Starting to plan my bench

Well, St Nick is only a few days away so I have to get serious about planning the bench my 550b is going on. For now I'm planning on building a 2x4 frame with a 3/4 plywood top and a back to hold some small shelves to stack various pieces parts on.

I'd hoped to store powder and primers on there but after thinking it out a bit I guess I need to build a small locking cabinet to keep them safe. No little ones around, just want to be prudent.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the ideal height. I bought the metal stand to mount the press on and I think that adds 8" or so to the mix.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davidz71
Well, St Nick is only a few days away so I have to get serious about planning the bench my 550b is going on. For now I'm planning on building a 2x4 frame with a 3/4 plywood top and a back to hold some small shelves to stack various pieces parts on.

I'd hoped to store powder and primers on there but after thinking it out a bit I guess I need to build a small locking cabinet to keep them safe. No little ones around, just want to be prudent.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the ideal height. I bought the metal stand to mount the press on and I think that adds 8" or so to the mix.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

I used three 2X10 boards mounted on top of a 2X4 frame. A good quality plywood top a little more than 1/2" thick (void of knot holes) was glued/anchored with screws on top of the 2X10 boards. Legs were 4X4's

placed on the inside of the 2X4 frame. I cross braced the back legs with 2X4's relieving both pieces where they crossed each other. Same for the side legs. I had 3 presses mounted to that table. That table was used in our fourth bedroom know as the "gun room". I picked up one tip that I passed on to my present bench when I mounted my RCBS Rockchucker press. Mount a lag bolt to the frame top (2X4 or 2X whatever) horizontally behind the press so that it makes contact when the press is at rest. This will take some pressure off the table top when you size brass. I don't think the Dillon 550B will need this because of the wider base and the back side is almost flush with the side of the table (or at least it is on mine).

If you have a Sam's Club close by, check out a workbench they have. If I recallcorrectly, it is 38" high x 25" deep x about 72" long. It has a heavy steel frame & legs with a good looking gardwood top about 2" thick. $198.

I figure that's not a lot more than I would spend for comparable materials and a whole lot easier to assemble.

Haven't bought one yet, but been looking for a couple of months.

I put two 2x10 or 2x12 boards (I can't remember, it's big enough though) on top of a 2x4 frame. No plywood on top, though that would have made for a nicer work surface. I filled the gap between the boards with some wood filler and put a couple of coats of polyurethane on top.

If you build your own bench, leave an overhang. I goofed up and put the frame of the bench flush with the edge of the top. I found out when I mounted my press that it needs about 1/2" of an overhang for the ram to move. I wound up filing a groove into the frame to allow the ram to move freely. If I'd let the top overhang the frame an inch or so, there wouldn't have been any issues.

Edited by 56FordGuy

I kept my bench on the small side. Its approx 2'x4' working area, with a height of 36.5 inches. The top is 3/4" plywood. When I first built it, it wobbled alot, so I added the side braces. Problem solved. I typically stand when I reload or use my bar stool. I try to keep everything on shelves nearby or stored under the bench. I plan to add a shelf below my bench to get my cans off the floor. Also, I have 3 boys that love to get into everything, so the door stays locked. Here's my setup...

ReloadingBench001-1.jpg

ReloadingBench002-1.jpg

I kept my bench on the small side. Its approx 2'x4' working area, with a height of 36.5 inches. The top is 3/4" plywood. When I first built it, it wobbled alot, so I added the side braces. Problem solved. I typically stand when I reload or use my bar stool. I try to keep everything on shelves nearby or stored under the bench. I plan to add a shelf below my bench to get my cans off the floor. Also, I have 3 boys that love to get into everything, so the door stays locked. Here's my setup...

ReloadingBench001-1.jpg

ReloadingBench002-1.jpg

I like that very much :cry: