Siderlock Safety for Glocks

Marswolf

Guest bigbuck_tn

Whatever did the world do back in the old days?

I mean all those DA Smiths and Colt revolvers with no grip safeties or thumb safeties, I bet there were butts with holes in them on every corner....:confused:

Seriously though, if Glocks fit you well but you are nervous about the lighter trigger pull get the NY+ trigger spring. It only costs a couple of dollars from most Glock part stores and it will bump you up to between 8 and 10 lbs of pull with a 5.5 lb connector. I personally like it better, it won't be as nice and smooth as a Sig or Kahr but it will result in the same "safety factor".

It is incredibly simple to do yourself. The only thing that is different afterwards is a heavier trigger pull and you have to hold the trigger down while pulling the slide off since the mechanics change from tension to compression.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed the part where someone was putting down 1911s.

I don't care what anyone else carries, it's each person's own choice and they have to live w/ the choice they make. I just get ticked when folks start saying stupid things to justify their choices. If you shoot enough, you'll figure out for yourself what works best for you. Then you won't need the advice of the many internet "experts".

Whatever did the world do back in the old days?

I mean all those DA Smiths and Colt revolvers with no grip safeties or thumb safeties, I bet there were butts with holes in them on every corner....:D

Well… back in “the old days†when most everyone that carried all the time was carrying S&W or Colt revolvers, Model 39’s & 59’s or 1911’s there were AD/ND’s (whichever name you like best) but they were few and far between. When you had someone at gun point you had your finger on the trigger without worry that your weapon would discharge.

Enter Glock….. Now AD/ND’s are common place, they are almost always Glocks and the Glocksters claim that is because all those people are not properly trained or they put their finger on the trigger.

You have to do your homework and make your own decisions. I don’t know how many times I have seen someone post that magazine disconnects are in the same “lawyer gun†category as internal locks. Clueless…. They are absolutely clueless. But that doesn’t keep them from offering their opinions.

Everyone is responsible for choosing a firearm that is the best fit for them, the way they carry, and the environment they are in. It’s not only your safety but the safety of those around you.

Get what you want, what you can handle, and what you feel comfortable with. I would say that if you have a weapon that you don’t feel is safe to carry with a round chamber; that is not a safe weapon for everyday carry, get rid of it. Get something you can trust. And practice…. a lot.

Well… back in “the old days†when most everyone that carried all the time was carrying S&W or Colt revolvers, Model 39’s & 59’s or 1911’s there were AD/ND’s (whichever name you like best) but they were few and far between. When you had someone at gun point you had your finger on the trigger without worry that your weapon would discharge.

Enter Glock….. Now AD/ND’s are common place, they are almost always Glocks and the Glocksters claim that is because all those people are not properly trained or they put their finger on the trigger.

You are not really claiming that it's safer to point a 1911 at someone with your finger on the trigger than it is a Glock, are you?

You have to do your homework and make your own decisions. I don’t know how many times I have seen someone post that magazine disconnects are in the same “lawyer gun†category as internal locks. Clueless…. They are absolutely clueless. But that doesn’t keep them from offering their opinions.

When Sarah Brady and her crowd insist that laws be passed requiring that all guns require these features, I consider them "lawyer guns."

Not picking a fight, just my respectful .02.

If you want to hear no discouraging word about Glocks, Glock Talk is a wonderful, if irritatingly mindless, place to be.

It always amuses me when people mention GT as a place for mindless Glock worshipping. That site has some of the most irrational anti-Glock rants I've ever read. They even put some of you to shame. :D

You are not really claiming that it's safer to point a 1911 at someone with your finger on the trigger than it is a Glock, are you?

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I’m not claiming anything, other than people need to do their homework.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I have never carried a weapon on or off duty that I felt I couldn’t put my finger on the trigger unless I was committed to fire. [/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I do not now, nor have I ever carried a Glock. I make that decision based on what I have seen or read in documented cases. I don’t need to; I have far too many choices in a handgun to bother myself with concerns that my gun will blow up or discharge if I bump it wrong.[/size][/font]

[When Sarah Brady and her crowd insist that laws be passed requiring that all guns require these features, I consider them "lawyer guns."

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Magazine disconnects have been around since before Sarah Brady and her group were ever on a mission. My point is if you want one; get one, if you don’t; don’t. But make a decision based on their function not on some far fetched notion that they were invented to satisfy the lawyers.[/size][/font]

Not picking a fight, just my respectful .02.

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]And I’m not calling your baby ugly. I’m saying there is a reason for many things that you may or may not want, or may or may not understand.[/size][/font]

Guest bigbuck_tn

If I were a LEO (Which I thankfully am not, too dangerous) I would definitely want magazine disconnect. They aren't just for lawyers. Being able to hit the mag release and let a perp have your sidearm and while he is trying to figure out why he can't kill you he looks up and sees the barrel of your backup gun pointing right at him is a very good advantage.

Heck, even a CCW civilian might want to look at that option.

The only thing that I don't like about them is some of them (BHP) won't let the mag drop free and so it kinda ruins the advantage.

Now internal locks. That is just lawyer crap. They ruined S&W for me...

If I am struggling with a thug, the last thing I am going to worry about is bumping my mag release in order to disable my gun. The typical argument is that cops can do this when knuckling with a thug, but I submit that A. most cops are right-handed B. many LE guns have a mag release on the left side C. most cop retention holsters securely cover the trigger guard/mag release area D. The cop bumping the mag release to prevent the thug from using his gun is a bit far-fetched. I've never heard or read of it happening (except maybe in movies). Even if I did have the presence of mind to do so, I wouldn't like my chances of hitting such a small target with the tip of my finger while fighting off a bad guy. I think the odds of gouging his eyes or ripping off his nuts would be much better. I suppose the nut dimensions correlate to the success rate of removal. :D

Edited by deerslayer

Magazine disconnects have been around since before Sarah Brady and her group were ever on a mission. My point is if you want one; get one, if you don’t; don’t. But make a decision based on their function not on some far fetched notion that they were invented to satisfy the lawyers.

Sure, magazine disconnects have been around forever (see the Browning High Power), but, until recently, nobody ever insisted that all guns must have them in order to pass some firearms-ignorant lawyer's safety litmus test.

Everyone seems to be digging in to support their own opinion (what a shock). I don't see anything new here. To each his/her own.

The better the trigger is (meaning easier to shoot fast and accurately, particularly under stress), the easier to shoot anytime (even if you don't want it to) if you don't treat it w/ respect. That applies to any gun. You should decide for yourself what the best "mix" is for you. Don't take my word and, for goodness sake, don't take the word of an internet guru.

I, personally, chose my carry gun based on what I SHOOT best, not based on how easy it is to reholster. Practice and watch what you're doing. Don't violate basic gunhandling rules and you'll be OK regardless of what you shoot. Besides, as a private citizen, if you ever do have to use your carry gun, reholstering will probably not be your biggest concern. These days most of the problems in this area are institutional rather than individual (as in piss poor training). Of course, that's just my opinion. I wouldn't want to lead anyone to believe that I am an expert or that my opinion is fact. There's enough of that around here already.

Bottom line, too many people talk about shooting more than they shoot. There's knowing something "in your mind" and knowing it "in your gut". You can read a book about driving but you won't know how to drive until you do it, a lot it, yourself. All this banter about what's "best" is a great way to kill time, but it doesn't mean squat.

Guest bigbuck_tn

I didn't mean you would hit it while it was still in your security holster.:D

This would be if you had a hand on the weapon and had already bypassed your safety features as part of your draw. Or if you had the weapon in hand and you were in a mexican stand off where you couldn't afford to let go and couldn't fire for some reason. If that were the case and you couldn't just pull the trigger make a shot hit the mag release with your thumb and let go. An option available if the opportunity presented itself, not as the go to instinctive reaction. Although that might be an idea, meet an agressive felon, punch the mag release and throw him your gun...:)

Seriously, Massad Ayoob, whether you like him or not has quite a few examples that he has reported on where during a struggle an officer has used that particular feature. Usually on S&W autos. If you want me to I can look it up and give you some references.

Maybe if it was a Glock you could just let him have it then it would probably go off and he would shoot himself or it might just explode.;)

Guest TNDixieGirl
:D this is gonna get good I can feel it!!

I doubt that. It's the same ole same ole "my toy is better than your toy" that we've had on this forum since the day I joined. It gets old quick. :)

I have never carried a weapon on or off duty that I felt I couldn’t put my finger on the trigger unless I was committed to fire.

Wish I could say that, but I have carried a couple of Glocks. :) Apart from them, I can say the same.

I learned from Roy Rogers. He said to never point a gun at anyone unless you intend to use it. He didn't say you have to keep your finger off the trigger or else bad things might happen to you. It wasn't an issue for guns back then, and it isn't an issue now for the guns I carry. They are quite safe with my finger on the trigger.

I doubt that. It's the same ole same ole "my toy is better than your toy" that we've had on this forum since the day I joined. It gets old quick. :)

Humm...Me sensing a pattering here.Ya know,I didn't start noticing the toy debates until you joined :D

Guest TNDixieGirl
Ya know,I didn't start noticing the toy debates until you joined :D

Which was approx. 6 months before you did. LOLOL :):taunt:Gotcha!

Guest gunslinger707

Well i have been folowing this thread determined to stick with my Glock untill today.I had it loaded laying on a table the dang thing jumped up and fired a round through the window killing my pet blacksnake in the barn 400 yds away.Dang Evil Glock gonna get a flintlock to replace it !!:D:D

Guest GLOCKGUY
Well i have been folowing this thread determined to stick with my Glock untill today.I had it loaded laying on a table the dang thing jumped up and fired a round through the window killing my pet blacksnake in the barn 400 yds away.Dang Evil Glock gonna get a flintlock to replace it !!:D:D

oh no i hate to hear that i think im going to sell my Glock to before my dog knocks it off the table and it goes off to on its own :doh:

Edited by GLOCKGUY

While I am greatly sorrowful about your pet black snake, I'm glad you have finally seen the light. :doh:

It's seems that some people can never be brought to reality and sensibility.