Lane Kiffin leaving U.T. !!!!

FUJIMO

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like him. I feel better.

I feel like he understands the culture, traditions, and history of the program. Hell, I bet Lane Kiffin still doesn't know who Robert Neyland was.

He is genuine, well-spoken, respectful of what Tennessee is, and thankful for his past and those who helped him get here.

Also, early on he referred to his family as part of his decision making process and the toughness of making moves. When you look at the age of his kids, while he did not promise stability, as a father, you know he wants it for them.

Now fans, we have to give him time and hope, and when the big wins don't come fast, patience needs to keep us from sending moving trucks to his house the way we did in Bill Battle days.

Guest mosinon

I'm hoping for the best. I mean Dooley seems likable but that lasts for a year. After that you've gotta start winning some games. Go Vols.

I feel much better if wore a three wolf tshirt and a carried wolf knife...

Edited by mosinon
added wolf stuff

Anyone got a link to the video of this press conference because it was not shown on any of our local affiliates down here. Just a snippit was. I want to see the whole thing. From what I gathered from the snippet is that he seems fired up, and ready to get it kick started and seems as though he is a class act.

I've been out of the loop since before noon and just learned of the hire. Had 100+ posts to read to catch up.

I was never excited about the LK hire. Saw no reason that his resume should get him this job. The only plus I saw was his dad. There was not the big search then that we have seen this week. Hamilton made a huge mistake that took 14 months to manifest. When that hire was made my thought process was that he was now the head football coach of my Tennessee Volunteers. There was nothing that I could do but support him because he was now the coach of the team that I love. The problem was that it never seemed right. I am very pleased that he is outta here and I am looking forward to watching the USC program go down in flames and I think that it's only a matter of time. I am also looking forward to seeing the events that have been mentioned in this thread come to light and watch Kiffin squirm.

Now we have Derek Dooley. I don't know much about him. I didn't see the PC but based on what you guys have said it sounds like he was impressive. We'll see if this was a good hire but it may take 2 to 4 years to know for sure. I hope that he will be the last coach the we hire for the next 20 years. We TN fans always have high expectations for our Vols. In my mind we should always be a top 10 team and always mentioned as a legitimate contender for the championship. PERIOD. Is Dooley the right choice? I certainly hope so. Time will tell.

I am very disappointed that there were so many that turned down offers from UT. I think that Hamilton should go. I believe that he was the reason that many had no desire to come to TN and be under such an idiot.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Guest Drewsett

I wonder how well a 4-8 record at a lower tier school will translate to the SEC...

there will certainly be a few rebuilding seasons in the offing...(who am I kidding, we've been rebuilding since 98 it seems)

Guest Bronker
medium_VandyJohnson.JPG

"Mr. Ref, please tell Hamilton to quit calling me! Doesn't he have some catastrophe to handle somewhere?"

Dooley...not exciting me at all.

There's plenty of room on the Vandy Bandwagon if you're interested. All you need to submit is:

A transcript of a 4.0 GPA from an accredited private university.

Photos, and documentation of the square footage of your vacation home.

Your private winelist

Lastly, a $1,500 application fee.

Bronker...gettin' his snob on!:)

I wonder how well a 4-8 record at a lower tier school will translate to the SEC...

there will certainly be a few rebuilding seasons in the offing...(who am I kidding, we've been rebuilding since 98 it seems)

Well seeing as how the talent over there is like light years below tennessees and coach dooley was able to hang with LSU and actually lead them at halftime and hang close to boise state and some others says alot when he had a team with really no talent. Now that he has come to tn and has some talent I look forward to see what he can do with it. This may be the best hire yet and might make hamilton a genius. Only time will tell.

Guest mikedwood

Dooley strikes me as a stand up guy. I think that he will raise the scholastic bar for the players. I don't think thugs will be an issue with the UT team for much longer.

While I'm sure some Vols fans would love the above in theory, in practice winning 50 or 60% of the games. I don't think he will last long.

As long as he beats USC I don't care.

His winning percentage is .459 just under 500. That is decent. That was with talent less players. Let's just see what he can do. At the time bruce pearl was hired I had never heard of him and was like WTH? is mike hamilton thinking? It turned out to be the best fit for the mens basketball program and has been successful.

This may be the best hire yet and might make hamilton a genius. Only time will tell.

Even if this hire does turn out to be a great one,and I really hope it is, I don't think there is anything that will make Hamilton appear to be a genius. It will just mean that he got lucky.

His winning percentage is .459 just under 500. That is decent. That was with talent less players.

And, generally speaking, against far less talented teams.

As I posted earlier, he's on W better than his predecessor at LaTech, who went 16-20.

Let's just see what he can do.
Agreed, I don't think DD is ready for this position, but at worst he'll be a Mike Shula type of hire - setting the program up for bigger things for his follow-up. He certainly won't cheat or leave you high and dry ala Lame.
At the time bruce pearl was hired I had never heard of him and was like WTH? is mike hamilton thinking? It turned out to be the best fit for the mens basketball program and has been successful.
To be fair, you may not have heard of Pearl, but he won and won big every where he had been before UT. He was a relative unknown but was nowhere near a <.500 coach.

"Before coming to Tennessee, Pearl was the head coach at Milwaukee and, prior to that, at Southern Indiana, where he won a Division II national championship. He also served as an assistant coach at the University of Iowa under then-head coach Tom Davis. Among his accolades, Pearl is the second-fastest NCAA coach to reach 300 victories, and needed only 382 games to reach this mark (Roy Williams, the current coach at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, needed 370 games at the University of Kansas to reach this milestone)." - wikipedia entry