Scary situation:easily prevented

There was another thread on here that I can't locate. It had 2 different 911 calls. One was a woman that called when she heard someone breaking in. She was still on the line when she was killed. The second was a woman who had called saying that someone was trying to breakin thru their patio sliding glass door. She told them that her husband had his pistol and was telling the guy thru the door that he should reconsider his actions but the guy continued until he broke the door and then you hear 2 shots. The woman is screaming and then the husband gets on the line and is surprisingly calm as he told the 911 operator what had just happened.

Maybe someone else can find that and provide the link to the thread. If so have then listen to those two calls. There is a good chance that even those won't help but it also might make them reconsider their view.

Good luck! My parents are both over 80 and they leave their back door open all day long. They can't comprehend the danger and nothing that I say will change that. I just pray that I don't go over and find them dead.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a story similar to this. Back in 1999-2001 I was going to school at TTC in Athens TN and lived across the road in some apartments. I had a 12 gauge pump at the time remington 870. Normally, when the maintenance man was to come the management would leave notes on everyone's doors letting us know or they would call. Well, they never called and never left a note. I was taking a shower and had the shotty in the bedroom with the bedroom door closed. I heard someone "moving around" in the den. I got out of the shower, wrapped a towell around me got the shotty and opened the bedroom door. There was a guy in the den that had his back to me. I said who the F are you and what the f are you doing in my apartment? He turned around saw the gun and his eyes got as big as quarters and I think he peed himself. Anyways, he said I am the maintenance man here to change the filter in your heating and air unit. I said do you have some id? He gave me some id that said he was a maintenance man but that wasnt good enough. I held him at gun point and called management. They confirmed he was their guy and had been sent to change that filter. I advised them to let me know ahead of time about this because I just pulled a gun on him. From then on I never had a problem with not knowing they were coming to do maintenance.

ROTFLMAO

That was you? I used to live right around the corner. That guy still talks about that to this day.

There was another thread on here that I can't locate. It had 2 different 911 calls. One was a woman that called when she heard someone breaking in. She was still on the line when she was killed. The second was a woman who had called saying that someone was trying to breakin thru their patio sliding glass door. She told them that her husband had his pistol and was telling the guy thru the door that he should reconsider his actions but the guy continued until he broke the door and then you hear 2 shots. The woman is screaming and then the husband gets on the line and is surprisingly calm as he told the 911 operator what had just happened.

Maybe someone else can find that and provide the link to the thread. If so have then listen to those two calls. There is a good chance that even those won't help but it also might make them reconsider their view.

Good luck! My parents are both over 80 and they leave their back door open all day long. They can't comprehend the danger and nothing that I say will change that. I just pray that I don't go over and find them dead.

That's the link I posted above.

Um dude, that is the one he posted LOL

You know after that incident I started getting two weeks notice and a reminder the day before via telephone lol.

Thus proving that you really can get more with a kind word and a gun, than with just the kind word. :tinfoil:

J.

So I have been a little annoyed by this for a while now and thought I would share what happened.

I was home alone a few weeks ago when the following took place. I was downstairs in my basement(yes college student still living at home) when I heard the front door open. I immediately go into defensive mode and grab my gun that was beside me. This is not normal b/c my parents don't use the front door ever, nor do they come home during the day very often.

A few seconds pass(seemed like hours) and I can hear someone moving around near the door. I am trying to plan what I should do next when I hear a deep voice say "hello"... This makes me somewhat at ease only because I don't think most robbers would announce their presence. But I wasn't taking any chances so I open my basement door looking up to find a repair-man staring back at me... Apparently my mom had hired him to work on the gas fireplace and decided I didn't need to know someone was going to be coming over.(she left a key outside)

The frustrating part is that my parents are oblivious to the basics. They give me grief when I double check the locks and my step-dad is always giving me crap about my gun being on my hip, on my nightstand etc....

Any suggestions on how I can teach them to use a little more common sense? Sorry for the long thread...

Dude, you need to be careful. If you had shot that guy...probably jail time. It would be tough to be in Castle mode and find out different.

Good to be safe, though. Do you all live in a high crime area?

As far as keping you from getting into a bad situation, how about installing latch bars or chains on the doors. You could latch them when you are there alone, and the repair guy would have to ring the door bell.

That won't fix the bigger issue, but it might keep you from getting surprised.

I don't know - I think that 'staging' something would have shock value but not much more. In fact, the ketchup scenario would probably just convince them that you are completely nuts and not to be taken seriously.

I think having an adult conversation is probably the best way to go. If you want to use 'shock value' in such a conversation, do some research.

Adult conversations are over-rated. :koolaid:

I think the mentality of "move out of your parents house" and "their house their rules" kinda misses the OP's point if I understand him correctly. It's not that he's complaining of a lack of privacy or respect from his parents. Sounds to me like he has issues with their general lack of concern for saftey. I don't live with my parents but I want them to think and live saftey minded for their own sakes.

Quite true... it's not entirely fair to just give up on them just because they continue to jeapordize their safety, and their son's safety. The un-used alarm system depicts perfectly their mentality... they have no reasonable fear. My first advise would be to find a way to convince them to use what they already have, so they would at least be aware... after that, one could pose the question "so what do you do when that alarm goes off, and you have to survive long enough for the police to arrive?".

Either way, it really is up to them how secure they want their own home to be... ie, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

My dad would always lock and re-lock every single door in our house when we went to bed at night or left the house( he always would ask if we locked up when we left for work, school etc...) Which was a good thing considering all the tools and stuff we had in the house. He would pitch a fit if he came home and one of us forgot to lock up.

Now me getting a gun didn't sit too well with my parents when i was still living at home, i had a bb gun( better little than nothing) and unbeknownst to me my dad had 3 handguns in his closet. So once i moved out here to Lincoln county, my mom became worried with me being so faraway from everyone that when i told her i was thinking on getting a handgun and a carry permit, she was a little skeptical, but she was supportive in my choice. I had a 22 rifle at the time, given to me by her sister at christmas 2008.

Now i probably will never convince my brother of my needing a gun ( He is definately Democrat and of all places living and working in Atlanta). He doesn't think here in rural TN, that anything bad will happen, I've tried to convince him that bad things happen no matter where you are, but he's stubborn and hardheaded( just like our mom was).

He refuses to be around me when I have my gun on me, so I'll either hide it (always conceal) or if i really know the area, leave it in my travel bag or where I'm staying for the night, that is if we go out on the town). One of these days, i hate to say it something bad will happen and he will wish i had my gun on me with him. So far only place i do not carry besides the prohibited places is work, and even then I feel naked without it.

Guest jimblasick

I ABSOLUTELY support your position that it is better to be armed than not. At the same time, I am concerned that you might nearly have shot the repairman!. You would probably have escaped liability with "reasonable doubt," but you could also still have shot (or killed) a fellow citizen who meant no harm. That's not good.

If your parents are slow learners and can't see the world the way you do - - - it's probably time to move out on your own, no matter how much ammunition you are unable to buy if you are paying your own bills. What do you want - welfare??

If your parents are slow learners and can't see the world the way you do - - - it's probably time to move out on your own, no matter how much ammunition you are unable to buy if you are paying your own bills. What do you want - welfare??

You lost me with the welfare comment....This has nothing to do with what I was asking in the OP......And I didn't almost shoot him, I simply approached the front door with my gun at my side...not pointed at him or near him.....

Guest Sgt. Joe
I am concerned that you might nearly have shot the repairman!. You would probably have escaped liability with "reasonable doubt," but you could also still have shot (or killed) a fellow citizen who meant no harm. That's not good.

Jim, try to understand that times are much different for todays young men than they were for us. Personally I had my first apartment shortly after turning 15 because I could not get along with my parents and their rules. I returned home to mom and dad long enough to finish HS thru a nighttime adult ed program while working two jobs, following their rules and paying them for rent and board. It was years later than I realized that the amount I had been paying was equal to double the mortgage each month. I was still only 16 at that time.

Shortly after graduation and turning 17 I joined the Army to get the heck outa dodge and have never returned (tolive with my parents). Things were much different back then but it just isnt that easy for todays youth especially those who wish to attend college. By the time I was 21, I was in the Army and had a wife and a child. College was never a consideration for me although I have wished many times over the years that it had been.

I admire the young people these days that do chose the college route and on top of that have concern for their parents. There are way more of them these days that dont give a rat's butt about anything other than the next video game or cell phone and expect someone to either buy these things for them or pay for their existence so that they can buy them for themselves with what little they do earn or they expect someone else to pay for both.

From Erik's posts it seems he is more concerned with his parent's overall safety than his own, which to me is an admiral concern on his part as it seems he can see the future when he wont be around and he just wants to change their way of thinking about things, again an admiral thing IMO. He is following their rules and they allow (while complaining) him to have his gun.

As for the repairman I think he acted just like many of us would have in similar situation. I carry 24/7 around my house but that dont mean I am going to automatically shoot someone that I dont know, even if they did mange to somehow get into my house without my knowledge, Most likely they would get shot but it is not a given. I think the young man handled the situation very well.

He only posted here to ask for advice on "how best" to help change his parents way of thinking, which from the posts seems to me to be in need of changing. His parents indeed need to wake up and "smell the news" so to speak.

I have not read anyone on here yet that thinks leaving keys for strangers is a good idea, nor have I read anyone say that they leave their doors unlocked just because they have a gun. Erik has a geniune concern about his parents seeminly lack of reality. Most all of us have friends or family that dont think like we do with regards to carry and guns in general and his question is one that many of us have had to deal with.

All people have to be dealt with differently and I think he has been given pretty much all the advice that can be given from full blown Shock to general conversation. He will have to pick somewhere in between that will work best for his parents and his situation.

And again I appalud his willingness to try and educate them.

I see no indication that he is looking for or expecting a handout or welfare nor do I see anything that indicates that he is unsafe with his gun(s). Remember he could well have killed that repairman and most likely have "goten away" with it.....but he didnt, that says quite a lot about his thought patterns. I know folks our age who carry and are just iching for a chance to shoot someone. Those folks scare me, from Erik's posts he does not.

I also know for certain it just isnt an easy thing to pick up and move these days, if it was I would be typing this from somewhere other than where I am.

Try and cut the young man some slack, he is doing the right things and asking the right people the right questions.

Dude, you need to be careful. If you had shot that guy...probably jail time. It would be tough to be in Castle mode and find out different.

Good to be safe, though. Do you all live in a high crime area?

I think you're wrong about that, as usual. Where you been anyway? Haven't seen you thread crapping as much lately.

You lost me with the welfare comment....This has nothing to do with what I was asking in the OP......And I didn't almost shoot him, I simply approached the front door with my gun at my side...not pointed at him or near him.....

Erik all these guys that are telling you to move out etc, forget them. Most of us here got your point and it's a good one. Too many people here like to completely forget the point of the post and just impart their limited knowledge to others by trying to sound how and mighty.

Not everybody is blessed with people that pay for their college or scholarships. So do what you can while you're home and hopefully in a couple years you will have your own place to secure better.

Thanks guys I appreciate the support. I got a lot of good advice.. I think he would take back the welfare comment if he knew that I paid off my car loan early, the money to pay for UT comes straight out of my checking account, and my credit score is in the top 10% of the nation....I work part-time and go to school full time... Ignorance is bliss Jim

Remember he could well have killed that repairman and most likely have "goten away" with it.....but he didnt, that says quite a lot about his thought patterns. I know folks our age who carry and are just iching for a chance to shoot someone. Those folks scare me, from Erik's posts he does not.

(snip)

Try and cut the young man some slack, he is doing the right things and asking the right people the right questions.

I doubt that the OP would have "gotten away" with anything had a shot been fired in the situation described. That's why I suggest that he be careful drawing his gun in his house until he talks with his parents about this.

Once you have knowledge that household members, especially the owners, are giving consent for strangers to enter the house at random times, you have to more dilligent in identifying a threat before you use deadly force. Eric did, in the described situation, back off, but he must be more careful now that he knows what his parents are doing.

I will assume that your parents aren’t stupid.

Some people do not live in fear and do not let what “could happen†dictate how they live their lives.

I’m one of those people, and being a former Cop I know what could happen better than most. I don’t carry a gun all the time, and although I have them handy in the house, I sure don’t carry a gun in my house. I feel sorry for people that feel they have to live that way.

Having said that though I have a Doberman as a house dog, so people walking in, or me needing to go look for an intruder when something goes bump in the night, do not apply to me. :up:

You are an adult living in your parent’s home. You need to respect them and their wishes. I’m over 50 and my 80 year old Mother doesn’t want guns in her house. So when I go there; the guns stay in the car.

If you don’t want to respect their wishes…. Move out. I’m not saying that being a smart ass, I’m just looking at the situation. Plenty of people go to school full time and have apartments. It just obviously isn’t a priority to you; but your parents’ wishes should be.