Do I have a case?

I'm kinda kidding, but I am so damn pissed right now that I almost may be a little serious. I'm not exactly sure why I am so livid, but I can't help myself at the moment. This has been going on since Monday.

Basically, on or about 1/18/10 a co-worker of mine/family member of co-worker (not sure who) sent an anonymous email to our corporate office, telling them that they witnessed another driver and I walking into a movie theater while on the clock and driving a company vehicle. This was a complete lie. NEVER HAPPENED!

The other driver, his grandson and I did met for lunch, but we were probably a mile +/- from the nearest movie theater. Fact is, we parked our semi's behind the Home Town Buffet on Gallatin Rd and walked in to gorge ourselves on crappy buffet food. Hey, his grandson chose HTB because they have all-you-can-drink chocolate milk. We couldn't devastate the kid by telling him no.:love: Anyway, we were there for about an hour, then returned to our office.

Fast forward to this Monday.

Out of the blue, our boss called us into the office and confronted us with this information. We couldn't think of any reason why someone would create such a lie, so needless to say, we were floored by these accusations. Both of us thought we were quite friendly with all of our co-workers, and never expected anything like this to happen.

I paid for the meal with my credit/debit card, and have the bank information to prove where we were at the time we were supposedly at a movie theater. I'm fairly confident the bank info is sufficient enough to please my boss, but it's still a disaster as far as his boss (in Memphis) is concerned.

Like many companies out there, the crappy economy has us struggling to get 40 hours a week. My boss has been well aware of this for quite some time and has not had an issue with us drivers taking our time getting back in the afternoon. His boss on the other hand, not so understanding, as we recently found out. His boss now wants to know why we were spending an hour+ at lunch. The whole movie things is nearly a moot point at this time.

Our boss seems to be back peddling a bit at this point, possibly in fear of finding himself in hot water for allowing us to get 40 hours even though the workload hasn't been sufficient enough to account for the hours.

For the first time in my life, I think I'm about to receive a "letter of reprimand". Not only does it piss me off that I'm in this position in the first place, it pisses me off even more to know I'm possibly going to receive a letter of reprimand for doing something that my boss was well aware of for quite some time, and lead us to believe that the company was just being nice by allowing us to get our full 40 hours. And I'm EVEN MORE pissed that all of this is happening because some douchebag co-worker felt the need to send an anonymous email filled with lies. And EVEN MORE pissed that our boss does not have our back. We don't even deal with his boss, and I don't think I've ever even met the woman in the 7 years I've been employeed with the company.

I know it may sound silly, but this ordeal has put a huge amount of unnecessary stress on me throughout this week, and I'm sure it will only continue to get worse, as the situation doesn't seem to be going away. I have always taken great pride in my work, and have always been the "company man" kinda guy. I've had ZERO disciplinary issues in the 7 years I've been with the company so I wouldn't think I'll be fired, but because of an anonymous lie from a co-woker, it has caused serious stress in my life.

Botton line is, I want to know if I have a chance of finding out who this person is. I would like a copy of the email, email address, and even the IP address.

/Rant Over!

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

I had to call the cops on my neighbor two nights ago for revving and tuning his Mustang at 10:38 at night. I'm glad they will probably never know that I called it in, but either way I don't give a firk. Doubt they'll avow that info for you either.

Your boss is very cool so far. I think if you play straight for a bit, he'll protect you.

You'd need a court order to get the ISP to tell you who was using that IP address, sorry to hear about this :up: happening to you.

there are people that dont need the ISP to give them this info...

hope everything works out. as far as the main boss not knowing what the local boss was doing, its a case of the local boss has sympathy and can connect with the people who are employed and the main boss just sees you as a number.

Guest jackdm3
there are people that dont need the ISP to give them this info...

hope everything works out. as far as the main boss not knowing what the local boss was doing, its a case of the local boss has sympathy and can connect with the people who are employed and the main boss just sees you as a number.

All that he said.

I'm trying very hard to be calm about the situation, but it's really bothering me far more than I would have thought.

I know I should probably let it go, but knowing that I'm working with someone on a daily basis who is willing to do this type of thing. We have a fairly small number of employees, and that makes it even more difficult to stomach.

Guest BEARMAN

TDR, the chicken s**t SOB that turned you guys in, has an insecurity problem with his manhood...or he would not be slipping around, trying to start some BS!!!

If you make a big issue out of it...then he wins and gets his little pea-brained jollys from watching you guys squirm and get all bent outta shape over it. A reprimand usually isn't worth the paper it's written on...unless you get alot of them...which I don't think you're one to have that problem.

Just let it go, and start watching your back, and in time, you'll find out who the snitch is...it never fails...someone will start talking, and then....you can watch that little coward go to squirming! FWIW just my .02 :D

My mom told me she has health issues not from working so hard, full time job and her own bussiness, but from letting petty crap that people pull like that get in her head. I think her advise to you would be the same she would tell me. Keep proving your proud of your job and a hard worker. The garbage will be found out soon enough.

I know it's hard to let it go, but don't stress yourself out brother.........

Guest Sgt. Joe
I'm trying very hard to be calm about the situation, but it's really bothering me far more than I would have thought.

I know I should probably let it go, but knowing that I'm working with someone on a daily basis who is willing to do this type of thing. We have a fairly small number of employees, and that makes it even more difficult to stomach.

Seven years and No problems? I can feel your frustration my friend and will go a bit against the flow here and say this.

If that letter says you went to the movie and you can prove you did not I would refuse to sign it. And let the main boss know why with a polite letter of your own and your proof.

You did say that the movie part was pretty much a moot point so the letter may not mention it at all. If it does I would fight it to the end. I would never sign anything that says I did something I knew I did not do.

If it says you took too long a lunch then that is a whole lot different.

If that has been pretty much the SOP it is your boss's problem and he should stand up for you.....Like you that is one of the things that would chap me the most.

That and the fact that someone in a small office is stabbing you in the back. I would be very pissed also. Is any one else getting such a letter?

Even with your seven years sadly you are probably still just a number to them, but at least now you know you have a snake in your area and it sounds like your boss is only doing it to cover his own butt, so now you know what that person is made of.

But as the others have said one letter is not going to mean much if anything in the big picture. And whomever did this will eventually tell someone else who will tell someone else and eventually you will know. You said it was a fairly small group, that makes me confident that you will eventually find out who the rat is.

So if it is just about a long lunch break, sign it and move on, but dont forget what you have learned about those around you. Not that I think you ever would.

Try and :up: and see what happens.

Guest jackdm3

My best friend moved to Hollyweird three years ago. He's IT. He consistently goes to work late, but he works late if needed. Takes 1.5 to 2 hr lunches. When he comes to Memphis for 5 days, it usually turns into 8 or 9, but he does his IT job remotely whenever they need. He says that his vacations are almost working vacations, so he doesn't give a firk. He's been like this for 5 years, but he does the job.

If you're good, you'll breeze.

Seven years and No problems? I can feel your frustration my friend and will go a bit against the flow here and say this.

If that letter says you went to the movie and you can prove you did not I would refuse to sign it. And let the main boss know why with a polite letter of your own and your proof.

You did say that the movie part was pretty much a moot point so the letter may not mention it at all. If it does I would fight it to the end. I would never sign anything that says I did something I knew I did not do.

If it says you took too long a lunch then that is a whole lot different.

If that has been pretty much the SOP it is your boss's problem and he should stand up for you.....Like you that is one of the things that would chap me the most.

That and the fact that someone in a small office is stabbing you in the back. I would be very pissed also. Is any one else getting such a letter?

Even with your seven years sadly you are probably still just a number to them, but at least now you know you have a snake in your area and it sounds like your boss is only doing it to cover his own butt, so now you know what that person is made of.

But as the others have said one letter is not going to mean much if anything in the big picture. And whomever did this will eventually tell someone else who will tell someone else and eventually you will know. You said it was a fairly small group, that makes me confident that you will eventually find out who the rat is.

So if it is just about a long lunch break, sign it and move on, but dont forget what you have learned about those around you. Not that I think you ever would.

Try and :up: and see what happens.

Not good. Sign the letter, if it comes to that.. Make written comments if you need to on the letter, but refusal to sign can get you fired. Signing is not saying you agree, it is acknowleging they gave it to you. I see people everyday who refuse to sign such letters who are then fired.