Hey 1911 guys and gals...I have a question.

StPatrick

My dad is interested in getting himself a gun. He's looking more for a collector's piece than a shooter. He qualified as a marksman with whatever the duty 1911 was (Army) in 1973 or '74. All his buddies have Kimbers, so that's what he thinks he wants. He liked the way Kimbers fit his hand, but I'd think that full frame 1911s fit pretty much the same.

Being the armed guy in the family, he asked what I thought about them.

I have no experience with 1911s, so here's what I told him:

"If you want something to shoot regularly that will be like what you used to have, get a SA mil-spec, it's an improved version of the duty 1911. If you want a collector's gun, a Kimber doesn't really fit the bill - they're nice, but not that nice. Kimber makes fine 1911s, but there are better out there, such as Baer and Nighthawk. Dan Wessons are nice, but only if you want to buy now, before 2010 pricing kicks in. If you really want a collectible, and are in no hurry, wait till 2011, and see what is available from the major manufacturers for the 100 year anniversary." (paraphrased)

Like I said, I don't know the 1911 platform well enough to speak from experience or expertise.

Did I do right? If so great. If not, what should I have told him? Your feedback is very appreciated.

Thanks,

StPatrick

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO recommending the SA mil-spec is good. The only thing improved over what he trained on is the sights (and it's not 30 years old).

I personally have no problems with the "budget" 1911's. Rock Island for example. They are even cheaper, like $400, are faithful replicas of the original 1911A1's, are just as reliable as Kimbers, and most likely shoot just as well...depending on what kind of marksman you are. :P

My dad is interested in getting himself a gun. He's looking more for a collector's piece than a shooter. He qualified as a marksman with whatever the duty 1911 was (Army) in 1973 or '74. All his buddies have Kimbers, so that's what he thinks he wants. He liked the way Kimbers fit his hand, but I'd think that full frame 1911s fit pretty much the same.

Being the armed guy in the family, he asked what I thought about them.

I have no experience with 1911s, so here's what I told him:

"If you want something to shoot regularly that will be like what you used to have, get a SA mil-spec, it's an improved version of the duty 1911. If you want a collector's gun, a Kimber doesn't really fit the bill - they're nice, but not that nice. Kimber makes fine 1911s, but there are better out there, such as Baer and Nighthawk. Dan Wessons are nice, but only if you want to buy now, before 2010 pricing kicks in. If you really want a collectible, and are in no hurry, wait till 2011, and see what is available from the major manufacturers for the 100 year anniversary." (paraphrased)

Like I said, I don't know the 1911 platform well enough to speak from experience or expertise.

Did I do right? If so great. If not, what should I have told him? Your feedback is very appreciated.

Thanks,

StPatrick

Excellent advice and well stated! :P

Guest Orionsic

Les Baer, it retains its value and will out-shoot almost any 1911 out there..

Gunbroker has them, periodically, cheaper than any other place, used.. Champion's Choice & Proload have the best prices around.

Edited by Orionsic

I'm no expert but do hang out with a few fellows who border on expertise. One of my friends has over a dozen 1911s, all sizes, all Colts or Springfields. One of his buddies collects WWI era 1911s. I have another friend who collects vintage 1911s over near Dyer. I have a couple of friends who occasionally fit custom ones from parts. I've had 6 myself. One Frankenstein, 1 Dan Wesson Pointman, 3 Springfields and a no name .38Super/9mm. I like fiddling with the actions. I just picked up a reliably functioning used SA 1911A1 (325.00) to eventually become the basis for a .22LR 1911. My friend in the FBI told me that if you get on SWAT you can buy and carry either a Springfield Armory Pro or TRP. I don't like rails myself for my own civilian carry so I'm not partial to the TRP although I have had an Operator with rails. My favorite 1911 is one belonging to one of the aforementioned friends, a Springfield Armory Champion "Super Tuned." It isn't the most expensive one I have touched, but everything works in that pistol right. I have a couple of other friends who have gone through their share of high end 1911s. Nighthawks seem nice.

Bottom Line: In my opinion and you know the old saying about opinions, get an old WWI or WWII vintage for a collector, as in any antique collecting enterprise, do your research and exercise caution. People do all sorts of things to fool the naive and ignorant. For a shooter get a Springfield Armory. I'm quite unsure if paying big bucks for a small volume maker's gun, regardless of quality, makes it necessarily a collectible. Only time can tell that.

I think if I were looking at it from a collector perspective, I'd go with a Colt.

I'll second (or third) this. A Colt XSE or something like that, or a Combat (see link below). He could also get a Springfield Loaded model - many features, but tried-and-true 1911 from a great base gun. Those both (moreso the Colt) would be my recommendation. Another choice would be the guns from STI - a Lawman, Legacy, whathaveyou... If he is indeed looking for a "collectable", then nothing out-values a classic Colt, that's period-correct. He may not want to shoot it alot, though, and that may take the fun out of owning such a gun.

Colt 1911 Special Combat Series 70 Government (NIB : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Colt 1911 XSE Government Enhanced Compitition(NIB) : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Edited by Moody
Guest BigShot
Bottom Line: In my opinion and you know the old saying about opinions, get an old WWI or WWII vintage for a collector, as in any antique collecting enterprise, do your research and exercise caution. People do all sorts of things to fool the naive and ignorant. For a shooter get a Springfield Armory. I'm quite unsure if paying big bucks for a small volume maker's gun, regardless of quality, makes it necessarily a collectible. Only time can tell that.

Right on with "Time will Tell"... Collector value is REAL tricky and over the years I've never kept the right pieces to gain advantage of any appreciation to speak of. The best value in my opinion these days is get a 1911 that is known to shoot accurately, reliable and fits the hand with magic. That's the keeper. My keeper is a tricked out SA I've had since 1988. Everytime I pick it up, it's got the magic over ALL the other ones I play with. Shoots as well as it feels.

Recommend high end Springfields and Dan Wessons for out of the box keepers. If you have the cash, a used Ed Brown or Les Baer would definitely be a keepsake hand-me-down... (hint) :D

Thanks for all the kind advice and exclamation points. Based on the wisdom of the crowd, I think I'll just stay out of whatever it is the man wants to do. I can't wrap my head around buying a NIB gun and not shooting it, so that seems the best course of action.

Next on my list is a 1911 to shoot regularly, and I'll refer back to this thread when the time comes. I'm not into collecting, so it will be something that will be fun to shoot for as long as I choose to keep it.

That being said, I'm already setting aside a little bit of cash for the 100 year anniversary Colt 1911s, because...well, just because. Hell, in 2051, I'll only be 72, and I can show it to my grandkids and say "this could buy you a year of college tuition. Graduate, work, and get your own, younguns. Now fetch granddad a beer."

I'm already a crotchety old man in a younger man's body, so I really look forward to when I can be one with some real style. The dark side is strong in me that way, I guess.

Edited by StPatrick