Combat Hearing Loss?

Smith

Just curious, as I'm not military or LEO, how do our troops not loose their hearing in all those CQC situations and still maintain com? Surely they use some hearing protection, but I can't find any pictures or info on it. Just curious since I remember when i first went shooting on my own and fired off about 300 rnds without protection and my ears rang for days.;)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Actually, most of our troops do have hearing loss from one reason or another. Whether it's from small arms, artillery, explosions, or the equipment/machinery they operate and work around.

Most are issued the flanged type, internal, hearing protection... which can be "doubled up" with the muff-style protection, when required to be around the higher decibel environments.

With my job, around jets and other equipment, I'm issued both. Just depends on your career field. Not sure what the combat operatives are issued/required to wear... if anything. ;)

Hearing loss is supposed to be the most common disability for military personnel and one of the most pervasive problems. Small arms fire, artillery and engine noise are huge problems that the military struggles with all the time.

So, to answer your question, hearing loss is a big problem for combat, and non-combat, personnel in the military.

Hearing loss is supposed to be the most common disability for military personnel and one of the most pervasive problems. Small arms fire, artillery and engine noise are huge problems that the military struggles with all the time.

So, to answer your question, hearing loss is a big problem for combat, and non-combat, personnel in the military.

I have less than 30% hearing in my left ear, and around 80% in my right.

They do not give a disability rating (meaning you wont get paid) for hearing loss ;) Which sucks for me.

Worked in warehouses around forklifts my entire time in the service. I have hearing loss but it isn't enough to even qualify for not getting paid. When I first mentioned it to my Supe, he sent me to the ear doctor to get fitted (yes fitted) for ear plugs. Then I was expected to wear them around the equipment. Guys in the JE Test shop had to wear muffs when the engines were running and guys on the flight line wore them just about all the time.

It sucks, but that is what our troops do.

Guest bkelm18

I worked in the engine room on an aircraft carrier and had some moderate hearing loss. Nothing terrible, just I don't catch everything like I used to.

5" guns. Sometimes I might not notice you talking to me unless you get my attention first. Get the occasional tinnitus ringing too. Not really enough to bother me though.

why can't they issue or make something like the Zems for our troops. I use them all the time and they work great. I can hear regular conversation and they still buffer dangerous noise. http://www.sensgard.com/web/2005/10/products.aspx

Sure. that makes sense for guys that sit in the motor pool, or hang out in a warehouse, but those dont make sense for combat troops.

Guest Mugster

I have nearly constant tinnitus, but I can still hear relatively ok. Occasionally it bothers me when things get real quiet but there's no pain with this type of hearing loss. You don't notice it with backgroud noise, like a tv.

Guest Ghostrider

Huh?????

Seriously, about everyone who has spent much time on Active Duty has some degree of loss (as others have said). It's a real problem for us in the medical corps. who also have to hear such mundane things as breath and heart sounds, fetal heart tones and other such things.

No, the military pretty much laughed at me when I put hearing loss on my retirement disability claim. The doc even said "huh?" and laughed...

I've got pretty poor hearing in my right ear, but my left isn't so bad. My tinnitus is pretty much gone but bothered me a lot when I was actually losing my hearing. I guess I lost the part that bothered me... :D

I have less than 30% hearing in my left ear, and around 80% in my right.

They do not give a disability rating (meaning you wont get paid) for hearing loss :D Which sucks for me.

Tell me about it. I have a 60% loss in my left ear around 30 or 40 in my right.

Its normal to talk to someone and have the ringing begin from time to time.

you have to try the cellphones with the loudspeakers on them so you can hear with both ears..all sorts of things change.

as for hearing protection...some of the guys I used to know, prized those earplugs they gave to the cannon cockers..the ones that closed when the guns went off..and then opened up after the concussive blast subsided.

I never could get a pair. thats why I'm a bit deef, I guess.:)

• Administrator

Guys, I know that none of you did it for thanks... but this is just one more example of why we civilians who have never served owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to those of you who have.

So many folks think that if a solider comes home alive, in one piece, that he or she hasn't suffered a loss. Not many stop to realize that there are so many other unseen losses that go unnoticed and unappreciated. Loss of time with your families, loss of health, loss of brothers in arms, loss of innocence... loss of hearing.

You guys rock. Seriously. :D

I have Tinnitus and a 40% loss in the left and a 30% loss in the right.I went to the VA and turned it in for disability.You get a mandatory 10% for tinnitus and that is it.I did get service connected for my hearing loss,but at 0% disability.Now that means I get no money for it BUT get hearing aids and any other service free of charge.I have hearing aids in both ears and you can barley see them,and they are great.Sucks though at 30 years old I have to wear a hearing device ,but I wouldn't trade my time in the service for anything.