Kimber Custom II or SA Loaded?

Guest PatriotCSA

Guest PatriotCSA

Getting closer to buying my 1911. Will probably do it this weekend. I've been all over Memphis and North MS comparing prices and handling guns. I upped my budget a shade with the ok from the boss. My best gun buddy (a 1911 owner) has been with me on most of my trips out to give his input. One gun that we saw and really liked was the SA Loaded. I've been told it's very hard to get and need to get it quickly if I decide I want it (by the shops that did not have them). I also saw a Kimber Custom II today that I liked as well. What are your opinions? Kimber seems to be a brand that is loved or hated. My buddy owns two Kimbers and likes them ok, but has admitted he would have gone another route if he could do it over. I've also browsed the older threads here and seen a few reviews of Kimber that weren't so good. Other folks downright love them.

Between the SA Loaded and the Kimber, what are your opinions? Both are around $800. That's my absolute maximum. If there's one better that fits that budget let me know.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have had horrible luck with my Kimber. It was a gift from my parents or you can be sure that it would be out of my collection by now. I know plenty of folks that love Kimbers and have had great luck with them. If it were me I would go the SA route. This gun has been one of the biggest disappointments in my life.

I have a Kimber Ultra II (Tactical) and a SA Loaded Champion Commander - They're both great guns, but I have to agree with your buddy that I probably wouldn't buy a Kimber again due to price vs value/performance. I love the Champion, and have never had any problems or issues with it - for several hundred dollars less than the Kimber.

Guest 10mm4me

If I didn't have a disease caused Glockitis which involuntary renders me incapable of buying any semi-auto but Glock, I would be all over a Kimber Custom II. Alota gun for a little $$$

I am also in the market for a 1911. I live in the Memphis area and I am going to start my search soon. I have not decided if I am going to trade my M&P .45 or wait a few more weeks and pay cash. I have pretty much decided that I am going to get the SA Loaded in stainless/blk if I can find one.

Guest PatriotCSA

Fwiw, the Guns and Ammo across the line in MS is not so heavy with the attitude in my experience. The one on Summer is just ridiculous. Great selection, but other than that I don't know how they stay in business.

Fwiw, the Guns and Ammo across the line in MS is not so heavy with the attitude in my experience. The one on Summer is just ridiculous. Great selection, but other than that I don't know how they stay in business.

Oh, I love the one in MS. Good people, decent selection, but not compared to the stockpile on Summer.

Link, your best bet is Guns & Ammo on Summer...as far as being able to walk in and maybe find one. Then you get to put up with their 'tude.

I would not trade your M&P unless you have little choice.

Yeah, I know about the 'tude. I have purchased 7 guns from them in the last year or so and they still treat me like I owe them something. I was going to look at The Gun Exchange in Olive Branch, or that place in Cordova on Germantown Rd. I don't have to trade the M&P, but it will be a few more weeks before I have the cash I need. I have actually been saving money to buy a new 1911, 308 or 6.8 rifle. Do you remember when people used to do that instead of paying 28% on a credit card?

They have good guys in the Southaven store. I have purchased ammo, EOtech scope and 3xmagnifier from them and they were always friendly.

No one in Memphis has the inventory that the Guns and Ammo store on Summer Ave. has. The only weapon that I have had to wait on was my M&P 15-22 and that was only a matter of days.