HCP Questions

So as many of you have probably read, I am currently in the market to get my first gun. I plan to take a safety course and eventually get my HCP. I am just wondering....If I buy this gun, but don't plan on carrying it at the moment....is there anything that I have to do aside from the paperwork at wherever I buy the gun(background check, display TN liscense, etc)?

Also, Just wanting to make sure i'm understanding what i've read correctly.....to possess a HCP you have to take a HCP class at a qualified location. Then once that is done, you take your certification from that place to the County Clerks Office(along with Drivers Liscense, birth certificate, and $115 bucks).

That sound about right?

Also, Would there be anything else I may need to know about owning a gun, as far as laws are required?(outside of carry laws)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats pretty close

You have to go to the Drivers License office (DMV) to pay with the documents you listed after that you need to get fingerprinted then its just a waiting period

There is a 10 minute background check done when you buy the gun and thats it

Good Luck with you purchase and post pics when you buy it

I can only speak to the first two points, but you seem to be right on with those. I bought my first handgun from Academy Sports in Cool Springs (Franklin, TN) about 3 months ago. All I had to do was show the license, fill out their paperwork and go to the front to pay for the background check. In my HCP class the instructor said there's no registry in the state of TN, so nothing to do there.

My wife and I took our DL, the HCP class cert and our money to the DMV. We had to fill out a form that's only available there (can't download it online). Got fingerprinted at Guns and Leather and have been waiting since.

Not sure about other laws...

Thanks alot guys, I have read the FAQ's and other threads, just wanting to make sure I understood everything correctly, and wasn't missing anything.

I've never owned a gun, and none of my immediate family really knows much about them either, so just wanting to make sure when I do get one, I'm "in the right".

At your age you can walk into any gun shop and buy a gun if you can pass the background check at that time. If you are clean it comes back very quickly, five minutes or so.

Or you can buy a gun from an individual in TN.

Take your HCP class and what you mention to the Drivers License office. They'll take your picture and set up the paperwork for your finger prints.

You do not need to own a gun to take the class at many places as they will provide the gun, you supply the ammunition.

Keep your gun secure and separate from the ammunition when transporting it.

Might want to postpone buying the gun until you decide what you may want to carry.

JMO,

oldogy

Edited by oldogy
Might want to postpone buying the gun until you decide what you may want to carry.

Yeah, Whatever I end up getting, I am planning on taking into consideration about being able to carry the gun. Right now, I'm leaning towards a Kahr CW9, so that should be easily carried I would think. Either it, or possibly a M&P9c.

Thanks

I applaud your plan to take a basic safety course prior to taking the HCP class. I saw several persons in my class that had never fired a weapon. The instructor had to show them how to load and fire it. IMO time in HCP classes should be spent on instruction pertaining to carry in the state of TN and firing line qualification not basic instruction.

I concur with Oldogy about postponing purchasing. I would advise going to a firing range that has a good selection of rental units. I know Coal Creek Armory does and most likely so does Gunny's. Both of these are withing driving distance of Tazewell. I am intrested in a 9mm that is smaller than my Glock. On paper I have also chosen a CW9. Last time I looked Coal Creek has one to rent.

I know Coal Creek Armory does ....... Both of these are withing driving distance of Tazewell. On paper I have also chosen a CW9. Last time I looked Coal Creek has one to rent.

That's where i'm going tonight, Hoping to try out the CW9, possibly a glock(although not really fond of the feel of them), they don't list one on their site, but i'd like to try the M&Pc too, and maybe a XDc if they have one. :screwy:

Buy firearm, must pay the $10 background check fee, get firearm. Go to authorized HCP class, get certification paperwork, go to DMV and pay $115, fill out paperwork, go to finger print location (included in $115) wait on HCP if everything goes right and no hits on background checks.

Always follow safety rules and get to know your firearm, practice as much as possible.

Guest Muttling

You're off to an excellent start!!!!! Getting educated about how to do it safely and legally is critical.

I concur with waiting to purchase. My suggestion is to spend a little range time using rented range weapons or weapons borrowed from a friend. Try out revolvers, SA/DA automatics, and single action automatics. Definitely shoot a variety of weapons to get an idea of how each handle before deciding what you like.

On a final note, EDUCATE yourself about when you are allowed to draw your weapon, to brandish your weapon, and to shot in self defense. There's a lot of posts on here discussing this topic and some great discussions. Read up and ask questions. Folks here love to debate the laws from a well informed perspective and you can get some terrific insight by asking more questions.

You're off to an excellent start!!!!! Getting educated about how to do it safely and legally is critical.

I concur with waiting to purchase. My suggestion is to spend a little range time using rented range weapons or weapons borrowed from a friend. Try out revolvers, SA/DA automatics, and single action automatics. Definitely shoot a variety of weapons to get an idea of how each handle before deciding what you like.

On a final note, EDUCATE yourself about when you are allowed to draw your weapon, to brandish your weapon, and to shot in self defense. There's a lot of posts on here discussing this topic and some great discussions. Read up and ask questions. Folks here love to debate the laws from a well informed perspective and you can get some terrific insight by asking more questions.

+1 here. You can't have too much education when it comes to this stuff. If you haven't shot much, it's even better. You will have fewer bad habits to unlearn.

Hey guys, Thanks for all the great help!

I just got back from my first "range trip" at CCA. I shot a Kahr cw9 and also tried that Taurus 709...they didn't really have anything else I would be interested in. Both shot great, although I did have to get used to letting the slide loose to load the first round(can't do "easy-does-it"). Then I had two rounds not fire while shooting the cw9(two right in a row...not sure what the deal with that was), and the Taurus did fine, but I think it was more that I was kinda getting used to shooting. I liked both, but will need more practice definetly, although towards the last half of those 50rounds, I was starting to get quite abit more accurate(gonna get pics of my targets). But definetly had a great time, and can't wait to try out a few more guns and get more used to shooting and comfortable with what i'm doing.

...Then I had two rounds not fire while shooting the cw9(two right in a row...not sure what the deal with that was),...

Kahrs really like to be clean and lubed, they run best a little "wet". Who knows how often they get cleaned there. Really different from a more "service" built gun, like Glock/XD/et al, which will generally run wet, dry, dirty, muddy, whatever.

Which is not to deter you from a Kahr; it's a great carry option as long as you give it some regular care. (I own a PM9 myself).

- OS

Kahrs really like to be clean and lubed, they run best a little "wet". Who knows how often they get cleaned there. Really different from a more "service" built gun, like Glock/XD/et al, which will generally run wet, dry, dirty, muddy, whatever.

Which is not to deter you from a Kahr; it's a great carry option as long as you give it some regular care. (I own a PM9 myself).

- OS

You could see on the bullet where the striker(I think thats the right word?) had struck the primer, but for some reason those two just didn't fire. After and before that, it did fine. But I figured the lack of cleaning, and probably alot of use had something to do with it.

I think I have pretty well narrowed it down to either the Kahr, or possibly a M&Pc if I can find a good enough deal on one. Hoping to get to fire a M&Pc sometime soon to try it out. They had a fullsize M&P at CCA, but no compact in the rentals.

PS. I also shot my mom's S&W .38(not sure on the model...small frame, "airweight").....I didn't like it much, felt like it tried to "roll" up my hand from the recoil....didn't really feel comfortable with it.

Edited by Bubbatn
You could see on the bullet where the striker(I think thats the right word?) had struck the primer, but for some reason those two just didn't fire. After and before that, it did fine. But I figured the lack of cleaning, and probably alot of use had something to do with it.

I think I have pretty well narrowed it down to either the Kahr, or possibly a M&Pc if I can find a good enough deal on one. Hoping to get to fire a M&Pc sometime soon to try it out. They had a fullsize M&P at CCA, but no compact in the rentals.

I would probably go with the M&P. The Kahrs are good weapons but a little finicky. They're also a bitch to field strip and clean. They seemed to have "over engineered" their firearms. The M&P is a simple design, and the simpler, generally speaking, the more reliable (fewer things to go wrong).

You could see on the bullet where the striker(I think thats the right word?) had struck the primer, but for some reason those two just didn't fire.

It could be that the ammo in question had hard primers. That's one reason you fire as much of your carry ammo as you can afford when testing it. Different guns like different ammo. You want something that's as reliable as possible in your specific gun. It could also just mean that it needed cleaning.

PS. I also shot my mom's S&W .38(not sure on the model...small frame, "airweight").....I didn't like it much, felt like it tried to "roll" up my hand from the recoil....didn't really feel comfortable with it.

Airweight J-frames are very difficult to shoot well. I own one myself and my Kahr PM9 is MUCH easier to shoot well than my S&W 638. I recently acquired a S&W 649 (same gun, stainless steel and will chamber .357 magnum as well) and I'm hoping it's a bit easier to handle.

I also wanted to say there was some guy there in the range last night, and if it hadn't been for him, I would've been really lost. I had a few issues to start out with(gun wanting to foul up because I was "easing" the slide closed, and it was jamming up not letting it slide forward completely), and I just asked and he was nice enough to help me with that. Also asked him about the two rounds that didn't fire either, and he helped me with that too. It may have even been someone on this site...not for sure. But sure was nice to have someone there that was nice enough to help me out, since didn't have a clue as to what to do with issues like that....lol.

The ammo they gave me was the cheapo WWB, so I suppose that may have been the issue? Although it was just kinda odd that it happened simultaneously.

The Kahrs are good weapons but a little finicky. They're also a bitch to field strip and clean.

I will grant that I only have one example to go on, my PM9, but this hasn't been my experience. They're not as easy to field strip as some guns, but I followed the instructions, watched someone else field strip one on Youtube, and then did it myself.

As for finicky, mine has failed to chamber a round twice in several hundred rounds. In both cases the cause was the same: I hadn't seated the magazine firmly enough when reloading. That's not the gun, that's me.

So before I get my HCP, Is when I have to keep the bullets/gun seperated completely, but when I get my HCP...it isn't a concern?

Correct. I think the point we are discussing was meant as on your way to take the HCP course (because you don't yet have a permit) seperate your handgun and ammunition.

However, even with your HCP, understand that there are numerous places you can't (legally) carry a gun.

Correct. I think the point we are discussing was meant as on your way to take the HCP course (because you don't yet have a permit) seperate your handgun and ammunition.

However, even with your HCP, understand that there are numerous places you can't (legally) carry a gun.

Yup, I do know that...and i'll have to do some researching on that when the time comes.

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Guest Muttling
So before I get my HCP, Is when I have to keep the bullets/gun seperated completely, but when I get my HCP...it isn't a concern?

Just to add a little....

Once you have your HCP, you can have handguns fully loaded or in any configuration where you are allowed to carry.

An HCP also gives you the right to carry long guns (shotguns and rifles) side by side with ammo or with ammo in the magazine. You are not allowed to have a long gun in your car with a round in the chamber.

Tennessee laws have many twists to them and chatting about them on this site will help you to learn the do's n don'ts.