Siderlock Safety for Glocks

Marswolf

Guest GLOCKGUY

like i said please show me one report were a glock went off by dropping it i did research it and i came up with nothing so please show me your research on it thanks i will be waiting on it

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this test was done in 1992 and up grades have been made...ok so show me a report with the upgrades made were a glock went off by dropping it

and dropping a gun and throwing and gun is two different things

I'm not saying it's common, but it certainly has occurred... and is certainly a design issue which Glock ignored, except to make slight changes in later models (without affecting parts commonality :up:). Perhaps those changes are sufficient to mitigate the poor design, but the truth is, the flawed design is still being produced with band-aids for when a problem surfaces.

Guest GLOCKGUY
I'm not saying it's common, but it certainly has occurred... and is certainly a design issue which Glock ignored, except to make slight changes in later models (without affecting parts commonality :up:). Perhaps those changes are sufficient to mitigate the poor design, but the truth is, the flawed design is still being produced with band-aids for when a problem surfaces.

i just did a search on Google and on GLOCK talk and this was the only report out there and i was told that this has been fixed but what this guy on here is saying is you can drop a GLOCK and it will go off. i called GLOCK inc and ask them if i was to drop my GLOCK on the rear end would it go off they said NO

And they are probably right. But prudence would suggest that one should never say never. In a 5 minute search, I found several reports of drop-discharges with 2nd gen Glocks, the one I posted was simply the most credible citation.

I'm sure that they would have said that before the DEA tests, as well. I don't doubt that the 3rd gen models are far less likely to discharge.

I'm not knocking the Glock as a perfectly adequete weapon... but it's certainly fair to point out that design flaws have been covered up, when a recall should have been in-order... since the issue was brought up.

Guest GLOCKGUY
TACTICAL45 Here's the way i look at it if your not conferable with a gun with out a safety then by all means get one. just dont try and say that glocks are not safe with out a safety. ive owned a glock for over 15 years and ive carried a glock for over 10 years i know guys that have carried a glock alot longer then that and me or them have never had a AD. Its all in the way you practices shooting. but i would like to apologies for jumping all over you. you have your opinion about GLOCKS and i have mine :up:
Guest TACTICAL45

There are more tests that prove they will fire. If they continually improve the design, good for them for stepping up. One of the reasons for not going out of my way to show them to you is, I have done it so many times, and when I do some one always comes back with a " but what if they did it this way" and so on. Look I am not the only one who feels this way. And I think I should make it clear to all who keep making the finger safety remark, Yes, that is true, keep your finger off of it, and it should not go off. But your finger is not the only thing that can fire it, see the pictures I posted? His finger was not on the trigger, his tassel on his coat did it. You can see that in the picture. A gun in condition 1 without a safety is a accident waiting for a opportunity. Until I got my safety trigger, and installed it, I would not carry Con. 1, when I had it in the vehicle, or carry. To me if you are carrying you better be in Con. 1, or you can alway ask the BG to wait while you rack a round in... Everyone seems to use the finger/trigger slogan, but I do not see as of yet anyone denying the fact the gun will fire even with out using your finger. That is what make it dangerous.... I am all for acting safe, and defending yourself to the fullest, but why not make the odds in your favor when you have the chance to do so, and for such a low expense? So, yes they are unsafe. If you have to make so many precautions to not have you weapon discharge, isn't that telling you something? ( i.e. finger off trigger, watch your clothing, and so on..) I never have to worry about any of those things when I have a safety, and use it correctly, can you say the same? Thought not.

In closing this comment, I am not here to go out of my way to pick anyone out, just making points to my comments, and questions asked of me.

Edited by TACTICAL45

TACTICAL45, my finger/safety post was more of a jest towards Mars :up: as opposed to arguing or disputing what you said. I 100% agree that there is more to a Glock than keeping your finger out of the trigger guard to keep it from firing. As you said clothing etc... can possibly hang the trigger and cause it to fire. That is why no matter what my method of carry the holster covers the trigger. When holstering or unholstering I usually use my fingers to cover the side of the trigger guard to make sure no foreign object get caught. I also agree Condition 1 is the only way to carry, so if one chooses to carry a Glock they do need to exercise greater trigger safety than those that carry a handgun with an external safety.

I wont carry with a round chambered unless I am expecting something to/could happen. IMO, you are more likely to be a witness to a crime than be a victim of a crime so the extra second to charge the weapon wont be an issue. While seeking cover you have time to charge.

I wont carry with a round chambered unless I am expecting something to/could happen. IMO, you are more likely to be a witness to a crime than be a victim of a crime so the extra second to charge the weapon wont be an issue. While seeking cover you have time to charge.

If you're expecting something to happen, you should have a rifle. The point of a handgun is you can have one when you're not expecting anything.

If you're expecting something to happen, and you don't desire to be in harm's way, you shouldn't be there.

If you're expecting something to happen, and you have an interest in being in harm's way, you should have brought more than a pistol.

If you are thrust into a situation requiring immediate lethal response to remove yourself from harm's way, you'd better have a round chambered.

Guest TACTICAL45

No problem I take nothing personal. You can't really tell what the person meens over the internet. It is all in the voice.

As far as a rifle, yeas that would be nice to carry my A-3, but seeing how most of the firefights in everyday life happen withing 15-20 feet, and hand gun is lighter for me! :) You should always be ready for something, it is the people who look unsuspecting most of the time that are made into targets by the BG. They want the least amount of threat to them as possible. Ever hear the saying SHEEPLE? They walk around all day in a code WHITE, and wonder why _ _ it happen to them and not the guy walking around with their head up, and alert. Yes I would have to some what agree the odds are in your favor, but one time is all it will take for something to happen to you, and I am willing to bet you change your habits.

Guest TACTICAL45

I want to add one thing that will apply to all of you since my first post. Thanks for not going out of your way to be a hero, and intelligently getting your points across. Makes for a good conversation for new thinking, sharing views, facts, and ideas. It may sound corny, but it's better than bickering, and finger pointing!

Who all is going to Knob Creek in April?

I agree completely, Tactical45, and carry my 1911 cocked and locked all the time. My post was directed at Junglist more than you, I just can't quite wrap my head around the idea of carrying without a round in the chamber unless you expect something to happen.

If I was deployed and outside the wire I can see having one in the chamber. But in reality I live in Franklin and work in green hills. If I were going to orange mound in Memphis or east point/college park in Atlanta Id maybe chamber one. I just don't feel that threatened here.

If I was deployed and outside the wire I can see having one in the chamber. But in reality I live in Franklin and work in green hills. If I were going to orange mound in Memphis or east point/college park in Atlanta Id maybe chamber one. I just don't feel that threatened here.

Nobody can criticize that's your choice to make... and I think I can speak for everyone that we hope you're not shown to be wrong about that. The best advice is to be consistent, in whatever you do for your own security.

Guest TACTICAL45

I agree with molonlabetn, you should always stay consistent. You should never have to take time to think of which gun do I have, what condition is it in, and so on. It should be natural to you. 'The way you train in here is how you will perform out there", can't remember how many times I have heard that. And it is most of the time true. My exception to the rule is, what about the people who lock up under pressure? Fine motor skills go out the door in high stress conditions as well.

Also, try not to get too complacent, the BG are usually looking for a easy target, and a sleepy town away from the big city is a good place to go. I live in a small town as well, we call it Hooterville. No Hooters restaurant here, just a small town, but near big cities as well. Unfortunately the nearest one is where I work, in the LE community, we call it the war zone. And now with the budget the way it is, it's getting worse. The BG know how to read as well. The funniest/oddest thing I heard was from a county officer with 25 years in who invited me to do some ride a longs with him. "I ain't looking for trouble with the time I have in, you will see more in the war zone in one month, than I have seen in 25 years". Keep your head up, and on a swivel either way! :)