Kel Tec P11 or Bersa Compact 9mm???

Guest tlondon

Guest tlondon

Hey all, After Christmas I am replacing a gun I sold to a friend and have narrowed my choices down to two guns. The KelTec P11 and Bersa's compact 9mm. I can get both for right at $300 out the door. This weapon will split carry time with a taurus 85. What is some of your thoughts on these two weapons?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak on the Bersa, but I've shot the P11. I thought the trigger was horrendous. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and I'm no stranger to DAO pistols. I also thought it was unsuitable for pocket carry, and if you're going to holster, why not get something easier to shoot.

If you are looking for something economical, but is head and shoulders above either of your two choices try the CZ P07. several places are running specials on them for around $300. It's Glock 19 size, holds 16+1, and can be either DA or SA.

I've had the P11 and I can say it is not the best for you intentions. If you go with a Kel-Tec goo with the PF9. It si better than the P11 in every way.

I carry a P-11 everyday ,and it does have a DAO trigger but is no worse than any DAO revolver . My P-11 has been dead on reliable and is very easy to carry. The UC-9 is a little bigger and does have safeties and decockers, but is also a good carry gun.

Here's a quick rundown of the pistols mentioned in this thread. It's not the prettiest as I did a quick cut & paste for the raw #'s at the bottom, and didn't clean it up as much as I could.

Size: The Kel Tecs (PF9, then P11) are the smallest of the bunch, then the Bersa, with the CZ being the largest.

Trigger: Not having fired them, but based on reviews and such, I'd have to rank them as :CZ, Bersa, PF9, P11.

Price: The Kel Tecs will come in cheapest most places, followed by the Bersa, with CZ being the most expensive, and deservedly so.

Quality: Overall, CZ would win, hands down. I've rarely heard anything bad said about Bersa pistols. By all accounts, Kel Tec products are a crap shoot. If you get a good one you're golden. If not, be prepared to ship it back and forth to Kel Tec and take advantage of their (reportedly quite good) warranty service.

If I were looking for a pocket pistol I'd get the PF9 or the P11. If I were going for IWB, I'd get the Bersa, or the CZ if I had the cash. Ideally you should see if you can arrange to fire a P11 and a Bersa.

Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact

Caliber: .................. 9MM

Operation: ................ Semi-Automatic

Action: ................... Double Action

Overall Length: ........... 6.5â€

Height: ................... 4.5â€

Width: .................... 1.4â€

Barrel Length: ............ 3.5â€

Weight: ................... 23 oz.

Kel Tec P11

Calibers: 9 x 19 mm Luger

Weight unloaded: 14 oz. 400g

Loaded magazine: 6 oz.

Length: 5.6"

Height: 4.3"

Width: 1"

Barrel Length: 3.1"

Sight radius: 4.6"

Capacity: 10 + 1

Trigger Pull: 9 lbs 40N

Kel Tec PF9

Calibers: 9mm Luger

Weight unloaded: 12.7 oz.

Loaded magazine: 2.8 oz.

Length: 5.85"

Height: 4.3"

Width: .88"

Barrel Length: 3.1"

Capacity: 7 + 1

CZ P01

Ammunition 9 mm LUGER

Magazine Capacity 14

Dimensions

Weight 1.8 lbs

Overall Length 7.2 in

Barrel Length 3.9 in

Height 5.0 in

Width 1.4 in

I carry a P-11 everyday ,and it does have a DAO trigger but is no worse than any DAO revolver . My P-11 has been dead on reliable and is very easy to carry. The UC-9 is a little bigger and does have safeties and decockers, but is also a good carry gun.

The specimen I shot was the rental P11 at Guns and Leather so maybe it wasn't the best P11 around. However I am at ease shooting DA GP100, SW 38+p Airweight, CZs, LCP etc. The P11 had a very long and extremely heavy pull with the break coming all the way at the end. It was really lacking in smoothness and consistency.

Recoil is pretty nasty too. Didn't want to shoot more than one mag.

Hey all, After Christmas I am replacing a gun I sold to a friend and have narrowed my choices down to two guns. The KelTec P11 and Bersa's compact 9mm. I can get both for right at $300 out the door. This weapon will split carry time with a taurus 85. What is some of your thoughts on these two weapons?

I definitely would go to a range that had one and try it out. If I hadn't done this, and just taken someone's advice, I would have a gun that I wasn't happy with.(:death:)

I like the kel tecs i have a PF9 and 3PAT. They're snappy little things to shoot. If you're not a tinkerer i can't recomend them. The Bersa will probably be better out of the box and feel better. the kel tecs are a little hit and miss but if you do have a problem i've heard their customer service is great but i have not needed it.

DSCN2064.jpg

i trust my glock i play with the kel tecs.

Guest tlondon

thanks so far for all the input. My plan is to be able to fondle.....er handle both and if possible shot both before I buy one. I am not in a big rush as I have a carry weapon and several others if needed. Does anybody live in the Clarksville area who owns either or both and would let me shoot theirs??? :rant:

I have a P11, so does my wife. Hard trigger-pull, ....thats the safety, just like a snubby, over 14 houndred rds. never a failure, not a range gun, use it for bug when carring my G 19, but that isn't often, carry my 1911 an 442 most of the time. Just like cars everyone has different tastes.:)

I can speak to Kel-Tec's service....

I have a PF9 I picked up used that quickly developed an issue with the ejector pin walking out and locking the hammer. I payed for overnight shipping to them and about 3 weeks later I got it back with a new frame, grip, internal parts and polished feed ramp. The only cost for me was the overnight shipping there.

I think that is excellent service, especially considering it was used.

Guest MERRILL

Sigmtnman, I too had ejector problems. The ejector broke. I personally do not like the PF9. Mine has been repaired and works fine now and is for sale or trade for Buckmark .22.

Guest TnRebel

with a little " Fluff n Buff ' the Kel-Tec is a great Lil CC gun and if you have the trigger spring replaced from the Factory to a 4 lB. instead of the 8 it works just like a glock or Sig. I carried one for about three years and let my brother talk be out of it , I have the Bersa now and its a fine lil 9mm. just the finish is touchy you have to be careful of Hoppe's #9. it with take it off. That is the Duo-Tone finish.

Ok - MHO - Bersa 9 - this is the most reliable of the Bersa, including their 380's. it is reliable and has VERY LITTLE recoil. (I could fire it as quick as I could pull the trigger and be on target.) It is ambidextrous out of the box - It has a Safety/Decocker, It has a Round in Chamber Indicator, It has a Life Time Warranty, it comes with two magazines, and has a Safety Key (good for when you have to leave it at home, and you have kids - makes it a paperweight) It is EASY to strip and clean. Trigger is Dual Action, first pull and Single Action for the rest of the magazine. Picatinny Rail if you want to hang something off its nose. Very Comfortable and natural to grip and hold. Very Accurate. 13+1 rounds... Argentine made...

The negatives of a Bersa? The finish sucks. So go Matte. The double stack magazine makes it much thinker - but gives you 13+1...

Kel-Tec - trigger is gritty - not as accurate. Not as comfortable to hold and handle. Small size is a boon - light weight easier to conceal. Picatinny Rail. Adjustable rear sight. 7+1 rounds. US made...a big plus in my book.

Bersa website: http://www.bersa.com.ar/thunder9ulpro_en.htm

Kel-Tec website: Kel Tec

The Kel-Tec is a recent model - but based on older Kel Tec, so its reliability should be similar to the P-11 model.

As I said in my newbie post, I have the p11. Carry it everyday. I don't have a problem with the trigger. It is 8lb (same as a good revolver) and at 10 yards can keep it in 3 inches. Even shot a groundhog at 18 yards. Probably luck but it hit where I aimed.