Considering .357 Sig for my next handgun.

K191145

I've never fired a .357 Sig round but my two main carry calibers over the years have been .45ACP or .357Mag. From what I've read the .357 Sig has about the same ballistics and bullet weights of a .357 Mag. but not being familiar with it or the handguns that chamber the round, I would like opinions on it.

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere but I was too lazy to search. Anyway, I'm thinking of a semi-sorta-compact 9mm size handgun with .357 Mag power. Before I plunk down the cash I guess the logical thing to do is fire one. How is the recoil and accuracy of the round?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my experience, recoil is the same or maybe just a touch under .45acp.

accuracy is very good in my experience, on par with the other service calibers.

glock, XD, M&P, SIG, H&K all make guns chambered in this.

.357sig is basically a 9mm magnum. it is a highly penetrable bullet.

nightrunner is right on track with his comments I believe. I have an xd 4'' in 357sig and pretty much agree. But I'd say the felt recoil is different from a 45 auto and closer to that of a 357 round in a snubbie revolver. Not excessive, but harsh. The noise level is on a par with that of the revolver round as well. In close stalls at the range muzzle blast is very noticible. I found the gun and round to be quite accurate but has a noticible muzzle flash and would imagine night shots would certainly affect night vision.

I like the round but not sure about as a carry-- lots of velocity but worry about overpenetration from some things I've read.

The preceding comments are the opinion(only) of a guy whose guns regularly prove they are better than the man on the trigger.:confused:

I have a Sig P239 and it is a bit small for the round. Fire comes out of the end of the barrel about 5 inches when you shoot it and will night blind you in a tactical situation. Very high velocity and accurate. If you can take the boom, it's a good gun.

I have a 229 in .357. I don't think it is excessive for the gun. I carry it with Gold Dots, and they don't have any more muzzle flash than a .45 or .40. I find the recoil in both a Glock 32 and the 239 to be better than a .40 recoil. It is the difference in being slapped in the hand (.357) and being punched (.40). The recoil out of the .357 sig is harsh, but more not any less manageable than a .40. I think it is a whole lot less than that of a .45. The 229 handles the round better than the polymer frame on the Glock 32. The Glock 32 is a little easier to conceal than the 229.

Both the 32 and the 229 have drop in barrels that convert them to a .40. The magazines are compatible with both rounds. In a Glock the conversion barrel runs around $98, and a little more in a 229. I think S&W makes a M&P .357sig that is probably comparable to the Glock. H&K makes one in the USP series, but I am not a fan of those, personal preference. FN makes the FNP in a .357 sig that comes with 3 hi cap mags. It is a nice option for a polymer frame.

I love the ballistics of the .357 sig. Gold Dots are around 1450 fps and 1525 with Doubletap ammo. Buffalo Bore has a low flash round that is 1425 fps.

Hk USPc in .357 sig...

Ditto on muzzle flash and being loud. From what I have read penetrates excellent through normal car doors and windshields. (One reason HWY patrols went with them.) The penetration in ballistic gell seem to mimic the .357 magnum, so with that said I don't see it being much different in risk for over penetration. (That's just my opinion though.)

Mine I feel is very controllable, my wife qualified with it for her HCP and scored 100. I got a chance to shoot a baby glock in .357 sig... I had read in gun mags how punishing the recoil was and hard to control it is. I didn't have that experience though. It was fine.

On recoil, I would rather shoot my Hk than a S&W snub nose in .357 mag.

It's pretty well documented that it shoots incredibly flat, as well as round to round the ballistics are amazingly consistent. Speer noted that it was the most consistent of any handgun caliber they had ever tested. Due to the bottle neck design it was supposed.

The main drawback I have is mainly the cost of ammo. FMJ at walmart run me $23 bucks... consider .40sw at $18 and .45 acp pretty much at $23 as well. If you order in bulk (Think 500rd, or 1000rd cases.) you can bring the unit cost down to around $15 for 50rds.

A second barrel for my HK is going to run me $200 bucks and I am seriously looking into it at this time.

There is also the well documented case (I have mentioned here before) of the effects the round has on the ladies. :tough:

Definitely try and shoot one. I like them very much. But that is just me.

Guest JHatmaker

Love the round, one of my favorites. Can't really add much else than what's already been said. The recoil is sharp compared to .40 and .45, versus the smoothness (per se) of those.

.357 sig p2000sk in HK is my daily carry. It did come with the SW .40 barrel. I think the recoil is less than the .40 and very accurate even in the compact next to the 5.7 it is buy far my favorite to shoot

Guest rystine

It's true that .357 sig is a little pricey, but I would disagree with saying that it's tough to find ammo. Thats actually been about the only type of ammo that seems to be consistantly available anymore, at least at Wally world. 9mm, .40, and .45 can be hit or miss, but I always see a couple boxes of .357 sig on the shelves.

I think because not alot of people own pistols chambered in it, if and when there is another ammo shortage you'll actually be able to find ammo for it for awhile longer than the "standard" rounds.

To the OP, I have a buddy who's got a Glock 32c. It's alot of fun to shoot, and I didn't notice the recoil being any worse than with my xd40. The best advice is to find a place that'll rent one (a pistol in .357 sig) and throw some lead downrange to see if the recoil and flash is too much for you.

Thanks for the information. What I want is a carry gun with stopping power, I know shot placement is important but I want the extra "umph" also. I like my G-21 but carrying it all the time is like toting a brick around so I want a smaller carry package, not a sub-compact but between that and a full size auto. I would like at least a 10 round capacity magizine, and of course relaibility is most important. It will be about 2 months before I go window shopping but I'm thinking about the XD's.

For your requirements just compare the .40 S&W and the .357 Sig.

Keep in mind the following.

Velocity doesn’t mean much without applying surface area and mass.

Ideally a round will expel its energy in the body, not pass through the body.

Ever thought about buying the Glock 27 in .40S&W and geting a conversion barrel? The mags are the same for .357Sig and .40S&W just change the barrel. You can also get a 9mm conversion barrel but you have to use 9mm mags for it to function properly. Basically 3 guns in 1. hard to beat that kind of versatility.

The drop in barrels for the Glock are economically just a hair over $100.00 per, much cheaper than in other firearms.

Edited by tntnixon
Ever thought about buying the Glock 27 in .40S&W and geting a conversion barrel? The mags are the same for .357Sig and .40S&W just change the barrel. You can also get a 9mm conversion barrel but you have to use 9mm mags for it to function properly. Basically 3 guns in 1. hard to beat that kind of versatility.

The drop in barrels for the Glock are economically just a hair over $100.00 per, much cheaper than in other firearms.

The Glocks definatly have one good thing I like about them, reliability, which is priority #1 with me. Then accuracy and capacity. I guess I should check out some other models, my G21SF has that large grip for my hands. I've gotten used to it but a smaller grip would be better.

The fact that there's .357 Sig's that can be converted to .40 or .9 is also a nice +, I would probably get the 9mm conversion.

For your requirements just compare the .40 S&W and the .357 Sig.

Keep in mind the following.

Velocity doesn’t mean much without applying surface area and mass.

Ideally a round will expel its energy in the body, not pass through the body.

I guess I'm looking for that "perfect" handgun/cartridge combo that will never miss and has 100% one shot stopping power. I know that doesn't exist but i'll try to at least get the best out there. I feel confident in .45 but the handguns that fire it are always bulky and I want a little more power than the standard 9mm round. I'm stuck in the old 1990's attitude of either .357mag or .45acp, that comes from reading too many articals from gun writers in magizines.

The Glocks definatly have one good thing I like about them, reliability, which is priority #1 with me. Then accuracy and capacity. I guess I should check out some other models, my G21SF has that large grip for my hands. I've gotten used to it but a smaller grip would be better.

The fact that there's .357 Sig's that can be converted to .40 or .9 is also a nice +, I would probably get the 9mm conversion.

I've also never seen anyone complain of reliability problems with the conversions except those who've tried to use the wrong magazines for the caliber.

The original magazine will not work with 9mm!!!!

I guess I'm looking for that "perfect" handgun/cartridge combo that will never miss and has 100% one shot stopping power. I know that doesn't exist but i'll try to at least get the best out there. I feel confident in .45 but the handguns that fire it are always bulky and I want a little more power than the standard 9mm round. I'm stuck in the old 1990's attitude of either .357mag or .45acp, that comes from reading too many articals from gun writers in magizines.

Yes, the .45acp and the .357mag are the top defensive rounds. But everything is application driven and neither of those will work for your application. This game has already been played by shooters and Police Departments all over the country. The results will be no different for you…. 40S&W. :poop:

i personally dont like .40S&W, most likely because its a shortened version of the 10mmauto, .40S&W(short&weak).

however it may be the best for you, that or .357sig. sounds like a subcompact glock or XD would be best for you.

btw, as far as ammo prices go .357sig is usually within a few cents of what .45acp is

Well it's going to be a few months anyway unless I make a trade in, then I'm always mad later I traded that particular gun so this time I'll just save the cash and be patient. I tend not to be a patent person when buying guns. :up: I'll find and shoot a handgun in .357 Sig before then.

I've never fired a .357 Sig round but my two main carry calibers over the years have been .45ACP or .357Mag. .... I would like opinions on it.

,,,How is the recoil and accuracy of the round?

K:_________

Ditto to what has already been said. 357sig is a great round. I EDC a glock 33. Recoil is sharp but wont be a problem if you are used to the 45 or 357 mag. Muzzle blast is loud.

My handloads clock an honest 1275 FPS out of it's short barrel with 125 grain berry plated flatnoses. The little glock displays excellent accuracy and you can carry it in your hip pocket in a Allen Miller kydex holster without any problem. It is a great weapon.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

LEROY

I used to carry .357sig exclusively... it is a very accurate cartridge, and for the power it delivers, it is very controllable. The reason I moved back to 9mm is for more economical range sessions, intention to buy a pistol suppressor (which would be almost pointless on a .357sig), and besides, with a full load of Double-Tap 147gr +p cartridges there is no lack of penetration, and I have a bit extra capacity in the magazine.

.357sig is noticably louder and snappier than 9mm... but not at all close to being difficult to shoot, even in compact semi-autos.