GM must be doing better....

DaveTN

I went car shopping this weekend. I need to replace my 2nd car that I drive back and forth to work. I drive 50 miles a day and thought I would look at something new. I was looking at either a Colorado or an Equinox.

I found one Colorado and one Canyon that I was interested in, but I wanted to see an Equinox before I made my mind up. There was not one Equinox in Murfreesboro. My dealer from Franklin called and said if I wanted to see one he had three Equinox’s but they were not the 6 cylinder I wanted. I drove over and looked at them. They are pretty impressive for the money.

But at the end of the day; there were no incentives to buy. No substantial discounts and no 0% financing. The Equinox’s are selling as soon as they hit the lot, so no need to deal there. The trucks don’t have 0% on the 2010’s and they won’t discount the $4600 that 0% represents.

My last 5 vehicles have been new GM’s purchased at 0% and a discount. That’s just been a given.

One dealer ask me if I have a vehicle other than a GM. I told him no, all my vehicle are GM. He told me that he could give me another $1000 off if I was switching from a competitor. I said, I own a Harley. He said, I like your thinking; but that won’t work. WTF?? I don’t get that because I’m a loyal customer?

I’m trying to buy a car from an American company and they won’t deal; things must be better. :koolaid:

Oh well, my other car is still running so I guess I’ll wait until after the Christmas rush and the incentives go back on.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that the "Credit" divisions of car manufacturers are completely different entities than the manufacturer, and that the credit company actually makes more than the manufacturer.

Don't know it as fact, but I'd be willing to bet that the mfg got the bailouts and not the credit co.

I have heard that the "Credit" divisions of car manufacturers are completely different entities than the manufacturer, and that the credit company actually makes more than the manufacturer.

Don't know it as fact, but I'd be willing to bet that the mfg got the bailouts and not the credit co.

Sure, but there is really no 0% financing; it is just a discount. They don’t want to discount the price the 4 or 5 grand that the 0% would save you. Give me the discount instead of paying it to GMAC and I’ll get my own financing. :koolaid:

My last 5 vehicles have been new GM’s purchased at 0% and a discount. That’s just been a given.

There's your first problem. New cars are a chump's bet. A good 2-3 year old used car is the best deal out there.

One dealer ask me if I have a vehicle other than a GM. I told him no, all my vehicle are GM. He told me that he could give me another $1000 off if I was switching from a competitor. I said, I own a Harley. He said, I like your thinking; but that won’t work. WTF?? I don’t get that because I’m a loyal customer?
That's how it is everywhere now. Think cell phones. I can get a huge discount from Verizon if I switch to them from Sprint (and vice versa), but neither will give me anywhere near that kind of discount for remaining.
I’m trying to buy a car from an American company and they won’t deal; things must be better. :koolaid:
My current car is a GM, but I think my next car might be made in the same county with me. Hello Nissan.
Guest malbolja

Equinox is a hot seller. Last I heard they were down to a 10 day supply. It's built in Canada at a "joint venture" Suzuki facility. The V6 is made in China, BTW.

It's built in Canada at a "joint venture" Suzuki facility. The V6 is made in China, BTW.

I looked it up and that is correct… thanks. The 6 cyl Equinox is out.

I have nothing against Ford. It appears that the Escape would be in the competitor to the Equinox, but it appears to be smaller and not get as good gas milage??

Any of you Ford guys know where the Rangers or Escape’s are built?

I looked it up and that is correct… thanks. The 6 cyl Equinox is out.

I have nothing against Ford. It appears that the Escape would be in the competitor to the Equinox, but it appears to be smaller and not get as good gas milage??

Where they are built? What is the percentage of domestic parts content? What percentage of profits stay in the US? Just a few things to consider when attempting to buy an "American Made" vehicle.

When some "domestic" (example: Mustange and Subrban) automakers have a much smaller percentage of domestic parts content than some "foreign" automakers, it's not always an easy decision. The fact that the US automakers are closing plants and cutting jobs in the US while foreign automakers are building plants and hiring American workers doesn't help either.

I believe that the Ranger is assembled in St. Paul, Michigan, and the Escape is assembled in Kansas City, Missouri. That's what I found doing a quick Google search, so it could be outdated. I didn't see a date on it.

That's just assembly, though. Expect it to have a lot of parts imported from Mexico and China, if not a few other countries also. If you want to get back to a real 'all American' Ford, you'll have to look back at least to the 60's, maybe the early 70's.

Honestly, if you want a vehicle that's produced here, I'd look at Nissan or Toyota. I know Nissan has a couple of large plants here in Tennessee, and their North American headquarters is in Cool Springs. Toyota has an engine block plant outside of Jackson. They also have lots of supporting vendors here that produce and warehouse parts for them also.

Guest louderthebetter

Last new Ford pick up I bought I had a choice of large discount and Ford holding the paper or no discount and 0% intrest.

I took the discount and Ford motor Credit. When the payment book came in the mail I took it to my credit union, had them pay it off,re-financed the loan and saved a ton on intrest.That way,I got discount and payed half the intrest Ford was charging me and yes, I did check to make sure Ford couldn't ding me for early payoff.

I respect you guys for your convictions,and all,but I just don't get it personally.

I mean,I don't pick up snacks at the gas station based on the politics of Double Bubble. :\

And besides,if you buy that car used,you're not hurting GM any more then buying a used Honda...

Edited by strickj
I respect you guys for your convictions,and all,but I just don't get it personally.

I mean,I don't pick up snacks at the gas station based on the politics of Double Bubble. :\

And besides,if you buy that car used,you're not hurting GM any more then buying a used Honda...

If no one bought used GM vehicles, no one would buy GM parts for the used GM vehicles.