Kimber Ultra on the horizon?

Guest mtsumatt

Guest mtsumatt

Well I went to one of those places where we all get in trouble with the wives today. Yep...it contained lots of adult toys. You guessed it; the gun show. I looked at a Kimber Ultra today and fell in love. It felt good and seems to be a great gun for carry. This would be my first 1911 style gun. I've shot a colt full size and it felt great! The bullets always hit me in the head, but other than that, it felt really natural.

So, I've been trying to do some research and I keep coming up with the Ultra II and I don't remember seeing the II on this gun. It was new, at least it was supposed to be. This place was asking $799 for basic black and $899 for the same gun with night sights. There were some fancier ultras with SS slides and wood grips for much more, but they were the same gun.

Is the Ultra without the "II" an older version of the gun?

Also, in order to avoid a divorce :screwy:, I would have to sell one of my pistols. Would you sell the G30 that I've carried for 12 years and has never failed me once, or would you sell the shiny single action Ruger Vaquero chambered in 45LC that my wife bought me for Christmas in 2001?

Or, would you just keep what I have and forget I ever met Kimber?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope those bullets stop hitting you in the head. One day, they might penetrate that thick skull :screwy:

If you have to sell your familiar G30 or your wife's thoughtful gift to get a Kimber Ultra...I would say hold off, or at least try to get them to knock off more on the price, so that it's completely worth it. And if you had to choose between the two...how much do you love your wife? And do you want her to buy you firearms in the future again :sick:

Edit:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=154091858

Is that what that pistol looked like? Looks like it says "Ultra Carry" instead of "Ultra Carry II". Dunno what's different about it.

Edited by SavageSig
Guest superdrew4000

I'm not a smart man, but if I were lucky enough to have my wife give me a gun as a present; I sure wouldn't sell it. They know. Somehow they always know.

I'm not a smart man, but if I were lucky enough to have my wife give me a gun as a present; I sure wouldn't sell it. They know. Somehow they always know.

agreed....my fiance' bought me a G26 for christmas. Its my EDC and i wont sell it. She gave it to me about 3 hours before i gave her a ring :):cool:

Guest BigShot

Sounds like you have THREE keepers... the G30, the Ruger and a great woman. Wait on the Kimber. There are better deals that will come to you when you have the cash ready to jump.

Guest mtsumatt

I guess I should just try to save some money and get it when I can. However, are there not any Kimber experts out there that can tell me the difference between the Ultra and the Ultra II?

I've also read on here that there are many people who have had problems with the Kimbers. I really liked the size of this gun. Is there another gun I should look at that will feel the same and be more reliable?

Guest PJs97Talon

I actually bought my wife an Ultra Carry II for Christmas. She doesn't like o shoot anything smaller than a .45 and grew up shooting a 1911. She wouldn't carry a full size 1911 though. We had been to the gun store and she saw the Ultra Carry. She liked it, but didn't know how it would shoot since it was missing 1 1/2" inches of barrel length. I went and put 250 rounds through it on Saturday and it shoots pretty nice.(Maybe she will get to shoot it at some point.) I didn't have any problems with it while we were shooting Saturday. I am not sure what the differences are between the two versions though.

I've had an Ultra CDP II for about two years. It's an excellent pistol and one of my favorite to carry. At the distances likely to be seen in self defense, I shoot it as accurately as a 5" 1911. Having read that some had problems with the Ultra and other 3" 1911s, I got several magazines from Wilson Combat. I've never had a problem with this pistol.

I may be a better expert at marriage than Kimbers. Upsetting the wife over guns directly affects your gun purchases in the future. Keep what she bought you and cherish it forever.

As for Kimbers...The slide should say Ultra Carry II. So far as I know the II designates the Schwartz safety system which prevents accidental discharge from dropping your firearm.

Also, the comment about the different grips and slides being priced much higher - most of Kimber's other variations at higher price points come out of their custom shop, like the CPD II and SIS, both of which I have experience with. They are tuned a little better coming out of the factory and have other features like carry melt and special sights(in the case of the SIS). I've had some of the production model Kimbers, and you really do get more for your money on the "Custom Shop" variations.

That being said, I'd wait for a deal on one of the custom shop guns in that price range. You'll be happier in the long run, and it will begin a new addiction to Kimber firearms.

Guest BigShot
I really liked the size of this gun. Is there another gun I should look at that will feel the same and be more reliable?

There are a few more 1911s that size that are known reliable. My Para Ordnance LDA "Carry" has been very reliable, shoots hollow points and is WAY more accurate than I expected. They also come with single action.

Also, heard the Colt "Agent" is a great choice with few problems right out of the box.

Just word of mouth but... the Kimber Ultra and Springfield EMP will need break-in time and some patience to achieve true reliability. They are sweet pistols that look great and feel right. Always heard they are very accurate too.

I know there's a couple more but those are ones I'd been looking at.

I guess I should just try to save some money and get it when I can. However, are there not any Kimber experts out there that can tell me the difference between the Ultra and the Ultra II?

I've also read on here that there are many people who have had problems with the Kimbers. I really liked the size of this gun. Is there another gun I should look at that will feel the same and be more reliable?

I'm not an expert, but I am an owner of an Ultra II. The series II refers to the Schwartz type safety. The Ultra II requires more care when fieldstripping and the II stands for generation 2. The new generation Kimber’s designated with a “II” have a safety feature that locks the firing pin in place until the palm safety is depressed. Some gun gurus in pistol forums complain about the feature and say it can cause misfires. After 500 rounds or more in my gun, I’ve never experienced a single problem with the added safety.

You can do a search on forums that deal primarily with the 1911 and get more info.

Guest mtsumatt

Thanks for all the info! I went and played with a few at the outpost armory this week. I really did like the ultra and the crimson trace was really cool with the laser built into the grip. I looked at the Colt New Agent with no sights, but I think I prefered the Kimber. I also took a look at the new Glock 36 which is my same gun but narrower and easier to tuck in. I really do like my glock, but I am seriously considering the 1911 style gun for my next carry weapon. I think I will have to wait until I get some more funds in the bank or until I get that special permission from the Mrs.

Maybe I'll just wait and buy an Ed Brown Kobra Carry! Wouldn't that be nice? From what I've read, that's the ultimate carry 1911. Just a little too expensive for this Tennessee Poor Boy. Perhaps some day when my kids are out of daycare I'll be able to afford something that nice. Until then, my goal is to save up for one of the Kimbers. I learned a long time ago that you have to get what feels best for you and not what feels best for everyone else, no matter how good of a review it gets.

I learned a long time ago that you have to get what feels best for you and not what feels best for everyone else, no matter how good of a review it gets.

Very well said. The right pistol is like the right woman or the right shoes, you just know. I have a Glock that I like really well, but a 1911 provides a feeling that I love. I looked at everything from a Rock Island to an Ed Brown. I really liked the Kimbers or the Colt Defender.

The reviews on the Ultra's that are bad can be attributed to two major issues......limp wristing and the factory Kimber mags. Simple physics. These require a firm grip because the short recoil spring. I've found that Wilson Combat mags feed very well.

I suggest you go to a range that rents 1911's, find people locally, and shoot as many different one's as you can. Above all, join some 1911 forums and learn as much as possible. Enjoy!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I carry the Kimber Ultra CDP 2. FINE handgun. Anyone who tells you they have any problems with Kimbers, are probably a bunch of "panty grippers". It takes a firm grip. Not super tight, but firm. I paid $1200.00 with tax for mine and I love it. Very light for carry. A fobus KM3 paddle holster brings the gun close to the body, good retention and allows for a quick draw. Go get ya one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Sigman

Guest mtsumatt

I plan on posting pictures soon; I bought the ultra carry II in stainless steel! I'm really excited about it. It has now had 57 flawless rounds through it. It really feels good in the hand. It has a little more kick than I thought it would have but I bet that's the aluminum frame. I do need a holster for it so I really appreciate the suggestion.

Presented with those choices I wouldn’t have to think twice.

You can’t sell a gun that your wife bought for you. She may say its okay; but she’s telling a bold faced lie; she would never forget it.

I wouldn’t own a Glock; so I say sell it and get something really nice. :up:

I have owned many 1911’s and you can’t go wrong with a Kimber. In the Ultra size I owned an SIS. The only negative thing I could say would be on the size of that weapon in general. They are carry guns only. They aren’t good for target or range use.

EDIT: Oops… didn’t read far enough. Conrgats, you will be happy with a Kimber.

Edited by DaveTN
Posting before finishing thread.

Agreed. As much as I'd like to take that Ruger off your hands, that has wife-problems written all over it.

Guest mtsumatt
So Matt, I'm curious. What did you do to get permission from the wife to buy the Kimber? Sell the Glock, the Ruger, or what?

I had to sell the glock. It was kinda sad, but I now own a really sweet gun and I'm excited about it. I couldn't sell the ruger. My wife said, "don't sell the cool one; sell that ugly black one you always carry and keep the cool one." I kinda agreed.

Guest mtsumatt

So here's a picture I took with my phone:

232323232%7Ffp63252%3Enu%3D32%3A2%3E4%3A7%3E26%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B%3A%3B66%3B3332%3Bnu0mrj

It's pretty much a standard Ultra Carry II in Stainless Steel. I really am glad I went with the SS finish. I am now looking for a holster to carry it in and I need at least one magazine for it. You pay that much $$$, and it only comes with one magazine? Are you kidding me?

Also, it has basic black sights. Has anyone put the white dots on their black sights so that they show up better??? Night sights would be great, but I don't want to spend the money right now. If you have any suggestions on using some paint or something for a temporary fix, please let me know.

Edited by mtsumatt
Picture
So here's a picture I took with my phone:

2.jpg?partExt=.jpg&&&outquality=90&ext=.jpg&limitsize=615,500

It's pretty much a standard Ultra Carry II in Stainless Steel. I really am glad I went with the SS finish. I am now looking for a holster to carry it in and I need at least one magazine for it. You pay that much $$$, and it only comes with one magazine? Are you kidding me?

Also, it has basic black sights. Has anyone put the white dots on their black sights so that they show up better??? Night sights would be great, but I don't want to spend the money right now. If you have any suggestions on using some paint or something for a temporary fix, please let me know.

Congratulations, I love my Ultra CDP II.

I know Hero Gear stocks Kim-Pro mags. It's just about 5 weeks until the next Hero Gear gunshow in Winchester, you can probably pick one up there.

I have flouresent(sp?) model paint with a small brush to make the front sight stand out better on some stock sights.