabbing the bull by the balls and training. I would like to train with you when Israeli Combat Training has the Nashville area session.

Every instructor has something to add, even if you walk away with 1 extra idea or concept or mindset, it was worthwhile.

Now, let me work with you and the other Nashville folks and drill some Israeli counter terror training into your souls.... :-)

Good write up man and Kudos to you for grabbing the bull by the balls and training. I would like to train with you when Israeli Combat Training has the Nashville area session.

Every instructor has something to add, even if you walk away with 1 extra idea or concept or mindset, it was worthwhile.

Now, let me work with you and the other Nashville folks and drill some Israeli counter terror training into your souls.... :-)

Although we would get much more hands on in Memphis (:P) you really need to get something going here in Nashville!

Lots of moving targets in Memphis... :P

As soon as the wife has the baby, I will put a poll together for a good day/date (like a Sunday) in December for a Nashville area Israeli Combat Training session.

Guest iamtwon
I'm interested in what the round count was for this training. I'd also like to know what made the team room such a great part of the course.

The round count was very close to 900 rounds. I haven't counted my left over loose bullets, but I started with 1200 and I have about 300 left, but if you include all the snap caps I hit for malfunction drills it's probably right at 1000 (it seems like I hit 2 every mag):P Shooting on the move and hitting a snap cap will rock your world! I learned a lot from that one.

On to the team room. The room consisted of two bunk rooms, about 12 bunks total or so, and a large living area with lots of sitting room, small kitchen, TV and huge stack of DVD's, and plenty of ways to deter an intruder from stepping more than one foot in the door. The cool factor came simply from the company though. All 3 range instructors were in the team room that night, but only about 6 of 12 trainees were there. Some had shot guns their whole life where as I was asking what kind of rifle I should get (for my first rifle). The instant comraderie was apparent. Everyone there felt the same way that I did about training (which people love to hate realistic range drills for some reason). Training must be recent relevant and realistic. Everyone seemed to have an open mind when comming to Tactical Response including me. I was a sponge soaking up the stories and knowledge available in the team room as well as classroom and range. We never turned on a television and we didn't have time to. It's a big family on the forums too, and I encourage you to track down the Course Review thread on GetoffTheX and see everyone else's pics and AAR's.

Where else do you get to be with your instructors all day, go to lunch, go to dinner, and hang with until you pass out?

Don't hesitate to ask questions about anything! I can't wait to get as much training as I can. I thank everyone for their posts! Thanks for the invitation Ben, I hope we'll get to meet sooner than later.

Edited by iamtwon

question: The "Get off the X" mantra is what I think about when I hear Tactical Response. It is a great way of teaching to move off of the initial line of attack. My question is, do they teach you to ALWAYS get off the 'X', every drill, right at the outset of the "attack"? Also, how do you engage the attacker? while on the move?

Edited by Ben
Guest iamtwon
question: The "Get off the X" mantra is what I think about when I hear Tactical Response. It is a great way of teaching to move off of the initial line of attack. My question is, do they teach you to ALWAYS get off the 'X', every drill?

Not when we shot from cover or concealment, retention positions, from supine, sit-up, kneeling, and standing after getting up.

That being said, just about every other draw-stroke had some sort of sidestep or movement associated with it.

I think...

The world is full of variables. Throw more in for better training. Yes, I need more.

Engaging the attacker on the move was simply watching your front sights and smoothly pressing the trigger, but this was secondary to movement.

Edited by iamtwon
Lots of moving targets in Memphis... :(

As soon as the wife has the baby, I will put a poll together for a good day/date (like a Sunday) in December for a Nashville area Israeli Combat Training session.

Please send me a PM when you have a date for the Nashville Area, I think I will enjoy training with you, I have a crazy job and need as much notice as possible to attend :rofl:

Guest Plainsman

I appreciate the write up as well. Good to hear that you got a lot from the class! I"ve been considering some training also and I"m curious as to why Mr. Yeager gets some of the negative comments. Not encouraging anyone to begin bashing Mr. Yeager---but do wonder why some folks generally don't like his training.

Please send me a PM when you have a date for the Nashville Area, I think I will enjoy training with you, I have a crazy job and need as much notice as possible to attend :lol:

I will give as much lead time as possible. I Look forward to it.

I appreciate the write up as well. Good to hear that you got a lot from the class! I"ve been considering some training also and I"m curious as to why Mr. Yeager gets some of the negative comments. Not encouraging anyone to begin bashing Mr. Yeager---but do wonder why some folks generally don't like his training.

Try googling the man. Form your own opinion.