Saw Avatar 3D tonight....

TNTitan

Guest Verbal Kint

From the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of Amercia) it gets a PG-13 rating due to "intense epic battle sequences and warfare, sensuality, language and some smoking."

That said, I would still let my 8yr old son watch it. lol. The movie really doesn't show all that much blood or gore... just typical fight scenes (missiles and rockets hitting stuff, arrows nailing a person or two, etc) and I honestly didn't detect much foul language.

Pretty kid safe, imo. No worse than a lot of Disney movies.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gun Geek

My daughter is almost 4. She has a firm grasp on the fact that movies are fake. Her favorites are Harry Potter (I know after watching it 1.56 Billion times I cant stand it) and Lord of the Rings. If it is no worse the LotR then I prolly will go see it soon.

Guest Verbal Kint

Yeah, definitely no worse than LoTR. Much tamer and less graphic, actually, imo. Graphics and storyline are more vivid and colorful as well. You both should enjoy Avatar.

I have a 4 yr old daughter as well, and I'd let her watch it with her brother.

I have been wanting to see this. How would this movie do with a small child? My kid isnt really sheltered but I try not to let her see toooo much blood and gore or a lot of bad language.

I thought it was a little to much language for my 7 year old, but to each their own. Check out this link and it tells you a little about the content. I don't think it's to bad, but still don't want to answer a lot of questions after the movie.

Avatar | Plugged In Online Movie Reviews

Sorry it took me so long to respond....I was busy making out my check to Green Peace...

:eek:

Look's like a pretty cool flick. Was planning on seeing it on Sunday, but ended up getting suckered in staying home and watching The Secret Life of Bees ;)

I like the pink lampshade in your mancave. Their is some kind of huge ship flying through your wall as well. :eek:

weird.. it does look pink in that pic. actually the shade is hunter green.. guess the yellow bulb makes it look like that. oh. and yea. the flying ship scares me too. ;)

I have been wanting to see this. How would this movie do with a small child? My kid isnt really sheltered but I try not to let her see toooo much blood and gore or a lot of bad language.

There is not much gore at all. there are some intense battle scenes, people get shot by arrows and such.. but nothing too bad. The s-word makes an appearance a few times, but that is the extent of the bad language. Honestly.. this is one of those movies where my only concern with a small child would be if they can handle the intense scenes in 3D. Other than that - it should be ok for kids. (I dont have kids so take my advice with a grain of salt)

Look's like a pretty cool flick. Was planning on seeing it on Sunday, but ended up getting suckered in staying home and watching The Secret Life of Bees :lol:

Did you take him to dinner first? :D

I was a bit skeptical, but my son really wanted to see it so we made it a father son affair. We both enjoyed it. The tree hugger/liberal theme was there, but less in your face than what I expected and no more than most other movies. Actually if you imagine the bad guys (the ones with guns) as being our current administration trying to ram something down our throats, and we, the blue people, fighting back with everything we have, then it's really a good movie. It's all in how you spin it!

:)

Did have one unfortunate incident at our showing. Some rude teenagers sitting two rows back apparently checked their manners at the door and wouldn't shut their mouths. They seemed to think everyone around them cared more for what they thought were cute remarks than listening to the movie. I called them down, they were quite after that and avoided me after the show was over. Morons.:death:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't think the IMAX 3D was worth more than double the price of a standard widescreen theater but I did enjoy the movie. The only thing that really annoyed me about the movie was that with all that creativity flowing they couldn't come up with something better to name the ludicrously profitable mineral they were mining than "unobtanium." Probably the only truly dumb thing about the movie. Other than that it really is analogous to the Pocahontas/European settlers vs. Native Americans story.

My wife and myself went to see it yesterday at the IMAX in Turkey Creek and it was unbelievable. That 3d is amazing. The trailer for the space shuttle had better 3d than Avatar. The astronauts were in our seats. It almost was sickening. lol

But just wow, avatar was awesome. Did anyone catch that the humans were using artificial/mechanical means to achieve what the avatars did by biologically bonding? Talk about some tree hugger crap right there. lol

Just returned home from seeing Avatar. I thought the movie itself was pretty darn good, but the 3D experience was great. Not usually my "type" of movie, but I'm very glad I made the decision to see it, especially in 3D.

The only issue I had wasn't with the movie itself, but rather the IMAX theater. This is only the second IMAX theater I've been in, and the Opry Mills IMAX didn't even compare to the IMAX in Chicago.

The IMAX theater in Chicago had/has a screen that is somewhat dome-shaped, and it was more or less on the ceiling. When reclined (way back) in your seat, you saw nothing but screen. Your perifial vision did not see any walls or blackness -- it was all screen.

All in all we really enjoyed the movie, and didn't walk away feeling like we were ripped off. Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't spend the extra money for this IMAX theater, but no regrets.

Just thought of another gripe but not about the movie itself. Can't they make some decent 3D glasses? Some that wrap around your eyes instead of feeling like the frames are 3feet from your face and making you feel like your focusing through box that limits your FOV.

Edited by GT_Rat
can't spell.
couldn't come up with something better to name the ludicrously profitable mineral they were mining than "unobtanium."

I couldnt have said it better myself. That was rather lame. Other than that, checking reality at the door, the wife and I really enjoyed the movie.

Guest Tygarys

I saw this in 3D over the weekend. Its a good movie, but while the 3D effects do add a bit too it, they were not as good as I thought they would be.

• 1 month later...