Siderlock Safety for Glocks

Marswolf

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO most of us non LEO HCP holders never really "expect" anything to happen......but we also realize that the unexpected can and does happen all around us every day.....in big cities, small towns, rural areas, and even in our homes. I believe we should always be prepared for the STHTF no matter where we're at. As for not having a round chambered.....IMO that would be a little too risky in a high stress situation. Just my .02.

Guest darkstar

Not ragging on anyones opinion or anything but seriously, what is the point of carrying a firearm without having it ready to go? Myself, personally I think the extra second(s) needed to chamber a round if necessary completely eliminates the purpose of carrying a gun (which is, ostensibly to protect oneself).

Guest TACTICAL45

Junglist,

I can see where you are coming from, I bet just about all members here have not seen first hand just exactly what a round can do to a human first hand. Or the aftermath of it as well. It is always your choise to carry one way or another if you are a civi., on duty weather LE, or Military is another story. Get caught by a superior, not following SOP and it will cost you for sure.....

I believe everyone should be on a constant state of suspicion now days. Be it from 911, or the guy on the corner, it can happen to anyone, anywhere. Do you have to be walking with a S on your chest, surely not, just keep your head up, and on a swivel.

Junglist,

I can see where you are coming from, I bet just about all members here have not seen first hand just exactly what a round can do to a human first hand. Or the aftermath of it as well.

I bet you are wrong.

BTW, what's the story on the bloody shirt? A picture may be worth a thousand words, but I have no idea what happened or what the facts or circumstances were. Do you?

Guest TACTICAL45

Explain? I am new here, and do not know the past of anyone here... My guess from what you are saying is that there are a lot of vets, LE, or what ever, that have seen some one shot or have done it first hand? Fill me in......

deerslayer, you really can't tell by the pictures what took place?

Edited by TACTICAL45
Guest jackdog

to the topic.

If you require a safety on your firearm by all means purchasse a firearm that comes with one from the factory.

Finger off the the trigger ? By all means when at the range or other non combat activities.

But in a combat situation my finger will be on the trigger at all times. Does this mean that I have lost trigger control ? no it does not. It just means I squeeze the trigger when I have to.

The comment that Viet Nam suffered more deaths and injuries do to friendly fire is BS.

I would love to se that statement backed up with facts Rabbi. It Seems to me that with some of the comments you have made in regard to those who served in Viet Nam that you have an ax to grind. If this is your goal, Then open A thread and lets get on with it.

Guest TACTICAL45

See, part of my main problem is I have no choice on the Glock purchase, they are required by the department, and the Military aspect of it as well. Other than that I have no ax to grind with a Glock, every gun out there has a feature I don't like. I study the faults and find a way to make adjustments. My favorite hand gun I have ever owned/shot is the Hk Tactical .45, and compared to a Glock .45 sf, it is much bigger, and heavier. I bobbed the hammer, pulled the factory sights for a set of Tridjicon sights.

See, part of my main problem is I have no choice on the Glock purchase, they are required by the department, and the Military aspect of it as well.

I don’t understand. You are a Police Officer whose department requires that you carry a Glock with no other options and you are a part of a military unit that uses Glocks? :D

Guest GLOCKGUY
Then why would you have made your previous statement that seemed to imply you knew so much about everyone on the board?

thats what i was thinking. i saw i guy get shot 5 times in TX and he died right in front of me. does this make me qualified to carry a gun with no safety?:D J/K

Edited by GLOCKGUY

A Glock, a holster, and a bloody shirt. I know what you want me to assume, but I was not there and have no idea who did what. To assume makes an ASS of U and ME. Idiots assume. Did a kid pick up his daddy's gun/holster and have an ND? Was this the result of a fight that went to the ground and two guys struggling for a gun? Was someone drunk and fooling with his gun? Did someone get his trigger caught on something when re-holstering? If so, why does this make a Glock "unsafe?" Would it have been any different with an XD, M&P, SIG, H&K, Kahr, or a J frame? Of course, a Glock user must pay attention to his trigger at all times. If he is not willing/able to do so, he should choose one of the "safer" designs, maybe a traditional DA with a 12 pound trigger and a manual safety lever. I understand, although disagree with, many of the arguments against a Glock. I do not understand why Glocks get singled out, while nearly identical designs get a free pass.

BTW, I have seen and experienced, on an extremely personal level, the devastating consequences of a serious gunshot wound, even though I have not had 15 years of tactical whatever training.

Edited by deerslayer

I knew it couldn't stay friendly for long. :D

Lots of us here on this board know what a bullet can do to humans - other humans and ourselves.

Friendly fire deaths in Vietnam were about 14%.

The only military units I know that use Glocks are MPs.

Junglist,

I can see where you are coming from, I bet just about all members here have not seen first hand just exactly what a round can do to a human first hand. Or the aftermath of it as well. It is always your choise to carry one way or another if you are a civi., on duty weather LE, or Military is another story. Get caught by a superior, not following SOP and it will cost you for sure.....

I believe everyone should be on a constant state of suspicion now days. Be it from 911, or the guy on the corner, it can happen to anyone, anywhere. Do you have to be walking with a S on your chest, surely not, just keep your head up, and on a swivel.

yeah we have a large number of vets and several former or current cops here.
Guest TNDixieGirl

He's asked you twice now and you still haven't bothered to give an answer. What's the point in avoiding answering the simplest of questions on this thread? I'd like to know too. And no, I'm not psychic so I don't know either.

He's asked you twice now and you still haven't bothered to give an answer. What's the point in avoiding answering the simplest of questions on this thread? I'd like to know too. And no, I'm not psychic so I don't know either.

I don’t know if the story is true or not, but those pictures are said to be from a Deputy Sheriff in Louisiana that had been practicing at the range wearing a Sheriff Department windbreaker. After qualifying he reloaded and holstered the weapon. When he got home he pulled the paddle holster from his pants and apparently the draw stings on the windbreaker were caught in the trigger and the weapon discharged. It shot him in the leg.

I don’t know if the story is true or not, but those pictures are said to be from a Deputy Sheriff in Louisiana that had been practicing at the range wearing a Sheriff Department windbreaker. After qualifying he reloaded and holstered the weapon. When he got home he pulled the paddle holster from his pants and apparently the draw stings on the windbreaker were caught in the trigger and the weapon discharged. It shot him in the leg.

Yeah, that can happen. Getting stuff caught in the trigger well can cause any gun to fire.

Moral: check the trigger well before drawing the weapon out.

Yeah, that can happen. Getting stuff caught in the trigger well can cause any gun to fire.

Moral: check the trigger well before drawing the weapon out.

Not on a weapon with a manual safety engaged (assuming, as always, that the weapon is not malfunctioning.)

That's still no excuse for not paying attention and keeping the trigger guard clear unless you are ready to fire (or Mars trying to piss people off.)